The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronPatriot

This is the Thread for The Iron Patriot Suit. The World's 1st and only REAL IRONMAN SUIT, MADE OF REAL METAL...

Estimated project cost: $100 USD.

Last edited:
Right Bicep Cage:

3283-0003.jpg

WIP - 1/2" X 1/8" Steel Flat Bar
Cost: $10
Weight: 1 lb (estimated)

Last edited:
Upper Torso Cage:

3284-0005.jpg

WIP - I use paper to get it right, then make it out of Steel.

Last edited:
@ Sleeping Lionheart:

- I am going to make the ENTIRE SUIT out of Steel. (not as good as Titanium obviously, but I dont have the funds that Tony has)

I'm concerned about you actually being able to wear this. Steel is an extremely heavy metal and even though it will be thin sheets, I feel you are underestimating the weight of your materials. Even a costume made of aluminum would be cumbersome. Imagine how much metal is in a bicycle frame and the comparable weight of said bike.

Don't let that stop you because I would be very impressed to see a metal ironman suit, just keep that in mind

my good sir if you can accomplish this and have it comfortably wearable ill be impressed and i will be flabbergasted if you can keep it under 100 haha

but i do hope you realize this means subtle war..im overhauling my patriot suit again

comicvine is an excellent source for refrence pics since each artist drewhim a little different

@ Aron42486:

- Steel will be a little heavy, but in the comics, Ironman's suit weighed over 200lbs. I dont expect my suit to weigh more than 150.

And dont forget, it's a SUIT. Not a COSTUME. You Wear a Costume, but a Suit will support itself. So I wont be carrying around 150lbs of Steel. And if I do it right, It'll be a Powered Exosuit. JUST LIKE IRONMAN.

I'll have actuators and motors to help me move it around. Kinda like this:

3286-example-1.jpg

(the suit ITSELF should cost $100 or less. The actuators may add to the cost)

Last edited:
@ Aron42486:

- Steel will be a little heavy, but in the comics, Ironman's suit weighed over 200lbs. I dont expect my suit to weign more than 150.

And dont forget, it's a SUIT. Not a COSTUME. You Wear a Costume, but a Suit will support itself. So I wont be carrying around 150lbs of Steel. And if I do it right, It'll be a Powered Exosuit. JUST LIKE IRONMAN.

I'll have actuators and motors to help me move it around.

Not for anywhere *NEAR* $100USD, you won't.

Not trying to be rude, but you are *WAY* underestimating the costs involved in what you want to do - the raw materials (bare steel plate) alone, unmachined, will likely run you FAR in excess of $100USD. And you want it to be a powered suit? Ummm, no. RC car servos, which are underpowered for nearly ANYTHING on the Iron Man suit, save perhaps faceplate actuation, will run one quarter to one half - or more! - of your projected budget for one set, from what I've seen. And that's just to move the faceplate up and down.

There's a reason there's not already a real-world Iron Man suit, or even just a powered-exoskeleton in widespread production. It's very hard to do (impossible, if you want to duplicate most of what Stark does in the comics), and very pricy to do what CAN be done.

I'll have actuators and motors to help me move it around.

Uhhhhhh...Is that covered under your $100 budget?

And suits don't support themselves, they still hang on the body. (Mostly from the shoulders) Iron Man's suit might weigh over 200 lbs, but you have to remember that fictional pounds are much lighter than actual ones.

Also, you do realize how many MILLIONS of dollars it's taken world governments to get exosuits to their current, still infantile stage, right? They're incredibly complex machines!

I wish you all the best, but I fear that this is another homemade advanced action suit.

EDIT: After reading though some of your other posts, like this one regarding a Rocketeer Jetpack: "So this thing is just a prop? That wouldda been cool if you made the real thing... DANGEROUS... but cool." I think you may need to step back and reexamine reality a bit to see what is REALLY feasible when it comes to prop making. We make things that LOOK functional, but are not intended to operate. No matter how much a movie sinks into special effects, props like this, are not real, and to try to make them operate in the manner that comics and movies make them seem they can would not only be prohibitively expensive for all but the world's biggest super powers, but would also be extremely dangerous.

I'd recommend stepping back and looking at this project from a budgetary and feasibility standpoint before you go any further.

-Nick

Last edited:
i fear this might end up like the justin hammer prototype in Iron Man 2, and all the other foreign ones as well...

i fear this might end up like the justin hammer prototype in Iron Man 2, and all the other foreign ones as well...

A small budget like this, luckily shouldn't allow the purchase of actuators strong enough to twist a human torso in half...luckily.

But that is the EXACT image that came to mind as I wrote my last message.

-Nick

(the suit ITSELF should cost $100 or less. The actuators may add to the cost)

Ok, building a steel frame with hinges to be a suit, i get that. That could be done under $100 if you have a cheap source of metal.

But the actuators, the electronics, the drivers, the force sensors, that's upwards of $10,000 US (closer to $100,000 or more), alone.

And the metal your using isn't what I'd call load bearing. It's not being built up in a structural manner, it looks like you're using stuff barely thicker than strapping. Case and point: you bent it and built into shape with no welding, no heavy bending equipment. It's not pipes or i-beams, it's jus straps (from what I'm seeing)

Like, a steel and aluminum costume would be amazing. But power armor... well... simply put: how are you going to power it? Arc reactors don't exist, and there's basically no equally compact power source in terms of weight to power output ratio other than a gas motor.

I hope you end up with an awesome costume, but you should be planning for that, not armor that the military hasn't managed to create while actually actively pitching millions of dollars at the project.

(Reason I can state this: Bachelor of mechanical engineering here, currently finishing a masters in materials science and engineering. Also the agreement of everyone else on this site.)

Sorry to double post, but IronPatriot: Have you considered how absolutely awesome people would consider you if you built replica-quality Ironman costume armor out of metal using the same techniques used to make knight armor in the old days?

seriously, i'd jump out of my seat applauding if i saw that.

Wasn't there a guy a couple years back that made similar outrageous claims about building a functional batsuit?

This guy smells like that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back