Model Hogwarts

Nicely done Clay! (y)cool:thumbsup I have just recently been getting into these fantastically large model castles and architectural scaled structures. I was just speaking with Richard Long and Matt Meyer today about the Beauty and the Beast Castle. Indeed.. I very much like what you have done.

Thanks!
-Clay

New Hogwarts model in HO scale photos from Great Sacle Model Train Show at Maryland State Fairgrounds last weekend:

2z3q7x2.jpg

24q79ef.jpg

Last edited:
Working on Hogsmeade Station now.
Here's a shot of it as of 5/3/11 about half done. I'm going for a damp pavement look. Hagrid will need to carry his pink imbrella.
Next comes plant beds and out-of-control weeds and ivy, fencing with gates, benches and lamp posts - then on to environs land contours, scenery, landscaping, railroad ballast (gravel) and crossings, switching signals and backboard. I also ordered a very realistic-looking styrene sheet from Kibri of track running through cobblestones to work in to the right of the cross-over bridge.
a0j85j.jpg

-Cgraham

I love the Hogsmeade station! Very beautiful, and you're right, it does look just like from the movies!

And randomly speaking from earlier, the new trailer is out, lots of great details of the castle, anyone started dissecting it? Probably too much for a real model, but I bet an amazing CG model could be constructed...

I love the Hogsmeade station! Very beautiful, and you're right, it does look just like from the movies!

And randomly speaking from earlier, the new trailer is out, lots of great details of the castle, anyone started dissecting it? Probably too much for a real model, but I bet an amazing CG model could be constructed...

I watched the trailer so much, I've noticed pretty much every change in the castle's appearance. Also, you notice alot if you watch the trailer for the Part 2 videogame. The videogame always has the castle exterior the exact same as the corresponding movie :)

Duff Goldman made one outa cake!!

tumblr_lhtlujydNT1qc5xzo.jpg

That is awesome! I remember seeing that from a few years ago. The only bad thing is its not exact. It would be more epic if it was. Its still really cool though.

Hey Griffindor,

I created the master sculpture for Noble. My father and I worked together on the project. It was an extremely challenging model, to say the least.

As far as getting any blue prints or architectural drawings, they will only come from the production company. We received exact drawings and blue prints and foot prints of all of the individual buildings and how the related to one another. It is the only way to ensure an accurate model.

That doesn't mean that info will not be available someday, we can only hope.:unsure

Looking forward to see your progress.

Scott

Hey Griffindor,

I created the master sculpture for Noble. My father and I worked together on the project. It was an extremely challenging model, to say the least.

As far as getting any blue prints or architectural drawings, they will only come from the production company. We received exact drawings and blue prints and foot prints of all of the individual buildings and how the related to one another. It is the only way to ensure an accurate model.

That doesn't mean that info will not be available someday, we can only hope.:unsure

Looking forward to see your progress.

Scott

The master sculpture? You mean like the original model of Hogwarts Noble has? That is soo cool!! Yeah, I have a few reference things I've drawn not to scale of course but just by sight of what I've seen from the movies. I also use the videogames too because they do have detail on the castle.

I hope they release their information someday. Maybe it'll be at Leavesden after they open the exhibit there, they may have all their cool stuff and the actual model of the castle they use there too.

I want to be an architect so I want to do this because it'll help me learn some stuff and its Harry Potter related too! :) I'll probably create a scale somehow that looks right. I want it to be bigger than the Noble sculpture but not too big.

Hey Clay,
Every time I see your Hogwarts I am amazed!!! Love how your Hogsmeade Station is turning out. Like I said, after you finish this you will have to make a Diagon Alley and a Hogsmeade Village :) Welcome and glad to see you over here at RPF. You never know who you will find here :lol
Linda (woozelmom)

Griff,

If you intend to be an architect, you will have to be able to build an architectural model. It will be required. I have created a lot of architectural models for Lenox. (Lenox Procelain, not the heating & cooling co.:lol)

I sculpted their Lighthouse series and their great Castles of the World series. By doing those sculptures I educated myself on period styles of lighthouse design the in USA as well as domestic house style periods and European castle & cathedrals. It is quite fascinating. You will enjoy it!

For your Hogwarts, may I suggest N scale. There are figures and architectural components you will be able to purchase to help you in constructing the beast. Yes, it is a beast of a design to duplicate, but very cool, very creative.

The software used in architecture could help you with your Hogwarts. My father took all of the drawings they provided and re-drew them by hand so we could work with them as a sculpture.:eek
If you worked on the computer, it would more accurate and much easier to make changes before you go 3D.

Please use the link below to see the various architectural projects I mentioned, as well as the Hogwarts master sculpt and paint master guide.

SRS Prototyping - Home > Architecture

Good luck!

Regards,

Scott

Scott,
I think building models would be fun. Those models are completely amazing! I love castles a lot. I would love to be able to do something like that one day. Lighthouses are so cool! My room used to be lighthouse themed before I got a ton of Harry Potter stuff. One day I hope to take a trip to England and I want to go visit a castle.
The only thing that has irritated me about Hogwarts is how it changes in every film. Thats why I've been waiting until after seeing the final movie before I try anything. I want the final look of the castle.

I'm a total nerd because I have so many ideas for how I want it. I want to be able to put lights inside it so it can be lit up. I'm not particularly picky about the scale its on. I do want it larger than the awesome Noble model. I do love that model! All I want to do is make sure each part is proportionate to each other. I love to do the grounds to. Maybe if I can do this I can do other things. I'd love to do the Burrow too someday. My only problem is I have no idea what to make it out of. :)
I love your models. They all look very cool!

I hope all of this makes sense! I had so much to say I didn't know where to start and I ended up repeating myself some!

No problem.

If you consider 'N' scale, it will make you castle large than Nobles. That will help you with lighting and figures and all kind of accessories. Cardstock backed by foamcore board could be an option for you.

Regards,

Scott

I don't know if this helps or not, but there is a pretty decent model of hogwarts castle at Google Warehouse.
Here's the great hall that he did.
http://doc-10-8g-3dwarehouse.google...541bcdfb127d99aa0fdd1366821?ts=1202486159000&

I don't know how accurate it is, but maybe it'll help you in your quest.
HOGWARTS part 2: Great Hall and Staircase by Pakistana Jones - Google 3D Warehouse

There's also this one:
http://doc-14-8g-3dwarehouse.google...3c19213c948d75d34fd00153a49?ts=1298297668000&

Hogwarts by vítor.bravin - Google 3D Warehouse

All the models are free for download.

Here's an update shot of the Station as of this morning (5/13)

orqno2.jpg

Have some ballasting to do, some fences to build and misc scenery, but its coming along.

Here's a shot of the original Goathland Station for comparison

Goathland-Station.jpg

-Cgraham

Scott, thanks a ton for your help! I didn't have a clue what N scale was at first, but I looked it up. I never thought about something like that. That would definitely make it bigger than Noble's and be easier to light.

@epilepticsquirl, thanks! I'm sure that will help. They are so cool looking. I used to have Google Sketchup on my old laptop but I couldn't use it that well. Just do basic things, never anything like that.

@Cgraham, that is amazing. It looks so realistic. The pavement looks wet and everything! I looks just like the real thing. If it wasn't for the white background in the top right corner I would think its a picture of the real thing! If thats not finished, I can't wait to see when it is finished. Its beautiful!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back