Doctor Who - River's Alpha Meson Blaster - New build with electronics - Page 3

Re: Doctor Who - River's Alpha Meson Blaster

When you do post up pictures of your new build, I really hope you give consideration to doing your own prop collection show off thread. You must have a seriously awesome collection by now.

Holluba

Some progress pics:

First thing I did was to take the top slide off and cut it into bits.

9izdll.jpg

Top of slide reassembled and sanded down

14lsryq.jpg

And on the Scout body

2qncxmc.jpg

Which is then cut back with a junior hacksaw and filled to match the prop

2n18htt.jpg

The two barrel sections, and side details I sculpted from styrene sheet and then made resin casts. The lower one is drilled out for the tac-light. The rear shroud I sculpted from Milliput then vacformed.

Front of the tac-light taken from another Nitefinder, with the ridges at the front and rear sanded back

xefmh.jpg

Quite a lot of sanding, soldering and filling later, beginning to get somewhere :) The top sight-thingy I made a cast of from my previous build.

6sgvo8.jpg

Nice work Birdie, thanks! I see I'm going to have to develop some casting skills if I want to run with this crowd!

Well it looks like soon we will be able to buy the scout as a 2 pack...
Repost from Urban Taggers website.

Nerf Scout IX-3- now in N-Strike colours

One of the most popular single shot blasters has to be the Nerf Scout IX-3. It comes with the Titan + the Hornet in the Unity Power System in the dark red and grey schemes, but it's been a rare thing to be able to get them on their own (at least in Australia I've never seen them sold seperately) Availability is still uncertain at this stage, but given this pic sent to me is it in a box, I'd say it should be available.. States side soon? (When it comes to THIS sorta thing, US always gets it first.)

This looks pretty good though.. what do you think folks.. does the N-Strike yellow do the Scout justice?

Nearly at painting and decorating stage :thumbsup

1z2k96f.jpg

I've been following this thread with interest as this blaster prop is a favourite of mine and I really like what you're doing here. I've got a couple of questions for you.

Firstly, what is the circular, domed object at the rear of the gun (above the grip) where you've installed the green LED? It looks spot on to the original.

Secondly, I'm curious as to why you've sculpted in the recesses on the front where the diagonal black lines will be on the barrel. Aren't these just painted on, on the TV version?

All you need to make next is the holster, the hand held scanner, her flash light and the diary and you'll have the full set of River Song's continuity props.

Holluba

The domed parts are aluminium rawlplug washers. I was only able to find them at one retailer, here:

Aluminium Washers 16mm Pack of 100 | Screwfix.com

The black lines on the barrel appear layered on the original, at least on the hero. The pic from the visual dictionary it looks like they are painted on, but if you look at these caps, you can see they are recessed, certainly at the front and back.

2ikbjvk.jpg

2uh0nqg.jpg

23rn98n.jpg

2guwpac.jpg

24pzyps.jpg

It may be the black lines are just painted onto slightly raised layers of plastic (or whatever) on the original, I chose to sculpt them that way as an 'artistic preference' :)

Last edited:

Birdie, those washers look really good. Thanks for the tip.

And thanks also for the reference pictures. I'm not sure that I'm seeing what you're seeing, but either way, I'm digging your build process. I can't wait to see it finished up. :)

Holluba

Just to attempt to clarify :lol

The front of the top barrel shroud comes to a point over the first black line (red arrow) which suggests to me it is a separate section formed over the barrel. In several shots, it looks (to me) like the rear section is also raised (blue arrow)

ev1k4g.jpg

In this pic, the front section still looks to me like the front piece goes over the black line, the rear piece looks flat as if the line is painted.

1198bjr.jpg

Sooo....I'd like to get a look at the original prop in the flesh :lol

Oh, I see where you're coming from. If I'm truthful, I do believe you're seeing an optical illusion there with the shadow versus the black paint and the highlights.

Somewhere in a recent issue of Doctor Who Magazine, there is an extreme close up of the front of this gun. If you're interested (and it's not too late) I can go and look for this, scan it in for you and post it up if you'd like.

It's at times like this, that we could do with a member of the production team's prop building crew to chime in with some help. Funny, I just can't think who we could turn to for advice and assistance with this. :)

Holluba

I'd certainly like to see the pic, but I'm not going to change it now, spent too much time on this prop already :wacko

Oh, I see where you're coming from. If I'm truthful, I do believe you're seeing an optical illusion there with the shadow versus the black paint and the highlights.

Somewhere in a recent issue of Doctor Who Magazine, there is an extreme close up of the front of this gun. If you're interested (and it's not too late) I can go and look for this, scan it in for you and post it up if you'd like.

It's at times like this, that we could do with a member of the production team's prop building crew to chime in with some help. Funny, I just can't think who we could turn to for advice and assistance with this. :)

Holluba

Yeah, I kind of gathered that you probably wouldn't want to re-do this for a third time, but attached is the photo in question. I tried to scan it in for you, but my scanner seems to read everything as black, so I had to photograph the page on a macro setting with my camera. You can still get a decent read from it though.

While I'm here. Does anyone know how you attach an image like I've done here by uploading it to the forum, but instead of it just being in a little preview thumbnail as you can see here, it also shows full sized in the main reply text? I'm aware of photo sites like Photobucket etc, but I'd rather just upload stuff to the forum server as that way, my images will always remain. Perhaps this is a question for another part of the forum.

Holluba

Ooh, thanks for that, good pic!

I...must...resist...reworking!

I don't think you can get by the thumbnails thing, that's why I use Tinypic for hosting.

So I went ahead and modded the barrel :lol

Just a little weathering to finish off and she's done. Pretty pleased with the way it turned out. The visible switch at back activates the front light and the green leds on the back, kind of fiddly to incorporate, but defiteley worthwhile.

Will post up pics tomorrow.

What a fantastic build!

I love the fact that Nerf guns are becoming sought after by prop makers in a TV show. Who would have guessed.

BTW for what it's worth, River's torch is a FENIX T10 which appears unaltered other than a white paint job and some weathering!

PIC from Series 6

5634398320_948a211f94_o.jpg

pretty outdated now, but you can still find them for about $60

So I went ahead and modded the barrel :lol

Just a little weathering to finish off and she's done. Pretty pleased with the way it turned out. The visible switch at back activates the front light and the green leds on the back, kind of fiddly to incorporate, but defiteley worthwhile.

Will post up pics tomorrow.
Looking forward to that!

Pharos, I think you mean that the Fenix is the TK-10. :)

It is an outdated model though as you said and the replacements look nothing like it, which is a shame. Thankfully I had the foresight to buy one at the time and is why I really want to make the blaster to go with it as a companion piece.

Holluba

Pharos, I think you mean that the Fenix is the TK-10. :)

It is an outdated model though as you said and the replacements look nothing like it, which is a shame. Thankfully I had the foresight to buy one at the time and is why I really want to make the blaster to go with it as a companion piece.

Holluba

Quite right - TK10 it is!

Yes a discontinued model, but still readily available on the old tinterweb thingumy. ;-)

Done and liberally dusted :)

25f3xmw.jpg

143gm8l.jpg

8vp20y.jpg

zuqhe9.jpg

e69f9l.jpg

I think I'm gonna make some mods to my old build then spray it black as a toy Meson gun from Deadlock.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back