The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm concerned about you actually being able to wear this. Steel is an extremely heavy metal and even though it will be thin sheets, I feel you are underestimating the weight of your materials. Even a costume made of aluminum would be cumbersome. Imagine how much metal is in a bicycle frame and the comparable weight of said bike.

Don't let that stop you because I would be very impressed to see a metal ironman suit, just keep that in mind

screw the weight! try getting into the bars!

***** you guys... what a posting frenzy. None of you think I can do it eh? I have many projects like this that I've completed before, for WAY less than it should've cost.

Guess you'll all just have to stay tuned to see if I can do it.

well i will have to point out a few pros and cons here...

even with actuators and such, that is even MORE weight added to the suit. secondly, with available tech today, you MIGHT beable to get a really good looking MK1 suit going, but even the production team had a prob getting some one 1) into it and 2) mobile enough - most of the actuall scenes where the MK1 was roaming the caves were CG and the ones where he was standing still were due to the immobility of the suit.

pros here would be you MIGHT be able to do it for $150 IF you can

- Break into a scrap yard afterhours without getting caught
- Strip your neighbors car without getting caught
- Drive behind a scrap truck and hope something falls off
- Raid a college Tool and Die scrap bin without getting caught

then all the rest is just servos that will almost definately break down due to the stress, actuators that wont be able to aide movement because there wont be enough power to them. Notice the line on that military power suit? thats coming from the powersource to run it.

not saying it CANT be done, just saying that 150 will probably make it about as fesable as Doughnut rain tomorrow morning

Thats a very ambitious plan....the suit minus the spfx. I'm tempted myself but don't think I'd get much further than just the helmet plus dont have that much patience or time to attempt a full IM suit. What gauge steel do you plan on using?

I'm stunned by the negativity in this thread. Guys, let's just calm down and let the thread run its course. If you're lining up to be the first to say "I told you so", you've already put your stake in the ground. Perhaps a little more support and advice would be more helpful than trying to corner the builder in a Q&A battle that just isn't relevant.

If he builds it, he builds it. If he doesn't, he doesn't. All the cleverly worded poignant questions in the world won't change that equation.

And honestly, there's plenty of people who attempt a build with far more conventionally accepted methods that don't get anywhere NEAR as far as this dude already has. I think his efforts should be applauded. Not questioned.

whats he's done so far is fine, and cool and i hope he continues to do the suit because it'll be awesome when done.....

but if he goes ahead with his 'plans' to make the suit fly and be mechanised he's either going to seriously injure himself or someone else...and we're just trying to get a grasp on what his ability and knowledge is so we can make sure that doesn't happen....

and all we're getting in return are smart comments and answers that don't give much confidence in him (using power window motors to bend bars for example)

Have you created any schematics to illustrate how you plan on encasing these elements into the suit?

For instance, this is the closest thing I can think of to a flying suit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2rjcVcaqQ

You'll notice- that the suit he is wearing is shaped aero-dynamically to create the lift in conjunction with the jets.

Assuming the construction of the suit gets completed, the actuators and hydraulics do work to help you move in the thing, how will you direct motion once you slap rockets onto yourself? Will you create an advancned computer controlled system that uplinks to your nervous system; creating checks and balances to allow both freedom of movement, while also locking your limbs into place so you don't turn into a flying "gumby" the moment you fire it up the first time?

Joking and offenses aside: I'd hate to see any human become "the guy who blew himself up trying to be iron-man".... or "the iron man guy who ____ because ___".

I guess I'm what you call a skeptic... But I don't want to see someone get themselves killed or injured because they weren't proceeding with a guarded caution, scientific expertise, or were too prideful to take an un-developed idea to someone with the capability to make it work (SAFELY).

I'll drop out of here for a while... since I've already clumped myself into the negative pile. But 'at this point'... I'm just concerned.

Well, we dont have to worry about me blowing up anytime soon. Just just for future reference, when I start doing rocket tests, and you never hear anything more from me, you know why. But atleast, I'll go out doing what I love. Who can ask for more than that?

It'll be a blast... literally.

Ok, so to address the "POWERED EXO" part of your questions:

12V Linear Actuators or 12V Power Window Motors.

Depending on where you get them, and certain specs, they're:

1. Low-Power Consuming.
2. Quick Operating.
3. Light-Weight.
4. Compact Design.

And depending on where you get them; CHEAP.

3325-motor-1.jpg

3326-actuator-1.jpg

Remember, an EXO SUIT only "ASSISTS" your natural strength. It doesn't replace it. These motors/actuators would only HELP in lifting objects, bending bars, what-have-you....

Unless anyone has any better ideas???

Ok. Reasonable.

But here the issue becomes torque and speed. That, incidentally, is power. To mimic human motion you need something surprisingly high speed, and to get any strength out of it you need extra torque. Now, if you go bare minimum and simply have the suit supporting it's own weight and not producing extra strength, this becomes much easier because you can use lower torque and thus less power consumption.

If the motors you plan to use are low power, then by definition you run the risk or lacking in one or the other.

Sidenote: The Mark 1 ironman suit would actually be a lot better for this because it requires fewer motors, and can use disporoportionally larger motors.

