FLAG Semi Drop Down Computer from "Knight Rider"

firebirdta84

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and I wanted to get some people's input into a project I am working on.

I am going to try my hand at replicating the computer that descending from the ceiling of the FLAG semi in "Knight Rider". My biggest challenge will be trying to replicate the green panel on the left side (I don't even know what to call it). Can anyone provide any info as to where I could start my search for the materials needed to build this item?

23-BrothersKeepermpg_000336199.jpg

23-BrothersKeepermpg_000344416.jpg

23-BrothersKeepermpg_000349304.jpg

35-White-LineWarriorsmpg_001127636.jpg

thPDVD_002-4.jpg

thPDVD_038-1.jpg

thPDVD_028-3.jpg

Thanks!
Joe

Never really thought about it but that thing looks like the lovechild of a Han carbonite panel and the delorian time circuits.

Set for 32degrees, 1955! LOL!

Seriously though. Looks like a car instrument panel filled with a few digi counters and a green lightgel on the left with a grid and small white lights behind it?

Thanks for the info. I found a great site for light gels so I may order a few to see which is the right color. Next I need to try and figure out some dimensions for it I'll then probably create the case out of fiberglass.

Joe

Knight Rider (as I'm sure many movie and TV productions) was known for altering existing off the shelf items for use as props in the show. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the same for this piece as well.

The screen on the left is not an oscilloscope but rather 4 blinking LEDs. I'm convinced that the shell of this piece is from a mass produced item, but I think that the inserts were made specifically for the show.

Anyone care to try and find the original item used for this prop???

Joe

Dear Joe! I'm László from Hungary (again). Here would like to say big thank you for providing the books and kr historians blog! Amazing!
I'm working on a same project, too to i can recreate props, and this one is of my top ones :)
Do not know you found or not what it was before it converted, i searching for a while, but no luck yet.
The closer what i can find is this:
cp2000.jpg
More links:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/communications_power/cp2000/graphics/cp2000.jpg
CPI CP2000 CB Base station by Communications Power Incorporated

The white case looks similar shape in the corners, but the whole box it possibly wider, and miss the front bezel. So not the correct part, but the unit age is meets with the show area. Hope you have more info about the actal prop and will reply. Bestregards!

If it was a shell of something else. it sure looks as if it was flipped upside down.look at the top and see were the feet are in the corners...

What you call base its not part of the item what i talked about. The unit has four rubber legs original. I need to get or measure one of the units to i can reproduce it accurately and a few good shot from the additional frame in the front. (I do not sure in the frame shape.) Also has a few parts which need some creativity but now recreation it not looks impossible job for me. Feel free to post pictures where the prop can be seen well in KR or other movies like Automan.

Update! Item as is i got one ~6-8 month ago, not was cheap, but I'm still in the project. Electronics prepared, led flash patter was screened, because both unit appear in the show (as i know existing 2! You can see them together in robocop 2) but both have different flashing on the green area. Now i trying to get gel samples as the treed starter do to get to right color. The grid on it need some work, because i do not have a good close up from it where it can be redrawn :(
I hope it still exist somewhere as a rentable/usable prop same as the wall unit.
Ps. If you know any other prop which was used in the semi please share it here! On those who building semi like garages (like me) will help a lot to get the right parts.
reusedprop2_zps8a01ee7a.jpg (Robo cop 2 both unit)

The photo pictured is from Robocop 3 :)

This unit is also seen in The Running Man.

Where were you able to locate this prop? is it a CB radio?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back