The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like a 13 yr. old trying who's trying to make a point: picking fights in a forum filled with professionals.
Ever hear the term, "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight?". You're bringing a spootle to a Nuclear arms race.

"I've done it before for less".

This is hogwash. You're trying to build a reputation based on claims and ideas, all of which... WE KNOW BETTER.

I 100% do not believe you've made anything before.
Perhaps you've tinkered in electronics in your dad's garage or something,... but by the fact that you don't even know how much your material cost will be, it really just sounds like your spouting bull.

I'm going to sit back and watch the drama because I already know how it will go...
You will have a great idea, with NO clue as to what you're getting into, or the level of comprehension that the people here actually have.
Then we'll call you out on it.
Then you'll refer back to your claims about "how you've made 'things' like this before".
Then we'll ask to see them
Then you'll act defensive and try to turn our objectivity back on us because you'll feel "attacked" for your own ignorance...
Then the cycle continues until finally, you get tired, angry, and eventually leave the forum.
Acting like you already are; this is going to be a losing battle for you my friend.

I'm not saying you *will* proceed that way. I'm just estimating that will happen because time and time before guys like you have come on here with the same "tone" and done EXACTLY as I've outline above here.
I hope you can prove ME WRONG of that.

My advice. Put on your white belt and learn some respect. Look at the other Iron man builds going on around here...
If you actually do some research, you'll find that the MOST economical way to make Iron Man armor is pepakura, and even then... once you build the armor out of paper, fiberglass, bondo, sand, and finish the armor... you've STILL gone over $100 dollars.
TMP Has an excellent example of Iron Man armor, but he's been perfecting his clay sculpts, casting, and fiberglass techniques ever since Iron Man 1 came out. Just the clay to sculpt armor like his certainly didn't cost less than $100.

Last edited:
if you honestly think you can do it, then good for you, go for it

I have many projects like this that I've completed before, for WAY less than it should've cost.

i'm just curious as to what these 'projects' were, any pics or details?

EDIT: editing to say i completely agree with everything Tsuyosa just said....this is something everyones seen before

1st, i'll just say that that's what i'm talking about. You guys thinking im just a kid who knows nothing. Sure, I can see how you'd think that, but then again, you've never actually met me.

2ndly, here's some of my work: A 100% Street-Legal Racing Conversion Toyota NasTruck Custom Replica. I did EVERYTHING myself. Metal, Paint, Bondo, etc.....

I'm a metal worker who believes there's no boundaries except your imagination. I wanted a Street-Legal race truck that I could show-off, and so I made one. I DID EVERYTHING MYSELF. Any Questions??

3290-proof-1.jpg

Build time: 1.5 years
Cost: Under $1,000.00 (and that included welder and all other tools & parts)

Last edited:
Alright, so you've got some work to show...

I don't care if you listen to me or not, (chances are you wont)
But your attitude sucks.

You already come off as "knowing more than thou".
You are coming off as UN-RECEPTIVE to the criticism of people who have been in this particular area of craftsmanship for decades.

I've modded cars too my friend, and I can tell you that although metalworking and knowledge of fiber-glass/bondo is certainly applicable to the COSTUMING hobby, you've got to (at least) empathize why some of us would be skeptical.

I wish you luck on your project, but seriously get a grip on reality. You're a little fish in a big world... If you want us to act impressed, look at your OWN work objectively and push yourself to be impressive.
Knowing what the members of the RPF have already done, will help you understand what the expectation level is around here... maybe you won't be so surprised or (butt-hurt) when we react so cynically. :\

Yes, I realize my posts sounds hostile, and it's because they are. I'm tired of people coming in here thinking the know everything already :mad:

Hey folks,

please keep in mind that we have in the past seen quite a few "unconventional projects" that were successfully finished against all odds or came out of the woodworks with everyone being totally baffled that "stuff like that" is even possible or the people who attempted them were mad men. Lifesize Falcon anyone?

