Iron Man Foam Build - Mark VI

AsgardAssassin

Hi Guys

OK, so I've been told to start a thread with my Iron Man foam build.

This is a slow work in progress as I struggle to find the time so be patient with the updates!

I started out with some camping mats from my local supermarket, and a hell of a lot of hot glue sticks (eBay sells 50 for £5).

The foam used is very smooth, no dimples so I hope this will paint well!

I used A3 paper to free hand most of my templates, using reference images from the internet and a little bit of imagination.

This by no means is gonna be movie accurate, I am just trying to capture the general feel of the Mark VI suit, so please do not criticise my lack of detail in comparison to the movie suit.

Firstly, I have started with the chest. I made a vest out of the mats as a starting point.
photo1.jpg

I have then created pieces that would stick to the chest with a hot glue gun, which by the way takes insane amounts!

Please ignore the different coloured foams, this was due to a change in stock at my local supermarket!

Here is what I have so far...

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I had to wrap a coat hanger round the suit to help bend some shape into the foam...

photo5.jpg

I have also made an Arc Reactor out of perspex and a push LED light to fit in the chest, which runs on batteries...

photo.jpg

More to follow, but this will be a slow process!

Last edited:
Re: (Another) Iron Man Foam Build - Mark VI

Thanks guys, it really means a great deal as I have never ever attempted anything like this before!

I have finished the build of the chest piece, and used coat hangers bedded into hot glue to keep the shoulder shape.

I shall post pictures soon!

OK guys...

So I used wire hangers to maintain the shoulder shape...
insidecoathangers.jpg

finishedside.jpg

This has made the shoulders look better, as they were not following my shape...

finishedchest.jpg

Here is the back, I'm not sure what extra detail to add, I will happily listen to suggestions or criticism here!...

finishedback.jpg

And here is a picture with the arc reactor in place (I had to use flash so you could see the armour)...

withlight.jpg

Excuse my noobiness but what is perspex and where can you get it? I'm assuming it's like EL Sheet?

Perspex is just rigid plastic sheets. Comes in all sorts of sizes, colours and tints.

Can be used for all sorts of things!

Looks good. As far as detailing, the more pics you can look at, the better. When i was building my suit, i had a big folder on my computer with dozens of reference photos. Look for photos of the maquettes, scale models and figurines of Iron man, those usually have great detail and show off lots of different angles and poses. And since they're mostly movie accurate, they'll steer you in the right direction as far as shapes, and details.

just a little update guys.
I have built the neck seal and codpiece, going to coat them in PVA this weekend to give them some more rigidity and be ready for paint.
I have given the chest piece three coats of PVA and thrown some grey primer at it. I plan on using some household Polyfiller on a couple of minor spots (I have been told this will do the job) and then give it the red paint job.
I have been told to use Pepper Red (from Halfords in the UK) which I am also using on my Helmet.
I will post some pics this weekend....

Hi Guys

Finally got some pieces made and ready for paint.
The detail may not be exact movie accurate but I am more than happy considering I've never done this before.

I filled the chest and back piece with some filler, sanded and threw some red primer at it. There are still some imperfections but I will sort them before final paint...
PrimedFront.jpg

PrimedBack.jpg

I have made a cod piece and ab section. I have a wrap around lower body section which I have yet to fix to the ab plate.

This feels like my best part, I think with paint the abs will look awesome!
Abs.jpg

I have also built two arms - biceps and forearms.
I have bolted the elbow piece to the bicep section and this pivots when I bend and straighten my arm...
Arm2.jpg

Arm1.jpg

I am really happy with my work, but I am open to criticism! I think the extra bulk will add to the overall look when painted!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back