Mechanical/droid hand help

BrotherWilliam

Hi!

I'm new to the boards so please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot.

I'm seeking help with ideas for a mechanical hand to go with a steampunk outfit I'm finishing. Costume is based on a British soldier from the Space 1889 RPG. I've been looking at various movie ideas and pieces for a while and so far the best fit for the look would be a C-3PO hand and mod it from there.

I've tried contacting TK409 but have not had any response so I'm looking elsewhere.

Can anyone offer suggestions on sellers of 3PO costume hands or a similar item? I'd prefer to mod an existing piece than sculpt one from scratch (my sculpting skills suck).

Ideally I've love to have Kroenen's hand from the Hellboy movie but I don't think a real hand would fit inside it.

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
victorian-artificial-arm-1.jpg

That is so cool looking but I would also suggest that you talk to Matt Silva I was on a panel with him at Dragon*Con and he had a awesome Steampunk robotic arm. You can find him on Facebook pretty easily.

I saw the Victorian arm some while back and while I admit it does look great, I have a real hand I need to hide inside it. My devotion to costuming only goes so far :)

The current model is a black wetsuit glove that's had various plastic pieces attached over it.

Steampunk-hand-Mk1.jpg

As you can see it's pretty basic so I'm wanting to give it more oomph.

Last edited:
Have you thought of maybe making a clamshell gauntlet/bracer combo to hide your hand and arm? I would start with making a cast of your hand, doing a clay sculpt for the overlapping segments, turn that sculpt into a mold for a vacuformer, then vacform styrene for the shapes, painting them to look like ages brass/bronze, with lots of gold/brass/bronze rivets and aged leather.
Maybe have a "port" near the elbow for one of those giant clock winding keys that powers the whole thing.
I'm kinda tempted to sketch something up.

Thanks for that Baron. Yes the sculpting option looks like it's become the way forward. Love the design work on the sketch. A friend of mine had suggested some wires running along the top of the fingers only connected to cog movements on the back of the hand, that would rotate as the fingers flexed.

@Geekstress - I could sketch up a more feminine version if you want.

@Brother - I was kicking around a similar idea, where the fingers/knuckles would be connected to a small piston/rod setup like you see on old steam locomotive engines. I can whip up a sketch of something along those lines if you want.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back