Fett Pre-Prod. Blaster - Grip & Stock FOUND

Capt MarVell

Sr Member
Well, I spotted this two weeks ago on Ebay, and it arrived yesterday. I'm 99.9999% certain that this is the correct grip and stock for Fett's pre-production blaster, the short one with the sling. One of the pre-production photos of the white Fett even shows the logo still on the grip, I believe. There are two holes on the right side of the grip, near the top, behind the attachment wheel, that were covered up with greeblies. The shape is dead-on.

[attachmentid=9083]
[attachmentid=9084]
[attachmentid=9085]
[attachmentid=9086]

I don't have a model number, unfortunately, but the brand is Kaiser. I don't think they made too many different models of these. There is another grip and stock combo from Kaiser (it has a handguard), so be careful to get the right one.

OK, go forth and drive up the prices (and this one wasn't all that cheap to start with, especially with shipping from the Netherlands). But don't tell sellers "it's a Star Wars thing," alright?

Jim

<div class='quotetop'>(DarkLordSalvo @ Jul 15 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1281370[/snapback]</div>
Any idea what it is a grip for? A gun?
[/b]

It certainly doesn't look like it's for a gun. It looks more camera or survey equipment.

{Edit in}
A little bit of Google searching turned up a German company named Kaiser which makes camera components using the same font. It's a safe bet that this is right company, so it looks like this is for a camera or flash.

Kaiser Fototechnik

It's camera gear, as RedTwoX pointed out. Sorry, thought that was obvious.

Here's some Fett reference pics. I've got a couple more that are better somewhere, but can't seem to find them at the moment. If someone has it, there is a pic of Fett in a half-crouch IIRC (most likely shot in the same session as #2 below) that shows it in fair detail from the left side, especially the existence of the levers. I do believe it's already painted over in those pics though.

[attachmentid=9087]
[attachmentid=9088]

Notice in the white Fett image, you can see what appears to be the Kaiser logo on the stock (not the grip, as I mentioned above). Also, the stock appears to be collapsed to its shortest length. The lone image at top shows it at maximum extentsion. FYI the lever at the back of the grip controls the angle of the stock; it's a ball socket attachment, and the lever on the stock tightens it at the length you set. Also, there is a threaded hole at the back for a shutter-release cable.

So, anybody got any ideas on the rest of the parts?

Jim

Nice find.
I've looked off and on for that thing over the years, but never came across one.
I think the Fett one originally had a red trigger so there might be variations.

The gun barrel and tip always looked like a marker to me.

Thanks, Chris. Yeah, it's likely there were variations. And I say were, because it doesn't appear that this item is listed in their catalog any longer. Maybe it's in a section other than "Accessories," though. Still, the white Fett image doesn't appear to have the red trigger, so I wonder if they painted it? But it's hard to say from the images I've seen; as small as it is, the trigger could very well be red in that one too.

Marker isn't a bad idea, although I can't remember any brands with a long parabolic taper like that to the body. I always thought the barrel sort of looked like a small hand-held telescope that KMart used to sell eons ago (eyepiece at the muzzle), but the size may be off for that.

Wonder if the two greeblies on the right side came from a V8 kit?

Jim

Agreed, it looks like those old camera shoulder stocks for shooting with long lenses. When you pull the "trigger" what does it do?

With regards to the barrel etc, it almost looks like one of those gas oven starters upside down. You know the clicky thing that creates a spark to set the gas off on the oven rings? Not sure what its called...gas lighter?

<div class='quotetop'>(GINO @ Jul 15 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1281450[/snapback]</div>
Could you post a super close up pic of the sliver nub detail on top?
[/b]
It's just a 1/4"-20 screw (standard tripod thread) sticking out of the top. It's turned by the wheel that sticks through the oval in each side of the mount. It's just there to attach the camera.

[attachmentid=9118]

Additional info: the grip has its own tripod screw that attaches to the bottom of the stock section. The grip can be detached from the stock. The grip also has its own tripod socket in the bottom of the grip.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Agreed, it looks like those old camera shoulder stocks for shooting with long lenses. When you pull the "trigger" what does it do?[/b]
That's exactly what it is. If you have a cable release threaded into the hole at the back of the grip, and the other end of the release screwed into the camera, it trips the shutter when you pull the trigger. That way your other hand is free to focus the lens.

With regards to the barrel etc, it almost looks like one of those gas oven starters upside down. You know the clicky thing that creates a spark to set the gas off on the oven rings? Not sure what its called...gas lighter?[/b]
That's a possibility I wouldn't have expected. Interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 15 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1281585[/snapback]</div>
Yeah -- I first saw items like this years ago (though erhaps not this same model) at a camera show years ago...
[/b]
Yeah, similar items show up at camera swaps and on ebay from time to time - Leica, Rowi, Bushhawk (neat stocks, take a look at their website), and lots of unknown stuff. First one of these I can recall seeing. There is one with a somewhat similar stock made by ROWI, but the grip is very different. I thought I had it ID'd in another thread a while back, but after checking against references, I saw it wasn't it.

I'll see if I can get some better pics over the next few days, maybe with some dimensions and some callouts to some of the features. Thanks all.

Jim

If you have a cable release threaded into the hole at the back of the grip, and the other end of the release screwed into the camera, it trips the shutter when you pull the trigger. That way your other hand is free to focus the lens.
[/b]

That's exactly what I thought you were going to say. That pretty much confirms it. Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>(LDR @ Jul 16 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]1281540[/snapback]</div>
With regards to the barrel etc, it almost looks like one of those gas oven starters upside down. You know the clicky thing that creates a spark to set the gas off on the oven rings? Not sure what its called...gas lighter?
[/b]

These are called piezo / piezoelectric / piezoelectronic lighter or ignitors. Hopefully a match for this model turns up it does certainly look like one.

Great find on the stock part :thumbsup

Chris.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back