another HIC build!...

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, my dream of having a life-size Han in Carbonite looks like it may be a reality! :)

With much research, and help from guys here on the RPF, I started the build today.

My first step was trimming my "fast cast" VashDstampede full HIC casting. (That had been sitting in my garage since Clinton was in office! :eek) I used an angle grinder with an all purpose cutting blade. It went really well, just had to go slow and take my time. I wore eye and breathing protection. I trimmed about 3" from the outer edge.

Once trimmed, it now fits in my MDF top frame perfectly. The next step (with that part of the build) will be finding a way to support it from underneath and raise Han up a bit, I'll get to that tomorrow.

I also went ahead and assembled the "box" that I had cut from a local CNC shop in 5/8" MDF. The plans are floating around here on the RPF and (I guess) are the most accurate out there. The "box" has all kinds of different angles and the top and bottom are different widths. It's not just a simple box, although I wish it were...:lol

It seemed to go together pretty well, lots of wood glue and screws.

I'm in a race to get this all done before the snow flies! :cool

More updates to follow...

brad

Some more progress today...

I'm overbuilding the heck outa this thing, so it's gonna way a ton! :confused

I feel like I have the underside very well supported, but I was concerned that the top would potentially move around too much. I decided to use 2x3's to support the top MDF frame instead of "1x" (3/4") lumber.

I'm planning on using 1/2" plywood to cover the side panel openings. Again, it's probably overkill, but I don't want to skimp and have it not be rigid enough, and I want something that I can drill into to attach side panels.

thanks

brad

Looking great thus far Brad. Thanks for taking the time out to take these pics. Can't wait to see the next batch of progress pics!

Finally got the inner supports done and the top MDF frame attached.

I used an orbital sander to clean up all the edges that didn't line up perfectly.

I now need to attach Han to the box making sure he's the right depth.

Next step will be bondo the seams and screw/nail holes and around Han.

Then I plan to do a couple coats of shellac on the MDF followed by several coats of primer. Then worry about the final paint colors.

It's been a lot of work but really kinda fun. I'm no wood worker but quickly becoming one...:love

It's not the kind of project that you can throw together, that's for sure! But I think it's gonna be worth it!

thanks

brad

another update...

I added differing thicknesses of plywood (for Han to attach to) based on the varying thickness of the Han panel. The plywood used varied from 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" thick. This allowed the panel to sit flush with the top frame of the box.

Next step was using bondo on all the seams. I'd never worked with the stuff before and it's stinky and nasty! It really is pretty easy to work with and I now know why it's so valuable for so many applications.

I just ended up slapping the bondo on to fill the seams around the panel, and I really liked the look. It blends pretty seamlessly with the rest of the carbonite "thing" going on. We'll see how it all looks finished up.

I then taped off Han and put a couple coats of shellac on the MDF to help seal it up. Vos used something similar for his build that he called "button polish." I think that's what the Brits call shellac...:love

Finally, my first coat of primer! I'm researching my best options for finish colors. If anyone has any input or remembers what they used please let me know.

thanks!

brad

Here is a test shot of the left foot area. Silver automotive paint applied then a light black acrylic wash added.

The wash really works well on the MDF frame, but wants to kind of pool and bubble up on the Han panel. I guess because it's plastic?

Anyway, after I rubbed it in a bit with a rag it seemed to give a nice look.

Has anyone ever used "Rub-n-Buff" on their HIC? Maybe as the last finish to make the high areas "pop"...?

thanks

brad

On the HIC Neil sent me, I used very fine steel wool on the high areas and the automotive paint shined up nicely in much the same way rub-n-buff does. Gave it a nice metallic "pop." You might try that first before trying rub-n-buff.

It's lookin' very cool. I joined a while back just because I want to make one of these. I've read several posts here (and other sites) in preparation.
I'll be watching this one as well. Good job.

I'm trying to get a front panel now but have been successful in getting Stormrider to answer any PMs or emails about it. I would like to secure that before buying everything else.

Last edited:
Lufo1138...that's a good idea, I'll try that before I try the rub-n-buff. I went with a Tamiya top coat on the Han panel, so that may not be as durable as an automotive paint?

