Is there a trick to using Barge glue?

kibosh

Sr Member
Hey guys,

I hope this is the right place for this. I keep seeing mentions of barge glue or barge cement. I've looked at Lowes, ACE Hardware, Meijer, Walmart, and Michael's and come up empty. Where can I find it???

I understand it is a contact cement. Does it come in a tube or a jar with a brush?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Re: Barge glue?

Barge is a contact cement which works well on leather. It's used mainly by shoe and boot people, and by costumers in the entertainment industry. If you can't find it at your local hardware store, you can look for it at leather stores like Tandy mentioned above. Shoe repair shops will also have it.

These days, you can find it in small squeeze bottles. If you want a larger quantity, it comes in a can (no brush).

It's highly toxic, so if you don't have adequate ventilation and a respirator, you can find water-based contact cements for leather, which are less harmful. If you are adhering materials other than leather, you have many other choices for less-toxic contact cements.

Re: Barge glue?

Thanks Eric. I did end up finding it in a little shoe repair shop by one of my lunch spots. Never even noticed it was there until I needed Barge glue!

Thanks for the respirator advice. I have one, and will be sure to use it during my boot build.

So I finally had an opportunity to work on my pirate boots, and I must be doing something wrong with the Barge glue. It just isn't sticking.

I took a pair of leather boots, and sanded them down until all the shine was gone. I even took a wire brush to them to rough 'em up. Then cleaned with a damp cloth. Even blasted them with air to remove any loose bits.

Took a section of veg tanned leather. Applied some Barge glue to the leather, and some to the boot. Let dry for 15-20 minutes. Stuck together, and clamped. I just checked on it 2 hours later, and it's barely holding at all. The two pieces are dry, but only tacky when pressed together.

Am I missing something?

It might need two coats or more.

I never had very good results with Barge. I had great results with SAR-10, used by shoemakers Moneysworth & Best.

Go to Wal Mart and look in the home-decor area - there is a tiny little glue tube, it's yellow and black, and is only a dollar - usually in a 1oz container - best stuff I've ever used...

To use Barge glue on leather you need to rough up both surfaces with a wire wheel in a dremal tool. After roughing up the surface wipe both pieces with acetone. This will remove any oil or surface treatment such as waterproofing or saddlesoap. Apply a medium coating of the glue let set for about fiften minutes, press together and clamp over night. If using leather stitching is a good idea. I make my own SCA equipment and this usually works for me. About six years ago Tandy had one hell of a good leather glue. Because it was considered too toxic they pulled it and replaced it with an inferior replacement, Barge glue. Go figure!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back