The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Bimmer:

- Now that's more like it. YES. They are welded. They're definately not bolted together. I tried to make a gokart when I was 10 doing that... TALK ABOUT A BAD IDEA!

Welding is the only way to go.

As for the Swivels, i wanted to use Thrust Bearings: http://www.amazon.com/I-D-Cylindric...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002HAPIY4

But I didnt want to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive at my door. So I bought some ball bearings. Probably wouldda cost the same either way, but only 1 was quicker.

Last edited:
the cage looks alright......doesn't look like it would hold any kind of load though...

lots of people have raised legitimate concerns and questions with you (CinnamonB specifically) and you've ignored every one of them or just blown them off with an "i know what I'm doing" type of comment

so before you complain about people not trying to help, read what people are actually asking you and answer the questions....

if you don't know the answer, say so, there's clearly people here who can help you know about these things, but you're making it quite hard for people to help you and it'll get to a point where they simply won't want to help at all

Here's some pics to give you all a "GENERAL" idea of how it will look when I make the armor pieces:

3324-0011.jpg

3323-0010.jpg

3322-0009.jpg

My favorite is the Very Last Pic.

Last edited:
@ Bimmer:

- Yes, that's my plan. It's better to use cardboard, because I've tried the PAPER to STEEL transfer way, and the steel always ends up being smaller than it needs to be. Leaving gaps in my work. That's bad if I'm going for "ARMOR"-styled strength.

Using a thicker material, THEN tracing the shape onto steel should correct this problem. (in theory, but I'll soon find out) Unless anyone has any SUGGESTIONS about how I could fix the GAPPING-Problem when transfering Paper to Steel? (other than using steel as thin as paper....Cuz I'm not doing that)

Last edited:
sounds plausible i suppose :) I hope that works better than paper for you.

so... Are you going to start welding the arm "armor" panels together soon or are you going to do all the framework for the suit before the exterior panels?

im liking this progress but is there anyway you can post pictures not attched to one another? it may just be the the way it loooks on my phonebut im digging the way it looks what refrence pics are you using if any?

I'll get the entire cage done 1st. I already have the cardboard/paper armor, just need the cage now. Once it's fully-done, I'll start the steel-plate work.

I'm going to make the Armor panels so that they BOLT-ON, so I can easily swap them for other designs, paintjobs,or to fix something underneath or whatever....

The best jet/rocket packs currently flying can only carry a pilot weighing app. 180 lbs., and for about 30 seconds or so. What sort of propulsion are you planning?

@ SmilingOtter:

- I plan on using the Exact Same propulsion idea as explained in the Ironman comics. You see, I have the ability to see something, then ask myself "How Can I Make That, Using Real-World Technology", you know?

What devices and/or parts can I slap together to create the same result?

I live by this method. Just watch the movies and read some of the comics that pertain to the Thrusters. The answer is actually part of your daily life. Unfortunately I dont wanna go into details, so just keep watching and see when I start building it.

I think my next project is going to be my Right Leg Cage, so it may ba a while before I tap into Rocket propulsion. But rest asured, I WILL GET TO IT....Just Wait.

i like the idea of bolt on pieces. That'd be pretty slick! like the Mark 2 autopsy scene from IM2 where they remove armor plates and stuff. I can't wait to see that. So does that mean you're gonna have screws all over your suit or are you going to hide them a bit?

you have the potential to make a really cool steel based iron man suit with a full metal undersuit....and thats all i'd really like to see....

you won't make it fly...no matter how much you think you will be able to......the problem with "I plan on using the Exact Same propulsion idea as explained in the Ironman comics." is that they are a work of fiction...and this is reality....come back to it for a bit....please

you're progress so far looks cool and should look even cooler with the metal parts in place...

forget about the flying....forget about the actuators...just focus on the suit itself...

Yeah, it totally looks like you have the skill to make a totally sweet steel costume at the absolute minimum.

I am honestly curious. What servos/actuators are you planing to use? It looks like you have enough room at the elbow for the same style of joint as the HAL5 uses, so that could work, but those are specialty items so I'm just curious how your planning to tackle that.

you have the potential to make a really cool steel based iron man suit with a full metal undersuit....and thats all i'd really like to see....

you won't make it fly...no matter how much you think you will be able to......the problem with "I plan on using the Exact Same propulsion idea as explained in the Ironman comics." is that they are a work of fiction...and this is reality....come back to it for a bit....please

you're progress so far looks cool and should look even cooler with the metal parts in place...

forget about the flying....forget about the actuators...just focus on the suit itself...

Amen.. You would have gotten more support if you just came and said. "I'm making a real steel iron man suit". Anything but that is a stretch

But keep up the work on the suit itself

Last edited:
Reguardless of Fiction or Reality, have you guys seen these?:

YouTube - Homemade Jet Engine on a Glider by Panagiotis Sofos

YouTube - Homemade RC turbine movie

YouTube - JG100 hot test

Here's a Dealer:

RC Jet Engines

Yes, Yes, I know it costs $$$-Thousands (it's an idea, I dont nessesarily have to BUY one, I can make on for cheaper...ALOT cheaper), I know it only produces 20-some lbs of thrust... (by itself). Consider several of these, Consider Afterburners, Consider mods to make them faster, Consider carbon-composite materials in my armor, to make it lighter,... The list goes on.

THIS is Reality. Do you still think it cant be done? Have I not done the research? Is there something that you guy's think I'm missing?

If cost is the issue, I already stated Im not as Rich as Tony Stark. Which only means I have to find the best deals, and build it as cheaply as possible. But that doesnt mean that it's IMPOSSIBLE.

Last edited:
strapping several home made jet engines to yourself sounds like a recipe for serious injury....not brilliance...

I never said it was smart, I just said it would get me in the record books.... even if it's only because of the shockwave heard 'round the world...

Ok, so to address the "POWERED EXO" part of your questions:

12V Linear Actuators or 12V Power Window Motors.

Depending on where you get them, and certain specs, they're:

1. Low-Power Consuming.
2. Quick Operating.
3. Light-Weight.
4. Compact Design.

And depending on where you get them; CHEAP.

3325-motor-1.jpg

3326-actuator-1.jpg

Remember, an EXO SUIT only "ASSISTS" your natural strength. It doesn't replace it. These motors/actuators would only HELP in lifting objects, bending bars, what-have-you....

Unless anyone has any better ideas???

you expect a power window motor to help you "bend bars"....

*facepalm*

please just stick to building the suit...live within your means....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back