Doctor Who - 1960s TARDIS Console build

Celation

Hi All,

Fairly new here, though a lurker for some time. I've mainly stuck to TARDIS and Who forums before, but thought I'd air my work here - not least because I've had some interesting leads on components from some of the threads here.

I've been working on a 1960s TARDIS console - attempting to get as accurate as possible - as many here will understand.

So - I'm working on this style of console:

3402-consoleovervieworig.jpg

This is the first panel I've replicated:

3403-panel6orig.jpg

And mine:

3768-panel6complete.jpg

I've tracked down the correct lenses in the circular frames. The switches are scratch built, as is the large lever box and the circular lights. The silver handle is the weak point at the moment, and will be replaced with a resin version - or rather two, as per the earlier version.

This is the next panel in progress. I've tracked down the original model of meter used, and the other style of lens.

3405-panel5progress.jpg

I've also had some luck (is it still luck when it takes months?) and much help in tracking down other components, such as the original style of basket used at the base of the central column.

Original:

3409-columnorig.jpg

My work-in-progress:

3410-paddlewheelbegin.jpg

3407-silverbasket.jpg

I've just had a whole bunch of switches cast up to continue with the build, too:

3406-switchcastings.jpg

And a few of the more intricate bits have been built, like the Fast Return Switch:

3408-fastreturn1.jpg

So - one panel pretty much complete, and two in progress.

Plenty more to do!

C.

Last edited:
Your attention to detail is yielding great rewards. I've been watching this build elsewhere, and I've gotta say, you appear to have made quite a bit of progress since last I saw.

Really great stuff man. Keep up the top notch work.

I am truly impressed! Fantastic work indeed. What type of basket is that anyway?

Defectfully
Patrick

That's looking great! :cool:thumbsup

Don't forget the all-important broken Mercury switch, designed to prevent you from going anywhere.

Karl

Thanks folks.

That's looking great! :cool:thumbsup
Don't forget the all-important broken Mercury switch, designed to prevent you from going anywhere.

Yes - that deserted city over there might have something I can use... Ahem. Anyway... :)

Hogosha/Patrick: The basket is part of an old 50s/60s kitchen rack. Coloured plastic baskets which stand in a 3-tiered rack. I had to trim the legs off and cut some of the "windows" from the grid to match the original (as I imagine the Shawcraft builders did). One is also visible in the Dalek production line sequence in Power of the Daleks - complete with legs.

C.

That is looking AMAZING so far. My favorite TARDIS console too. All your hard work and research is paying off splendidly. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

It's threads like this that keep me coming back to this site on a daily basis. People dedication and commitment surprises me all the time. I love it!

Thanks for the great comments.

A small update to progress. The completed aluminium panel from console panel 5.

3607-aluminium-panel-panel-5.jpg

The original (in a rather battered state - and missing a few bits) can be seen on the far left here:

3402-consoleovervieworig.jpg

All switches/potentiometers are real, so will be able to control lights etc..

Next on the list is competion of the radiation meter - the wedge-shaped grey box on the far left.

C.

Looks cool.

Are those lights ping-pong balls?

Cheers. They are - yes - set in styrene.

Originally they may have been Cobex or something similar. The version on the original console is a darker yellow when unlit - and staining the ping-pong balls doesn't really do the trick.
I might replace them at some point.

No need to replace them, they look good.

In that first B&W photo they look really glossy.
Maybe hit them with some clear coat (and a few coats might give the white a bit of a yellowish tint)

;)

Last edited:
Some further progress...

Panel 5 is nearly complete. A couple of small additions to make, but otherwise done. Panel 1 is well on the way, too.

5993-panels-5-6.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back