Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Power Morpher

marioman1234

Hello everyone!

This is my first prop contribution to the RPF. I thought I would do something from a favorite series of mine when I was a wee lad, and as well, I don't ever really see much Power Ranger stuff on here... its understandable though:)

For many years now I've been obsessed with recreating the power morpher from scratch, and not once have I ever been successful. My last attempt was getting closer, but I still have not figured out a way to make it work.

Here are a couple of pictures from that attempt.

I have since given up on this idea, and now have a new idea for it. I want it to be a static prop, I'm still debating whether I want it to be closed or opened for display, but here are the pieces so far.

The pieces are all cast from an original toy morpher by myself, and as you can see (for all you ranger savvy members out there) I have a dragon ranger/ green ranger coin (also sculpted by myself) that I probably wont be using for the final display.

Questions? comments? suggestions? the rest of the thread is all yours to speak your minds, I would love to get your guys' input on it

I'm not too sure just yet, I'm gonna hafta get some clear resin for that part. I do know of a prop maker that makes different colored, and clear casts of that part... it might be something to look into.

There was this girl over at Rangerboard who made resin morphers and used red translucent resin for the said part. Looked really good !

Last year I purchased a used BOA morpher which I repainted and repro-labeled :

I sold it to finance other things but it was a fun project.

About your own build, i'd go with a closed morpher. In my opinion it suits a display piece better. And with a bit of luck Bandai will release a new morpher in 2011 !

wouldnt one of the toy morphers repainted and with new decals do the job? rather than casting from it, why not just use it?

Last edited:
wouldnt one of the toy morphers repainted and with new decals do the job? rather than casting from it, why not just use it?

They are insanley expensive. Unless things have changed lately, $100+ on EBAY.

I'm still proud of pulling one out of a yardsale toybox for 50 cents a few years ago... :lol

There was this girl over at Rangerboard who made resin morphers and used red translucent resin for the said part. Looked really good !

About your own build, i'd go with a closed morpher. In my opinion it suits a display piece better. And with a bit of luck Bandai will release a new morpher in 2011 !

Yes, that is exactly the person I was talking about! I've seen pictures of the different colored translucent parts she makes, just thought it might be an idea.
And, HA! I doubt we will ever get so lucky with a newly released morpher... one can dream though hey.

to Razorsharp192, yeah, it would. I already have a toy morpher (had two, hoping one day to get another again) that serves its purpose. What I want with this build is some thing along the lines of a bust... like as if it were in some kind of pose or something, hence why I'm debating to make it open or closed. Plus, I already had the pieces laying around from my previous attempts at scratch building a functional morpher.

TK-1085, that is pretty dang lucky, and I hate you for it.... I'm jk, but its still pretty dang lucky

They are indeed expensive, especially when you consider that you have to mod them on top of that.

But honestly, with a good repaint (if needed) a set of Reprolabels and a set of metal power coins, you end up with the perfect replica morpher.

And since Bandai has already released a new Megazord which isn't bad at all, everybody just hope they'll do the same with the morpher... And Dragonzord.

Although I have yet to see what would be the "ultimate" power morpher to me :

- Metal plates (painted a nice silver color)
- Painted deco (not stickers)
- Matte clear coat to seal everything
- Metal coins with a dull gold finish

I'd be all over that.

They are indeed expensive, especially when you consider that you have to mod them on top of that.

But honestly, with a good repaint (if needed) a set of Reprolabels and a set of metal power coins, you end up with the perfect replica morpher.

And since Bandai has already released a new Megazord which isn't bad at all, everybody just hope they'll do the same with the morpher... And Dragonzord.

Although I have yet to see what would be the "ultimate" power morpher to me :

- Metal plates (painted a nice silver color)
- Painted deco (not stickers)
- Matte clear coat to seal everything
- Metal coins with a dull gold finish

I'd be all over that.

For me it'd be a nice gold color lol but yes I agree that would be the ultimate. I wonder what metal plates would end up costing....

The only problem is the new morpher would most likely be kid sized, you have no idea how disappointed I was to see the new blade blaster and draggon dagger and have them be TINY.

i dont remember how many morphers have passed through my hands over the years, but im not letting go of the one i have now for good. Too hard to come by. Im still amazed they didnt re-release them with the new toy line..

Looks good so far and I'd have to agree, I'd make it closed. I used to have one of the toy morphers, but I think it was like a McDonald's happy meal toy. And it was from the first movie as the coins were the frog, bear and crane I think.

can you make helmets

Yes and no...

Yes, because I know and understand the process. I actually have a green ranger helmet sitting on the shelf (looking to finish in the summer), however, Its more of a display piece than a wearable ranger helm.

No, because I don't have the time nor the resources readily at hand. I would love to be able to make helmets like other makers out there (and yes, there are a lot of other makers out there) but there just isnt time to commit.

As to this project, I will be doing a closed morpher, everyone seems to like that idea better. I haven't gotten any progress yet, but I will soon, and will post within the coming weeks.:cool

If you hunt down a Grateful Dead fan in the Seattle area, he has a school bus that was the Angel Grove High School bus on the Power Rangers. He worked on the show.

On the ceiling of that bus are one each of the five original ranger coins. Screen-used.

Also a greeting and signature of each actor.

Do a web search for "The Otherprise".

It took probably the better part of a year but one by one I managed to hunt morphers down on ebay and craigslist. The most I paid was probably $75 for a morpher/gun combo in the package. Most of the ones now even with just a morpher and no coin are 100+ but keep your eye open.

I stripped the paint, decals and glue from the morphers then completely repainted them and got a set of metal coins. I have 3 unfinished morphers left, 1 of which doesn't work at all even after getting a replacement axis for the inside.
18931_604702095477_48603900_34700435_4840340_n.jpg

And since we're on the topic, another nice pick-up from the same maker of the metal power coins.
12654_601348381347_48603900_34614011_8361861_n.jpg

Can you send me contact information for the person? I'd be interested in seeing if they are available still.

search ebay seller starlight.studios.
he has revised his comms to be more accurate now, they are still bulky but way better.
or go to rangerboard.com & search user clickclash, same person.
though the comms now run 45-50 with 3.26 shipping i believe.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back