Model Hogwarts

Thanks Gryff - here's another with a wee little Hagrid I made out of Prosculpt.

29c7up4.jpg

Here's one showing scale

30sjyjc.jpg

cgraham

wow cgraham, that is amazing. now that you put the quarter there it looks so tiny but awesome. Hagrid is so cool! I can almost hear that figure saying "Firs' years over here" haha!
The amount of detail is great. Especially how the pavement looks wet and everything! :)

Srspicer, as an architecture student, I am in awe of your models. I hope I can do models that well one day! And I'm also endlessly jealous that you got to see the actual drawings for the castle, even if they are only for a model, I can imagine they must be incredible. I don't suppose you can shed any light on dimensions or anything? And I guess WB took the drawings back once you were done with them right?

Also, CGraham, I love your little Hagrid, he's purdy awesome! The station in general is ridiculously well done :)

Can't wait to see more!

i

Scott,
I was also wondering about what EZBSVS said. That would be very cool to know! I just didn't want to ask a lot of annoying questions :) I was also wondering what you made the original out of? It looks really cool.

Gryff- I used sculpy for the ground and foliage and machined and decorated urethane blocks for the buildings and towers.

EZBSVS- The drawings were created as a rendering guide to keep everything as consistent as possible. They were returned.

Scott

Scott, thanks! I could use sculpey for something I guess, I will work out my plans after I see DH Part 2 and get the full version of the castle on my mind and before I start school in the fall!

@cgraham, I was wondering what sort of materials you used to make your model of Hogsmeade Station.

Scott and cgraham, fantastic stuff. The Noble Hogwarts is great, but your painted guide is even better.

cgraham, where do you keep the Hogwarts when it's not being displayed about town?

Scott, thanks! I could use sculpey for something I guess, I will work out my plans after I see DH Part 2 and get the full version of the castle on my mind and before I start school in the fall!

@cgraham, I was wondering what sort of materials you used to make your model of Hogsmeade Station.

and... cgraham, where do you keep the Hogwarts when it's not being displayed about town?

The buildings (and walkway bridge) are a mix of nearly ready to use models, kitbashed kits and modified models from Hornby and Bachmann (UK division). The station platform is 1" home insulation foam board with a masonite surface with styrene edging. The platform ramps are a type of tough modeling plaster. On each side of the station, I have sculpted terrain also from foam board.
After scratch-building Hogwarts in its entirety, I was eager to work with commercial kits and models for inclusion in the Station.

Hogwarts was built as a pair of 4' X 5' modules supported by rickety, bolt on/off 2"x2" legs. The buildings all lift off the mountain and are stored carefully wrapped in bubble wrap in plastic bins in my basement. Mount Hogwarts lifts off the base modules and is also stored in my basement. The Hogwarts modules are only 5" deep and are on their side against the wall in my garage carefully covered in plastic sheeting and movers' quilts. I'm designing a rig to stack the pair of 4' Station modules on top of each other with removable axel/wheels to allow me to move them like a hand cart in and out of shows. The stacking solution will also help with storage as they will effectively be "crated" for moving so the display surfaces will be protected from dust and being bumped during storage.

-Cgraham

Thats really cool how you used already existing pieces to make it. Very cool. You built Hogwarts from scratch!? Wow, that is an amazing job!

Very clever way to store it too. I was thinking something along the lines of that because if I built it in my house, I'd have to do it in the basement and I would have to take it apart to get it out. I have so many ideas! I have no clue where to start :)

WOW that looks so cool. Very interesting to look at in its early stages. I think this is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life!

That's awesome! I love seeing it being built :) reminds me of watching the pictures of them build Hogwarts in Orlando... So cool. I'd love to build my own model of Hogwarts one of these years.

That's awesome! I love seeing it being built :) reminds me of watching the pictures of them build Hogwarts in Orlando... So cool. I'd love to build my own model of Hogwarts one of these years.

I agree! I loved seeing all of those pictures of them doing that. My only disappointment was that it wasn't the entire castle and you couldn't go into the Great Hall or anything :(

58 more days until DH Part 2! As soon as I see it, I'm coming home and starting my plans for the castle!

@cgraham, I was wondering, what is the round thing you used to make the large round tower beside the Great Hall?

Last edited:
That's a piece of 4" PVC pipe from Home Depot (intended as a section of sewer line) with a PVC collar also from Home Depot.

2vacwn7.jpg

dct2z4.jpg

I struggled with finding a way to get a stone-wall look surface on flat and curved surfaces. I wanted it to look the same whether it was smooth PVC or grainy balsa wood. I ended up pouring room temperature vulcanizing mix on a sheet of stone texture styrene to make a big, rubber “stamp” that once cured, I laid flat on a table. I then spread embossing ink (from the scrapbooker’s section of Michael’s Craft Shop) on the rubber “stamp” with a roller and then pressed (or rolled if cylindrical) the model part on the stamp. While the ink was wet, I sprinkled black embossing powder on the surface and zapped it with a heat gun. The result is a very convincing stone wall texture; the process also worked for roof shingles.

2eg6zrs.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Clay,
I don't think I have ever asked you but how long did it take you to build Hogwarts from start to finish?
By the way, I can't wait to see both Hogwarts and Hogsmeade when they are displayed together :)

Linda,
I started on the Great Hall at the end of June last year and putting in an hour here and there several times each week I had the modules ready for the first model Railroad show the first weekend of December. That includes building the wooden module bases and wiring to model railroad club standards.

PVC pipe? clever! I was wondering how you could get something round to make the towers. That thought never came to me.
I completely agree with woozelmom, everytime I see a picture you post all I can say is "WOW"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back