The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ CinnamonB:

- Why not kick it up a notch and build basically a Mech....

Who said I didnt think about it? Let's consider this project as a stepping stone, toward a "HULKBUSTER".

Besides, I'd be overbudget of $100 to do a Hulkbuster anyway.... That would be around $300-$500.

Will this look like the ironman suit or just the basic shape? Im thinking that the motors and the other things you need to fit inside it to make it easier to move would make different.

@ CinnamonB:

- Why not kick it up a notch and build basically a Mech....

Who said I didnt think about it? Let's consider this project as a stepping stone, toward a "HULKBUSTER".

Besides, I'd be overbudget of $100 to do a Hulkbuster anyway.... That would be around $300-$500.

Well, the issue is scaling. Even the hulk buster isn't big enough to fit what you'll need (at affordable prices), becuase YOU also have to fit in it. That's the shell-actuator problem: trying to build it around you is orders of magnitude more difficult than building it so you're just strapped to it like a Power Loader. Also doing it like that means you can keep an entire robot between you and the probably quite hot power source, instead of sharing the inside of the suit with it

But as I said, it's not impossible, it's just amazingly difficult and prohibitively expensive. Granted, if you were able to somehow get hold of a HAL-5 (made by Cyberdyne. Heh, good sense of humor with this company) you could build it around it. But those suckers represent a few million in development costs by that company.

Not impossible, just... the high torque hi speed servos alone for just knees, elbows and hips would already be thousands. And the shoulder joint... that's out of control.

Good luck man. Honestly. If you pull this off you will actually be famous and probably quite wealthy. Let's see what you can do.

Okay, i've said it before in your last build thread(that apparently you have abandoned or never finished..)and i'll say it again.. You really need to stop deflecting peoples comments and questions and give precise and relevant responses. Its getting extremely annoying when people with legitimate inquiries are ignored and you give a response that has nothing to with anything with a "i can do anything because i'm awesome and you guys don't know what you're talking about" attitude.

If you have metal working experience, which it looks like you do.. Then great! Make a metal Iron Man suit. That JUST BY ITSELF would be totally bad ass and you would gain a lot of respect in this forum. Please don't BS us with this "fully actuated, powered, flying exoskeleton." You are making yourself look like a lunatic, especially with the attitude you're so easily throwing out. Humble yourself a bit, look at what you're trying to do, your budget, your materials, your skill set and work with what you have. By all means i want you to challenge yourself and make an awesome suit, but set your aspirations to a reachable (with hard work and persistence) distance.

Personally, i want to see you finish your other suit before you jump into this one. All you did with the other one was mash up files and convert some pieces to cardboard. Stick to one project please.

I really don't want to come off a jerk, but you're making it hard not to when you don't reply with relevant content. So start doing that, and i promise you will immediately start gaining a little respect here.

Ditto! :) Took the words from my mouth Bimmer.

Okay, i've said it before in your last build thread(that apparently you have abandoned or never finished..)and i'll say it again.. You really need to stop deflecting peoples comments and questions and give precise and relevant responses. Its getting extremely annoying when people with legitimate inquiries are ignored and you give a response that has nothing to with anything with a "i can do anything because i'm awesome and you guys don't know what you're talking about" attitude.

If you have metal working experience, which it looks like you do.. Then great! Make a metal Iron Man suit. That JUST BY ITSELF would be totally bad ass and you would gain a lot of respect in this forum. Please don't BS us with this "fully actuated, powered, flying exoskeleton." You are making yourself look like a lunatic, especially with the attitude you're so easily throwing out. Humble yourself a bit, look at what you're trying to do, your budget, your materials, your skill set and work with what you have. By all means i want you to challenge yourself and make an awesome suit, but set your aspirations to a reachable (with hard work and persistence) distance.

Personally, i want to see you finish your other suit before you jump into this one. All you did with the other one was mash up files and convert some pieces to cardboard. Stick to one project please.

I really don't want to come off a jerk, but you're making it hard not to when you don't reply with relevant content. So start doing that, and i promise you will immediately start gaining a little respect here.

@ Loganallenwolf:

- I plan on it flying. Yes. And you're right. I dont live on Earth. Great Observation. Not being a Closed-minded Human is what allows me to attempt projects like this.

Was that you creating the contrails across the southern California sky on Monday? Man! You had us all in a tailspin thinking it was the Russians!:lol

Awesome concepts so far. Building a Iron Man costume out of metal is an awesome idea and one that I have toyed with for building War Machine. I don't remember see what kind of metal your using but aluminum would be the best as far a weight goes (although you would probably blow your $100 budget).
As far as the assisted power suit idea.. you might wanna look into Cyberdyne's HAL suit: What's "HAL" (Hybrid Assistive Limb®)? - CYBERDYNE Thats the closest your gonna get to power assist. You can rent one to walk around Tokyo for $2,000 a day. Couldn't imagine what the full cost of the suit would be.
I also ran into this article today and though of this thread.
Real-life gadgets for real-life superheroes
Its good to have high goals and to shoot for the stars, but start with the basics first and rest will follow.

Cheers,
Jay

Folks, "final notice".
Watch the development of the project, quit playing the "you have to answer valid questions!"-card but play nice in general or there´s something else starting to fly in people´s directions, and it`s neither a man in a suit nor biological waste that hits a ventilator ;) .

Thanks,
Michael
RPF staff

bull_detector.gif

popcorn-1.gif

What the hell is your guys's Deal? All the personal attacks, saying im a stupid kid with Zero skills compared to the rest of you, trying to tear me down to build yourselves up??

Its a good thing you guys weren't around when the wright brothers had an idea to build the Airplane, or when JFK said "Lets goto the Moon".

Have we forgotten that this is a Forum for THE IRONPATRIOT SUIT BUILD??

God... Does anyone have anything to say that pertains to the attempt here, to Build Something that hasnt yet been built? I dare to Dream, you got a problem with that? Too bad.

Here's the Finished Right Arm Cage:

3319-0006.jpg

3320-0007.jpg

3321-0008.jpg

It has a much better Range of Motion than the Suits in the Movies. (according to the DVD commentary, anyway...)
It's Solid Steel, Fits like a Glove, very Flexible, and it's Lightweight.

Build Time: 2 Days
Material: 1/2" X 1/8" Steel Flat Bar - $3.95 for (2) 5'0" lengths
Weight: 2 lbs 0 oz
Joint: Steel Ball Bearings - $5.98 for 2 sets @ Farm Supply Store
Total Cost: Just under $10 - (I had $10 and bought the materials, and still have some flat bar left over)

(I have my reasons for the 1/2 Forearm, so dont ask)

Last edited:
... Does anyone have anything to say that pertains to the attempt here, to Build Something that hasnt yet been built? ...

There have been quite a few posts that pertained to your build and I'm just as curious as the others that've asked valid questions about what we've seen and been told by you so far.

If you were to read the previous comments thoroughly, you would have found plenty of legitimate questions, like i stated before.

I like your arm cage so far, how are you connecting your flat steel bars together? Are they welded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back