Rambo's Explosive Arrow Tips - FINISHED with pics

Re: Rambo's Explosive Arrow Tips?

I doubt this is how the screen-used version was done, but have you guys considered dying the plastic box black first? I've dyed a couple of existing plastic items with some success. It may not come out black, but it would be darker than orange and if the hinges/corners get scuffed or flake from handling, it may not show as bad.

Just a thought....

Jon,

I hadn't thought of that, but you are absolutely right.. and if I had it to do again, that is exactly what I would try. I have had some success with certain plastics taking dye really well... and this would have been a good one to try! Ack! Why, sir... why? Why couldn't you have posted this about 12 hours ago?!?

I doubt this is how the screen-used version was done, but have you guys considered dying the plastic box black first? I've dyed a couple of existing plastic items with some success. It may not come out black, but it would be darker than orange and if the hinges/corners get scuffed or flake from handling, it may not show as bad.

Just a thought....

OK here's a random Rambo question or two...

Unrelated to the props or arrow tips, but in First Blood, Rambo take Galt's jacket - why doesn't he wear it?

And after immobilizing the police troops in the forest, why not take their rifles (or one or two)?

A while since I've watched it, but isn't his knife in Galt's jacket pocket or something?

Unrelated to the props or arrow tips, but in First Blood, Rambo take Galt's jacket - why doesn't he wear it?

And after immobilizing the police troops in the forest, why not take their rifles (or one or two)?

Stallone mentions this subject (about the jacket), but I suppose it would have spoiled the look of the character, Im not sure, but he may have used it on the scarecrow in the forest. There is also many scenes that were shot, added to the original draft, and were subsequently removed. The original cut was some 3 hrs. many american TV versions, show many scnes not in the version we know and love today, as much of the violence was axed, and this rare footage added to pad it out with. Extended manhunt scene, rambo checking galts rifle, Rambo ordering a take out at the start, Galts body being loaded into a helecopter and many more. so maybe, there is a deleted scene where we see what happens to the jacket. When I was having dinner with Stephen Chang (the guy who cuts rambo chest in the flashback), he told me they shot many scenes in Vietnam, one of which was showing you how Rambo was captured, its a shame this footage isnt released.

He did take an M16, which he shot at the national guard with, but at the end of the day, its Hollywood, and we all know the laws in Hollywood land, dont match up with common sense in the real world. like why is rambo running about the jungles of Vietnam with just a tanktop on, where a small scratch could lead to bad infection, and why does rambo run around the desert in the same way, has he got a built in sunblock?...no, its just Hollywood. lol

Last edited:

Further to removed scenes, look at Rambo First Blood part 2, when Rambo jumps out of the DC10 and has landed, he checks his compass, then grabs hold of a snake, he then runs up a bank, and on the blade of his knife, you can clearly see blood on it, where did that come from, as Rambo didnt kill the snake????? ;-)

Well... He did take Galt's rifle didn't he?

He shot two of the three dobermans tracking him with it.

I actually have First Blood on vhs that I taped off the tv in the early 80s- I remember the "checking Galt's rifle" scene (occurs right after he sews his arm up).

Speaking of which... I made these a couple of years back-

sewingfinal001.jpg

Letitgofinal002.jpg

Kevin

Just a thought....

Sorry but what do you mean by "dying the plastic" ????? Difficult to "translate" that technic in french....sorry :$ and thanks to make the light on that please :thumbsup

Art, PH do you mind me asking what you guys ended up paying for the broad heads?

Since the thread started I've been browsing and theres a set on the bay for around $60, wanted to know if thats high side or cheap?

About 30% higher...

Here's a question - since the sheaths are not removed for the explosive tips, would it be critical to get the Razorbak>5's (for screen accuracy), or might it be more prudent to focus on a more accurate sheath on a different model tip?

About 30% higher...

Here's a question - since the sheaths are not removed for the explosive tips, would it be critical to get the Razorbak>5's (for screen accuracy), or might it be more prudent to focus on a more accurate sheath on a different model tip?

From what i have seen on the various models, ideally you need the 5 ring sheath which is narrow, as most of the 3 ring sheaths seem wider. I personally think you guys will find them on fleabay, as they crop up all the time. :)

Art, PH do you mind me asking what you guys ended up paying for the broad heads?

Since the thread started I've been browsing and theres a set on the bay for around $60, wanted to know if thats high side or cheap?

I think I paid $40 for mine.

OK guys, thanks to a tip , I picked up a set of RAZORBAK>4's off eBay.

The 4's have the five ribbed sheath (that sounds awful).

But some interesting differences between the tips. Mainly, with either sheath, the bottom edge of the blades on the 4's stick out the bottom of the sheath.

But in the end, I will somehow work with the five ribbed sheaths (here we go again). They are both shorter, and wider at the base, and to me seem closer to the correct porportions of the film-used set.

Here are some pics.

RAZORBAK>5 sheath on top, RAZORBAK>4 sheath on bottom
rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambo-001.jpg-39931d1291430605

RAZORBAK>4 sheath on left, RAZORBAK>5 sheath on right
rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambo-002.jpg-39932d1291430605

RAZORBAK>4 on left with blades sticking out bottom; RAZORBAK>5 on right
rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambo-004.jpg-39933d1291430605

And to bring forward an image from earlier in the thread
rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-riiimoviearrow.jpg-38766d1290105415

See - no blades sticking out
rambos-explosive-arrow-tips-rambo_ii_explosive_arrowheads_03.jpg-39934d1291431240

Last edited:

Who knew we could generate six pages on such simple prop for such a cornball film.

Though it should be archived.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back