A prime example is the STEEL STORMTROOPER currently being built, and looks extremely good and promising.

There is not much to see here for the moment, so all comments, positive or negative, are of speculative nature. If he pulls it of, great, if not and he finds out that it´s too heavy, well, then a few people were right.

ATM we have no "advacnded action suit" situation here ;)

Since he already showed a bit of the current project and has proven that he successfully finishes projects like the truck, cut him some slack and let him make his own mistakes if need be. Noone can be forced to listen to well meant advice.

To everyone else who wants to post here, including the OP:
Please keep the forum rules in regards of respect for each other in mind.

Criticism can be met in various forms, starting a fight here won´t help anyone, but thorough documentation with loads of pictures and less words definitely will.

I personally am highly interested to see this project continue, and if it´s only an arm made out of metal, or a gauntlet or a hand, or a helmet, then that´s a win for everyone, because I haven´t seen an Iron Man helmet made out of iron yet.

Thanks for your attention,
Michael
RPF staff

that truck looks nothing like the concept....i mean the wheel sizes are completely wrong....

i'm of course joking....

if you find some sort of correlation between modding a car (and not really improving the look of it imo) and building a functional iron man suit then go right ahead...

i'm not trying to discourage you from doing it....i just don't think it's something that one mere mortal can do....

goodluck on this build. yea you need luck. :) and regards with robo's last post,i think there's nothing wrong with what he said. funny thing is, the fact that you are building it using metal is not the one ppl here are laughing about, i think its the part you said you were gonna make it fly. i mean if you can make it, how come the US Military didn't hire you as a commanding research officer :D i saw your last thread though, i like the custom way you added to it, but it got boring when you just showed off cardboard works. anyway, i still wish you goodluck. :)

Last edited:
Good luck with it!

Yea guys we are already doing better than action suit because IP actually has parts to show off.

Is it feasible? NO idea I'm keeping an open mind since we've actually seen progress instead of just hype.

Upper Torso Cage:

3284-0005.jpg

WIP - I use paper to get it right, then make it out of Steel.

Taking this serious then: how are you planning on getting in and out of this torso piece? It appears as if your paper is skin-tight around you. You've going to need some room to squeeze into it if it's rigid, or you're going to have to incorporate some hinges. I'd hate to see you make this piece out of steel and then not be able to put it on.

Cause one mistake like that and you just might be over budget :)

I'm still taking this seriously. I honestly want to know where he will be getting his actuators, what kinds of load and/or strain cells he'll be using, and while I'm at it is he planning to use forward or reverse kinematics (will you be tracking each joint, or just the hand position and back calculating) for the limbs. I also have honest concerns and questions about power supply and processing.

I have serious doubts about the ability to build a functioning exoskeleton without tremendous costs. They are not impossible to build, by any means, they are mearly very very expensive, and not particularly compact.

IronPatriot: if you are truly serious about this project, may I make a suggestion? If your heart is set on it looking like Ironman, then just use your metal working skills to make a metal suit of armor without the attempted actuation systems. Literally make Ironman-Knight armor. Believe me, you'll be a sensation internet-wide overnight.

If your heart is set on an exosuit: Why not kick it up a notch, and build a real working version of the Power Loader from Aliens? That has enough room for the components, you can use larger cheaper components, and there's enough room to put on a gas generator or a massive battery pack that would never fit in an Ironman sized suit. I absolutely believe you could build a working power loader, and I'm actually surprised no one has yet.

The combination though... that presents MASSIVE engineering issues that simply can't be overcome yet. The powersource alone is the largest stumbling block.

well i dunno about youall but i have like 6 working arc reactors in my basement... this totally doable! ok j/k while this looks to be an awesome build i just dont see it playing out( allthought i really would like to see it play out.... linda like big foot i dont see him existing but man that would be cool if he did! lol) good luck man

I said it before and I'll say it again: Good luck!

Now get back in the shed and get back to work so I can see me some progress pictures!

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back