Rambo's Explosive Arrow Tips - FINISHED with pics

Re: Rambo's Explosive Arrow Tips?

Even in this shot, you can see a difference. The copper version (which I think is what I have) looks more slender than the gold.

Oddly, the gold one has only three rings...

rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambocomeshome3.jpg-38767d1290105415

rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambocomeshome4.jpg-39120d1290567080

Gah! No - the copper one is NOT the one I have! Though the porportions look like it.

The gold one has the same number of rings I have, but the copper one seems to have the same porportions!

rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambocomeshome4.jpg-39120d1290567080

slightly off-topic, but the sling used for the quiver is an M-60 machinegun sling.
Cisco%20Rambo%20Bowshot.jpg

81000-2.jpg

I spoke with the prop guy (close friend of mine at the time) that made the quiver and sling for the new Rambo movie and told them it was a found item in the old film.
they still opted to make their own.:rolleyes

Heh!

All of this has inspired me to finish my own explosive tip arrowsheads and box! :thumbsup

Bought these a long time ago too:

Letraset.jpg

Funny though... I just took a close look at my Razorbaks...

They only have three rings on the sheaths. :confused

(Mine are 25mm at the base as well.)

Kevin

Heres my box. The only problem I found was getting the right paint to take to the plastic, and no matter what paint you use, it will still come off from the plastic hinges, but thats just how it is guys. :)

tips.jpg

tips2.jpg

tips3.jpg

Looking at the rambo First Blood part 2 tips, they just put some kind of soft putty in the hole, then painted over it, as you can see the blades in some of the pics.

What kind are the "other" non explosive arrowheads?

Also when painting the box- the interior looks totally flat black but the exterior (with the exception of the "EXPLOSIVES" card) looks satin to me.

Thoughts?

Sweet collection there Raven! :thumbsup

Kevin

Heh!

All of this has inspired me to finish my own explosive tip arrowsheads and box! :thumbsup

Bought these a long time ago too:

Letraset.jpg

Funny though... I just took a close look at my Razorbaks...

They only have three rings on the sheaths. :confused

(Mine are 25mm at the base as well.)

Kevin

Cool - now send me the extra letters s when you're done! ;)

I think you and I have the identical type sheath.

Looking at the rambo First Blood part 2 tips, they just put some kind of soft putty in the hole, then painted over it, as you can see the blades in some of the pics.

Raven how did you fill yours? I like the convex end cap you created and intend to do the same.

Do you have any more insight to the various types of sheaths?

Last edited:

Also when painting the box- the interior looks totally flat black but the exterior (with the exception of the "EXPLOSIVES" card) looks satin to me.

I thought exactly the same thing. Seems very odd to me that they would be painted two different colors, but I agree the inside seems more matte than the outside.

Kev
The "Other" heads a Ripper heads. The were made from the 1950's and come as copper color, its then up to you, as I did, to polish them and paint them. Yeah its satin, but the movie version might have been matt. The same kind of box was used again in Rambo 3 in the deleted knife making scene, minus the "Explosives" card.

razback.jpg

razback2.jpg

razback3.jpg

Raven how did you fill yours? I like the concave end cap you created and intend to do the same.

Do you have any more insight to the various types of sheaths?

Yep, I filled mine, then I came across end caps that fit straight on, I have fitted them yet, but will as ive gotta repaint two of the heads anyway, as the copper paint I used had a laquer in it, which the movie versions did not. I have no idea about the sheaths, all I know is that they have 5 rings and thats it.

I thought exactly the same thing. Seems very odd to me that they would be painted two different colors, but I agree the inside seems more matte than the outside.

Ran out of paint and didn't feel like getting more on the fly maybe?

I ran a search on fleabay and didn't see any that style pop up, all the razobacks I found were in cardboard boxes.

Alright, I took my heads and filled them with Quick Wood epoxy putty. I tried to do it as closely to what the originals appear to be as possible.. just pressing it in and smoothing it out a bit but not trying to make it perfect. Once this cures, I will hit it VERY lightly with sandpaper just to smooth is every so slightly, but I want to leave it slightly rough. Sorry for the poor pic. Will get some paint and try to post up painted heads next week.

View attachment 39167

I think I am going to use a coat of black Krylon fusion first as the originals appear to have black underneath the gold and it should help to ensure the gold stays on better. I have painted the case, inside flat black and outside satin black. Still need to make the card with "EXPLOSIVES" on it. This was just a test run, so I will probably throw these up in the junkyard once complete.

Cool - now send me the extra letters s when you're done! ;)

Sure! But there are only two "X"s, so here's hoping I don't mess this up on the first try. ;)

Of course we could always try and use our printers for this too (something I honestly didn't think of until last night :confused :lol)

I think you and I have the identical type sheath.

Indeed. I'm curious as to how "vintage" the correct sheaths would be.

I tried to do it as closely to what the originals appear to be as possible.. just pressing it in and smoothing it out a bit but not trying to make it perfect. Once this cures, I will hit it VERY lightly with sandpaper just to smooth is every so slightly, but I want to leave it slightly rough.

They look good Art!

Part of me thinks that the "rough putty look" could be the explosives material itself?

(Not saying it was the Prop Department's intention when they created these arrowheads- but could be an "in universe" explanation?)

At any rate I'll be doing the rough look as well. :thumbsup

Kevin

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back