When did Nick Fury change?

WarPig

Sr Member
Ok, I'll admit I've not followed comics for years. but ever since S.L. Jackson's cameo in The Hulk I've been wondering "WTF?" :confused

Is there a back story to this, or do I just accept this is the the new reality?

Last edited:
Re: When did Nick Fury change color?

Alternate/parallel universe. I can accept that.

There's a really funny story extant about George Clooney being approached for a FURY movie even though it was common knowledge he'd been shy about "comic book properties" after his Batman experience; he was shown the Garth Ennis/Darick Robertson mini series FURY, and the drunken prostitutes turned him off, go figure. :)

I heard that Superman will be changed and drawn to look like Elijah Wood, hobbit feet and all. He will no longer be "Clark Kent" for his secret identity, he will simply be called "Mr. Frodo."

There's a really funny story extant about George Clooney being approached for a FURY movie even though it was common knowledge he'd been shy about "comic book properties" after his Batman experience; he was shown the Garth Ennis/Darick Robertson mini series FURY, and the drunken prostitutes turned him off, go figure. :)

Naturally. Only sober prostitutes will do! ;)

Didn't he change color about the same time the Kingpin did? Or was that James West?

I know I live in San Francisco, and whatnot, and we all want legal dope and gay guys marrying sheep and whatnot, but you may not find a bigger fan of Nick Fury and SHIELD than me. I did CABLE writer Joe Casey a solid and he asked me how he could repay me and I asked to be a SHIELD agent in his book. He made me #3 in SHIELD after Fury and GW Bridge. I own the flying cars... the Air Cav. The Jack Truman Deathlok body-switched me and took my body to live a happy life. I'm a character in the 616. I didn't ask for a good bottle of Scotch or whatever; I wanted to be in SHIELD.

And I have to say: talking about "color" and the Nick Fury character is sort of bad form. Fury is the Marvel Universe superspy. If he looks like Sean Connery or Samuel L. Jackson or Helen Mirren or Angela Bassett it's no never-mind to us.

This kind of thing sort of puts my teeth on edge. Come on, now.

And I have to say: talking about "color" and the Nick Fury character is sort of bad form. Fury is the Marvel Universe superspy. If he looks like Sean Connery or Samuel L. Jackson or Helen Mirren or Angela Bassett it's no never-mind to us.

This kind of thing sort of puts my teeth on edge. Come on, now.

No offense meant; I simply didn't know how to word the question. There was a lapse of continuity in my personal universe, and I though here would be the place to get an answer.

I got my answer, I'm happy (and BTW, I'm a huge SLJ fan), and if the Mods would care to close this thread before it wanders where it shouldn't go, I'd appreciate it.

'Nuff said!

Samuel L Jackson was the inspiration for the new Nick Fury look. The artists were very happy after Mr. Jackson agreed happily to portray the character in the upcoming movies.

No offense meant...

I'm not offended, really, other than the change happened in comics almost ten years ago now. :) I'm sort of nonplussed why it's an issue, but I realize the movies (even three years old as they are) are still filtering down.

I suppose the only offense I feel is that RPFers aren't keeping up with current pop culture events. :)

When Samuel L Jackson walked into the office and said, "give me the mother ****ing part. I'm warning you!"

Larry - I'm only just returning to pop culture, and it's been a long, strange trip. With a background in advertising design and communications (in the corporate sector), I normally eschew the very things I derive my living from.

As I hate crowds (and inconsiderate people), we rarely go to movies; geez, it's cheaper to buy it on DVD when it's released (which is why I'm behind the curve - so yeah, guilty as charged on that! ).

I was able to keep up with comics when they didn't have multiple spin-off universes, etc. "too many things, not enough time".

I think my "concern" was that the movie studios like to change the canon of our legends. So, being the out-of-touch old fart that I am, when I saw SLJ as Nick Fury, I did one of these: :confused. My curiosity waxed and waned; I finally gave in and asked.

Heck, if I'm only a few years behind, I'm doing good! (Does this mean I should call myself "Darth Fart"?)

Larry - I'm only just returning to pop culture, and it's been a long, strange trip. With a background in advertising design and communications (in the corporate sector), I normally eschew the very things I derive my living from.

No worries; I had my tongue firmly in cheek, what with me being a comic book writer and publisher. I have nothing but sympathy for you, thinking that design and communications and pop culture isn't fun when it's work. Every comic I've read in the past ten years has been for work and research and not fun, and I haven't read any fiction for fun in who knows how long. I'm all about memoirs and biographies, now. :)

I'd heard that when they asked to use SLJ's likeness for him in Ultimate, he said yes under the condition that he gets to play fury if they ever did movies with the character

theres even a scene during civil war with a few heros at a resteraunt talking about movies made about themselves, and Fury says he wants SLJ to play him

Every comic I've read in the past ten years has been for work and research... I'm all about memoirs and biographies, now. :)

I don't understand. Do you mean Comic Books aren't all memoirs and biographies? Are some of them made-up stuff?

That's just wrong.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back