DreamCrusher...Welcome to the RPF! I think I read that Stormrider's HIC panels might be out of commission for awhile due to the winter weather. I'd keep on him.

I ran into a little snag with my primer. I used the same primer for the whole project, but it didn't like the resin Han panel at all, and wanted to come off. So I stripped off ALL the primer on the Han panel (with Easy Off oven cleaner!) and used an automotive "self etching" primer made by Dupli-Color. It's made to really grab plastic.

Today I got the two different colors applied. Next step is weathering...

DreamCrusher...Welcome to the RPF! I think I read that Stormrider's HIC panels might be out of commission for awhile due to the winter weather. I'd keep on him.

Will do. I thought he had a couple already poured for someone that backed out. Anyway, I'm done jacking your thread now.

That looks awesome. Great color. Can't wait to see it after the weathering.

Yeah Stormrider is halting all HIC parts for now since winter is upon us and it messes with the curing time I think.

@DW that is coming along nice. Good to see you have an indoor spot to work on this since the weather has been crap lately. Look forward to more updates

Looking good.

A couple of questions...I did an HIC earlier this year and I'm about to redo the cabinet since I think I can do better.

One thing I've struggled with is the color. So many of the HIC projects I've seen have a paint job that looks, to my eyes, way too silvery. it seems like the one from the films is way darker, with more of a matte finish than a bright silvery one.

I also had a tough time with the cabinet...I wanted a slightly darker color for contrast but just couldn't find a good color.

Dark Whitey, if you could let me know what colors you used that would be great.

Thanks.

A couple of questions...

One thing I've struggled with is the color. So many of the HIC projects I've seen have a paint job that looks, to my eyes, way too silvery. it seems like the one from the films is way darker, with more of a matte finish than a bright silvery one.

I also had a tough time with the cabinet...I wanted a slightly darker color for contrast but just couldn't find a good color.

Dark Whitey, if you could let me know what colors you used that would be great.

Thanks.

Yeah, getting the colors right is just another one of the many hurdles in the HIC project. :confused

It's so hard to know where to even start, so I went with the colors Reel Fakes used in his build here...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/yet-another-han-solo-carbonite-wip-101092/

The box is Krylon Stainless Steel, I had to special order it from my local Ace Hardware. The Tamiya Gloss Aluminum comes in the small cans, I found these at the local hobby shop.

A couple notes on painting. I learned the hard way to use different primers on the Han panel and the wood box. The Rust-Oleum primer I originally used on the whole project started to come off of the Han panel, so I ended up stripping it off and going with the automotive "self etching" primer I mentioned above.

The Tamiya is a really nice silver color, not too bright or too "metallic-y". The Krylon is much darker with a subtle metallic look. Both paints covered very nicely. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pics but there is quite a contrast between the two colors. Check out the pics Reel Fakes posted in his thread too.

I'm working on weathering everything now, and I'm trying to lighten the box a bit to better match the Han panel. This may not be easy. I'm gonna try a series of silvery/black acrylic washes.

To me eye, the HIC always seemed to be one color. If anything, maybe a slight difference between Han panel and box. I know most guys say it's two different colors. I almost think the way to go is paint the whole thing one color, then go in and make the box darker with more washes than the Han panel. :confused

I started this thread were people could post what they used...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/hic-finish-colors-whatd-you-use-101414/

This probably just adds to your confusion! Please post what colors you use when you decide.

brad

I am so impressed by the build and the time it took. This is preparing me on what I will be looking forward to on my HIC.. whew..

Allan

Just got my HIC rehung with new paintwork.

The box is Tamiya Light Gun Metal (TS-42)

The Han panel is Tamiya Aluminum Silver (TS-17)

Weathered with a light black acrylic wash on the whole thing. A little heavier wash on the box.

I'm pretty happy with these colors. Man, this prop is a hard one to get the color just perfect! :)

No side panles attached yet. I've got a set from Darthchromer that I need to assemble, prime and paint. Then try to hook up the electronics too. :confused

brad

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back