MPC R2D2 Build

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Guys.

Here is one of my current builds.

It's an oldie but a goodie. The 1977 MPC R2D2.

Like most of you, I had one of these kits when they came out back in 1977. This kit is an original Issue.

He is not 100% accurate out of the box and this is a build in progress.
One of the first thing I did was to de-chrome the Dome and assorted parts.

I replaced the Cables comming out of his "feet", with Guitar string.

I weatherd him as he will be part of a Dioroma based on how he looked in Star Wars(A New Hope), on the Planet Tatooine...

He will also feature Lights and a custom Base.

Alrighty then....

I drilled out the green "Buttons" and the Red "Mood" Light.

On the green buttons, I have a piece of clear wavy light reflecting plastic behind clear Green Plastic...I don't know if you can see it in the Pics, But it gives it the same effect as the real R2.

On the round red eye/light, I did the same thing except I added a piece of Clear Red..Again, it gives the correct effect as the real R2 when powered down..I also started my Lighting tests today... It looks freakin cool!! More to come!

Attachments

• 100_0938.jpg
    100_0938.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 806
Wow, that looks fantastic. For such an old kit the detail is really great.

If you're going for ANH the spot where the front holoprojector meets the dome (the base ring) is black with the holoprojector silver. Other then that it really looks fantastic.

Wow, great job! I bought this kit & the C-3PO kit off of eBay a few years ago and they're still waiting in the closet to be built. I had the kit when I was a kid too, but I didn't realize how wonky C-3PO's head looked until I received it. I intend to build mine similarly to yours and light & weather them too, just need to get around to 'em. I love the guitar string idea on the feet. I know nothing about guitars, so do you mind telling me what kind you used?

Wow, great job! I bought this kit & the C-3PO kit off of eBay a few years ago and they're still waiting in the closet to be built. I had the kit when I was a kid too, but I didn't realize how wonky C-3PO's head looked until I received it. I intend to build mine similarly to yours and light & weather them too, just need to get around to 'em. I love the guitar string idea on the feet. I know nothing about guitars, so do you mind telling me what kind you used?

Thanks for the kind words!!
I used the low E(BASS) String from a D'Addario round wound jazz light gauge(1.32 mm) Pack I had lying around.The pack # is EJ21.

Thanks again!

You can also use these, which are WAY easier to use, as they are "hollow" and can curve without putting tension on the plastic parts. slide some armature wire or thicker gauged solder wire, and you are good to go.

Search Results

Looks really good. To be honest the older kits seem to be better mad. I got my hands on a new in the box MPC F80 jet and it's amazing compared to now.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back