Another decision: will the suit be force-controlled or position-controlled? Does it operate proportional to the force you apply to the sensors, or proportional to the misalignment you apply to the sensors. These require different motors, and different structural design. That's because positional is easier and gets you more strength, but requires a loser fit and requires that the suit actuate at a set speed, or has been tuned VERY well, because positional can be... unstable.

If poorly tuned it would tend to push you at the end of a movement due to it overshooting, there'd be some momentum-spring-strain cell interactions there, and it could fling your limbs around causing a feedback loop which would be VERY painful. Hence good tuning it MANDATORY.

Force control, which more accurately recreates human motion AND allows for precision motions requires variable speed high torque actuators. Which are way more expensive. Still needs good tuning, but the tuning would be easier, and less likely to cause feedbacks.

These are solvable problems, absolutely. I just don't know if window motors are quite up to the task. That actuator pic you posted could do the job (assuming it's actuation speed is fast), but it's 24v x 3A, so that's a LOT of juice to power, and a lot to control precisely.

Ok guys to point something out here I used to work for the Arizona SCA Ren Faire and I wore a full Knight suit head to toe steel sheet armor, steel chain mail, real sword and real steel helmet and believe me that thing weighed a ton, let alone the armor bites I had at the end of the evening but that was a 2 year job I had. Now if this Iron Man suit can be built I can see it weighing equally the amount my knight weighed. Yes it will be hard to move in, yes you'll feel like you have 50 lb weights on each leg ( believe me that's exactly what it will be like). And after each event if you thought I had bad armor bites in my suit you are really going to have them in that I would suggest around the edges of the armor using the black strips that use for car windows to seal them off from rain to keep the armor from cutting or biting you. And while I can say go for it on this project for under $100 it's highly not possible for that budget, My Knight cost at least $300 just for the steel armor sheets alone now if you work for a metal yard where you have scrap metal you can take home and work with that's a different story.

I look forward to progress pics but that seems to be marred by some of the outlandish claims. I wish you luck but just in my area alone scrap metal is going for .80 cents a pound and if you plan on strapping rockets on to fly then I will continue to look for updates on the Darwin awards page. Again good luck and keep posting updates

Going for an actual 'flying suit' would require a LOT of engine power.
This experiment has two model jet engines, each providing +- 40 kg of thrust. With the aid of a wingsuit it can fly.

The ski-boots with Jet motors attached (Dutch company AMT jets) is probably the closest anyone has gotten to making 'real' IronMan style jet boots I think...

*UPDATE*

Today I got some more Flat Bar. I have about 1' 6" left from the 10' I used for the Right Arm. I'm gonna use the New 15' bar for the Right Leg.

1st Im going to make the boot out of steel plate, and work my way up toward the hip.
In order to do that, I have to transfer it to cardboard, then trace onto steel. That's what I'm doing right now.

Im also considering replacing the Ball Bearings in the Elbow of the Completed Cage, since those arent working out very well. But that'll only cost like $10, mabey, when I get to it, but I'm gonna do the entrie leg 1st.

3342-0016.jpg

And to answer the question before it gets asked, YES. I am going to weld this waterproof saftey-toe boot INSIDE the steel. And obviously (it goes without saying) I will not be melting it, or setting it on fire, or anything. The boot will be just the same as it is in the picture.... WEARABLE.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Just cut the steel for the sides.

3349-0018.jpg

3350-0019.jpg

So, if anyone has any (ACTUAL & SMART) ideas of how I can make a precise bend using normal tools in a standard Garage, i'd like to hear 'em...

*UPDATE*

Just cut the steel for the sides.

3349-0018.jpg

3350-0019.jpg

So, if anyone has any (ACTUAL & SMART) ideas of how I can make a precise bend using normal tools in a standard Garage, i'd like to hear 'em...

put them in a vice and then use a hammer and gently bend it into shape or use an anvil if you have one

@ Stark05:

- I thought about getting an anvil.... Anyway, Ive tried to hammer steel before. It makes a soft-bend (like making a turn in a car; taking the turn WIDE). I need to make a sharp bend. (I dunno if i'm explaining this right....)

Like this: (SHARP BEND)

3363-b1.jpg

Not this: (SOFT BEND)

3364-b2.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have lots of skills when building suits, So I commend you. and wish you the best. People use to give me crap about my Green Lantern rings when I first started on the GLCMB by telling me to just don't make them because what I was putting out was horrible. Of course I did not listen and then I went on to gain more and more knowledge from the good guys who wanted me to succeed. Now I am totally swamped with ring orders and barely have time to type this reply. I hope there are still good guys around that will help assist you in this project and not continue to badger you. For the record here are a couple of pics showing my progress of the rings, from a modified 90's Mosaic ring that I added a light to . To my latest personal Custom take on the Upcoming Green Lantern movie ring. We all have to get there at our own speed. and as long as it's a forward progress. We succeed.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG
What the hell is your guy's Deal? All the personal attacks, saying I'm a stupid kid with Zero skills compared to the rest of you, trying to tear me down to build yourselves up??

Its a good thing you guys weren't around when the wright brothers had an idea to build the Airplane, or when JFK said "Lets go to the Moon".

Have we forgotten that this is a Forum for THE IRONPATRIOT SUIT BUILD??

God... Does anyone have anything to say that pertains to the attempt here, to Build Something that hasn't yet been built? I dare to Dream, you got a problem with that? Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back