TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: Small Update

In the youtube d23 video posted above they say clearly the one on the costume does not light up, but does serve as the battery source for the outfit.

No.

The suits battery(s) is the big arsed box below the disc and above their derriere. :lol

When we see light around the blade area... it is just leaking out of where the inner C is lit. I think they just didn't fill in the outer edge on the "un-lit" discs.

No.

The suits battery(s) is the big arsed box below the disc and above their derriere. :lol

When we see light around the blade area... it is just leaking out of where the inner C is lit. I think they just didn't fill in the outer edge on the "un-lit" discs.

Just to make sure I understand... You're saying Justin Springer, co-producer on Legacy, and in the video, is incorrect when he says the disc on the back is used as the battery pack being in the disc?

Just wanted to make sure it was Justin that was incorrect and I hadn't mis-understood what he said.

Do I have it right?

On the promotion photos, where the discs are snapped in on the back, the receptor has the battery packs. I guess that's what the co-producer meant.

No.

There is no light leak to the blade in the Sirens Dress Sam sequence. The slight blade glow only serves to punctuate the power up disc sequence. It may have been added in post production to sweeten the shot. Keep in mind that they add a lot of post effects to the shots that may be different than the actual practical lighting.

Last edited:
On the promotion photos, where the discs are snapped in on the back, the receptor has the battery packs. I guess that's what the co-producer meant.

For the power those suits needed, there was probably battery packs in that box above the back belt and the disc receivers.

Justin Springer said that the blade doesn't light up on the backs when worn, but as I said the shot of the Sirens dressing Sam have the blade glow slightly after the power up. So, there may be some nuances that his comment didn't take into account. Either that or it was a post effect for dramatic effect for that shot.

Last edited:
I have been seriously interested in a Rinzler suit and I am sooooo impressed with this disc build thread as well as the attention to detail you guys are looking at. It really makes me feel like im at the right place for this costume! :)

For the power those suits needed, there was probably battery packs in that box above the back belt and the disc receivers.

Justin Springer said that the blade doesn't light up on the backs when worn, but as I said the shot of the Sirens dressing Sam have the blade glow slightly after the power up. So, there may be some nuances that his comment didn't take into account. Either that or it was a post effect for dramatic effect for that shot.

The blade wasn't the lit, the opposite C ring was lit. So the light glow. ;)

Here is a picture of the suit disc installation for reference.

tron%20suit%20battery.jpg

Wow! FANTASTIC work!! Are you going to put in metal collars in the 4 inner nubs on the inside ring of each side, like the original?

Also noticed that in some of the discs the end notches are filled in with translucent material flush to the surface of the disc (see picture below).

trondisc_details.jpg

Last edited:
The blade wasn't the lit, the opposite C ring was lit. So the light glow. ;)

Yes, the blade does light faintly, but not from the C-Ring.

In the sequence where the Sirens dress sam, the C-Ring doesn't leak light to the blade. The blade glows slightly only after the C-Ring powers up. Here's a GIF of the trailer.

sirens_dress_sam_clip1s.gif

Most back-mounted discs don't have a blade showing, but Sam is given a disc with a blade in this scene. Remember this was just prior to the games.

YouTube - Tron: Legacy Movie Clip "Sirens Dress Sam" Official (HD)

Keep in mind they might break standards from prop to prop and scene to scene just for the effect they want and not to maintain consistency for consistency sake.

Last edited:
ah this glow... I stand corrected. It seems to be a post FX, the disc may be the one Kevin posted above. IIRC, the mounted disc from Armory had not the flushed notch.
It also seems to be that the metal collars houses LEDs, I could be wrong, I haven't seen the official german start of Legacy...

@nexnox: you are a tease, do you know that? I have droooled buckets and buckets of your progress pics and video...

YenChih you are correct. In the "Disney D23 armchair Archivists - Dec. 14, 2010" video they do show more than one version of the disc. They show one that has the 4 nubs lit with LEDs (probably for the holographic display scene using a disk that Nexnox referred to in post#79 here). The other just has the hollow metal collars (maybe these metal collar holes allow them to insert earth magnets for attachment to back mount?).

I only saw the movie once so far, so I'm not sure when the 4 nubs are shown lit, so I'm guessing here.

holo_disc.jpg

Last edited:
From what I can tell, the collars would be on the "hero" side and the magnets are on the other. I am going to try and machine the collars with a built in nut to hold the disk together.

From what I can tell, the collars would be on the "hero" side and the magnets are on the other. I am going to try and machine the collars with a built in nut to hold the disk together.

Nice eye! I didn't catch that.

Disc_Nubs_Front_Back.jpg

So the funnel-shaped collar side (Front) probably would have the white LED's in them to light up when the data is displayed in a holographic projection? Are you adding that to yours as a seperate lighting action? That would be cool!

What do you think about the paint finish? Some areas seem like a flat black and others spots with a slightly less matte finish in black or dark grey matte?

Does anyone know the Quorra disc auction winner? Maybe we can get them to provide some more pics and measurements.

Last edited:
Nice eye! I didn't catch that.

So the funnel-shaped collar side (Front) probably would have the white LED's in them to light up when the data is displayed in a holographic projection? Are you adding that to yours as a seperate lighting action? That would be cool!

What do you think about the paint finish? Some areas seem like a flat black and others spots with a slightly less matte finish in black or dark grey matte?

Does anyone know the Quorra disc auction winner? Maybe we can get them to provide some more pics and measurements.

Looks to me like the most of the body is in a flat black and the inner panels are in a satin black. I think I may try and paint mine with a soft touch rubber paint. Not sure what it is called but we have it at my work. That would act as the flat.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back