Mal's Browncoat from Firefly

Tristan71

Greetings, all. I finally finished my Browncoat.
Unlike the original, which is constructed from deerhide, I built mine from cowhide (about 3-5oz thickness). I am lucky that there is a fabric store in my town that carries whole and half hides in a variety of colors and finishes. I developed the pattern for this coat by watching the series (over and over again :) ) and studying screencaps, promo photos, and reading through forum threads. This coat is not a replica, it is my interpretation...but I think it looks pretty shiny.
The buckles were also researched, and I built them using brass from a door kickplate and some large latches I had lying around (in my other life, I am a Renaisaaince costumer).

Please, let me know what you think, both good and bad.

[attachmentid=9078]

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...ee/100_0675.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...ee/100_0678.jpg

Absolutely fantastic. :thumbsup The hide looks great. Having seen 2 of the 3 originals in person I can safely say this is a great interpretation of the coat. Short of the J.Logan versions this is the best one I've seen.
Excellent work.

Wow. Thank you for that. Having seen the originals, can you tell me where I am off on my pattern? I don't want to copy the original, I just want to see how close I relly was.

Thank you again.

Wow. That looks awesome T. I know the buckles have been a problem for folks around here. I should've known you could pound them out of a piece of scrap metal. I agree with GD. This is the best one short of the original I've seen. Fanmade or professional.

So you've come to the darkside eh? Making Sci Fi costumes now.. Muahahaha.

Darkside? Not exactly. I prefer to see it as a "grey" side...
Thank you for the comment. I plan on selling the coats (with the buckles) and the buckles (seperately), but I can't do that in here until I hit my 20 posts and 90 days. Until then, I'll keep posting things I make.

Thanks again.

Tristan

I think the coat looks great - well done. I will certainly be interested in getting on a list when you can get around to taking orders.
Good news indeed.
Andy

<div class='quotetop'>(Tristan71 @ Jul 16 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]1281503[/snapback]</div>
Darkside? Not exactly. I prefer to see it as a "grey" side...
Thank you for the comment. I plan on selling the coats (with the buckles) and the buckles (seperately), but I can't do that in here until I hit my 20 posts and 90 days. Until then, I'll keep posting things I make.
Thanks again.
Tristan
[/b]
Great looking coat. I really like it.

Not wanting to turn this into an interest thread, but could you please pm me details about what you plan to charge for these. Just so I can see if I have a chance... Thanks. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back