WIP: Neutrino Probe - The Business End

trekprops.de

Hi everybody,

It's been a while but I finally managed to make some progress on my Neutrino Probe project! What I've been working on lately is the front section of the tool which contains the emitter and everything - originally made from a nose hair trimmer. It’s a very detailed piece that consists of four separate parts right now (I’m not sure yet how I’m going to mold it though). And four very tiny parts I might add. The smallest one is only 5 mm in width!

Here's the original and my schematics again:

neutrino_probe_iaw_2.jpg

Schematics.jpg

And here are my scratch-built parts:

neutrino_probe_wip4_0913.jpg

neutrino_probe_wip4_0916.jpg

neutrino_probe_wip4_0908.jpg

Wanna see how I built it? Well, then head over to the article on my blog - there's over 30 WIP pics there with detailed descriptions on how I made each of these pieces!

Feel free to also leave a comment there (in addition to replying here of course ;)) - I'd love to hear what you think!

Thanks for looking. :)

the tip looks like an led with something clear like mono-filament wrapped around it. are you going to do something like that to light your up?

Maybe you should make a little mold of your tip piece and cast it in clear resin. You could then back light it with a blue LED.

I think i have that trimmer sitting in my parts box lol. I bookmarked your WIP because its a neat prop and a great example of how to build with styrene.

the tip looks like an led with something clear like mono-filament wrapped around it.
I think the original was made from turned acrylic or something. Kinda looks that way...

Maybe you should make a little mold of your tip piece and cast it in clear resin. You could then back light it with a blue LED.
That's exactly what I'm going to do! ;)

I think i have that trimmer sitting in my parts box lol. I bookmarked your WIP because its a neat prop and a great example of how to build with styrene.
Very cool, would you mind sending me a pic of that trimmer you have?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back