Alternatives for Mold Release Agents

Sonite wax is 'ok'... still prefer either the Ease Release 200 or Ease Release 205 (the liquid version of ER 200) or the recipe 2 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol to 1 part plain blue Dawn dish soap...

Hey guys,
I'm on the process of making a mold of a cold cast porcelain figure with silicone rubber, and since it has powdered stone. I wonder if I really need an agent release?
Thanks

Yes cuz using a release agent will prevent other materials from bonding to surfaces andit also reduces imperfections in the moulded surface.

One cautionary tale on Vaseline... it is a petroleum-based product, silicones are petroleum-based products, which means they like to absorb more petroleum into themselves which can equal swelling or poor tear strength over time! Just an FYI

Silicones aren't in any way petroleum based.
The are hydrocarbon side chains to some polysiloxanes, but this would still be like saying aspirin is a petroleum based product because it contains carbon and hydrogen...
Silicones are very resistant to petroleum products.
Consequently, vaseline works quite well for mould releases, but silicone oil based release agents can be problematic....Silicone sticks to silicone

has anybody tried spray paint as a mold release for a two part mold, would it create a good barrier between the silicone layers?

Not tried that, but in theory it should work if the paint is dry before you pour the silicone.

Plus 1 for Vaseline when making a 2 part mold.

Yes I have and it works better than Vaseline and you wont loose as much detail. I have had success with Krylon's crystal clear. If your making a mold of stone or other types of porous materials, you can spray 2 light coats of Krystal clear and brush on a thin layer of Johnston's Paste Wax. This method works great for Tin and Platinum based silicones as well as Urethane molding rubber.

I was loaned a can of spray on release. For 12 bucks, just buy yourself a can and know you will get not only a smooth, but streak free finish. The stuff I have is supposed to stop polyurethanes sticking/bonding/fusing together but it also works well for making silicone molds.

That looks like just the ticket, yells, less than 1/2 price of most mold release I can find. Except its in the UK and shipping would probably wipe out the savings. I wonder if theres a similar product available here. Maybe Doctor Proctor would know.

I use silicone grease for a great release. I make my own toroids from iron powder and epoxy resin. I use a donut maker and coat it with silicone grease inside of the mold, then wipe it off. Nothing will Ever stick to it if you do this. The mold if silicone rubber or similar will release from it anyway, however, when the next batch is poured , then one or two more, the mold releases easily.

I regrease within 4 or 5 uses total and it works great.. you just have to wipe the goo off and go lightly with it.. A little goes a long way and the grease wipes off completely with a damp terrycloth washcloth lather on without seeing one bit on the mold. It is smoother than a donut and they work well too.

Good Luck To Anybody Trying.. I'm guessing the agent used to mold will matter most.. rubber releases well with silicone, however, certain things may not.. depends on the mold too, especially with the shape of the mold. That could always make release tough if it wasn't beveled or rounded..

Just another to add to the list, (if it hasn't been added already), I have used silicone free furniture polish spray (It includes bees wax too) on many different types of moulds when I was working in an industrial model shop, works very well. Not sure on availability outside of UK though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back