The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Zabana:

Yes, and Yes. I got permission from the modeller, so after I print the files, and make sure i've worked out the bugs, i'll make all of them available to the public.

Does that include the original 3D model, or just the pep files? I'd like to try and 3D print myself an iron Man...

I'd be very interested in your hand pep files as the fingers look to be fully enclosed which I'd like mine to be however I'm a bit worried by your helmet size, the file I pepped had the forehead section of the faceplate on two pages as it was too big for a single page in landscape yet you've got yours on a single page in portrait so it may end up being too small but do Let us know if it fits after you put the pep together :D

@ BRY:

Just the Pep files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@ CyberPaddy66:

I've noticed that alot of people make their helmets WAY TOO BIG. I scaled my helmet, so that there is 1/4" of room from side to side on the inside, so that I'd be able to put in some foam, to help hold it in place. Kinda like a bicycle helmet.

Once again though, i'm packed up, getting ready to move. After I do, i'll get back to building some more, and print those peps and see how they fit.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently unfolding the torso, back, spine, abdomin, and hip ALL-IN-ONE. Right now, it's 316 pages. Looks like it'll be about 100 when I'm done. Hopefully not. I wanna make it as little # of pages as possible.

41717877.jpg

If you guys dont think it's big enough, you tell me:

It's 802mm tall (80.2cm) - (almost 3-feet)
Top of Shoulders to bottom of Crotch.

Tall enough?

Last edited:
It seems that all the files are carrying dual faces.

They not only have the outside (the parts you can see), but they have another set of faces on the inside. It's as if each PIECE is 1/8th" thick, instead of 1/64th. (width of paper)

That's why the models are having so many pages, and why I have to sift through so many un-neccessary parts.

For the TORSO, once i get rid of all those un-neccessary faces, i think the full torso should only be 50 pages or so...

@ CyberPaddy66:

I've noticed that alot of people make their helmets WAY TOO BIG. I scaled my helmet, so that there is 1/4" of room from side to side on the inside, so that I'd be able to put in some foam, to help hold it in place. Kinda like a bicycle helmet.

Once again though, i'm packed up, getting ready to move. After I do, i'll get back to building some more, and print those peps and see how they fit.

I hope it works out well for you, the ones I've put together allow for a good 1/2" of padding from ear to ear and the faceplate is about 2" from my nose which will allow enough room for the electrics and save me from burning my own face off when the lights get hot :lol

I'm currently unfolding the torso, back, spine, abdomin, and hip ALL-IN-ONE. Right now, it's 316 pages. Looks like it'll be about 100 when I'm done. Hopefully not. I wanna make it as little # of pages as possible.

41717877.jpg

If you guys dont think it's big enough, you tell me:

It's 802mm tall (80.2cm) - (almost 3-feet)
Top of Shoulders to bottom of Crotch.

Tall enough?

Depends on your body preportions but if I was to measure myself from the bottom of my chin (allows for shoulder height) to just below by dangly man bits I get 87cm (34 1/4") and I'm 6'1" tall so your size would be a bit of a squeeze for me but like I said it's your body proportions you need to work from :thumbsup

Update:

MASSIVE UNFOLDING PROBLEM.

All the rib parts have tons of faces, and they're all overlapping... Slowing Progress.

rib1.png

This is the only part of the ENTIRE SUIT i'm having problems with.

But I am down to 208 pages now...

it seems that the model itself might be the issue, from what you said about the thickness the model has it sounds like its a model that wasn't intended to be pepped, as they are almost always single sided....

perhaps you could download blender (which is free) and clean up the model a bit, ie remove all the inside faces and lower the detail in some areas (like the rib part your having issues with)

parts of it look like they've unfolded alright but others, as you've said are a hassle, but with a bit of fixing they should unfold quite well, and i'd wager the whole thing might come down to around 60-70 pages...maybe less...

Why not just use an already unfolded Mark 3 chest file?

... Because i'll get an earful from some of the Commentors on here, for not doing my own files, or not giving credit, or whatever, and so on and so fourth...............

It's a repeating cycle that never ends, and we already have enough of that to last several life times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... Down to 204 pages, and I changed the Texture, since it's taking longer than the rest of the suit combined,... in the hopes it will speed things up.

prog2n.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah. Now we're talking. 74 pages.

I say It'll be less than half of that when i'm done. Anyone wanna make any bets? (friendly of course. No money...)

prog3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/18/2011 UPDATE:

Hip Done. 6 Pages. Everyone else's hips are 7 pages.

prog4g.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/19/2011 UPDATE:

Abdomin Done. 7 Pages. Everyone else's hips are 12 Pages.

prog5.jpg

4/21/2011 Update:

67 Pages. Still WIP. Chest looks to be 10 Pages. Other People's are over 15 Pages.

prog6.jpg

Last edited:
It's all well and good to brag about how yours are unfolded to less pages than other peoples but looking at it the pieces are going to be rather flimsy....

The abs in particular are just going to be a cylinder of cardboard, the reason most people's are more pages is because we have edge pieces on the models which help to create rigidity and also help hold the piece in the shape it's supposed to be in

The cod looks like it should be okay as there seems to be some edge pieces on there, but the rest seem to be lacking them...

Yeah, i thought about leaving the edge pieces in there, but i mean, what's the point? If it's a paper costume, it doesnt really matter, if you go fiberglass or something, you dont need them because the fiber is enough support, and if you go steel... well... same thing.

If you make just a statue, you wouldnt need the stronger pieces anyway, since it's just gonna sit there all day long.

Also keep in mind that I'm using a MODEL that was just meant for showing off, not meant for pepping anyway,.. so it's almost a guarantee it'll be less paper anyway, you know?

Less work, less supports, sure.. i'm proud it uses less paper, not in a bragging sense, but in a MONEY SAVING SENSE. If you like to modify your suit, or make several suits out of the standard 150 sheets, like i do, then you gotta go cheap, and as few pages as possible.

Im doing it for the MONEY aspect, not to show anyone up, but at the same time, i see alot of pep files out there using more paper that i think they need to, you know?

Spartan:

Dunno who's model it is, but I havent finished unfolding it.

HERE IT IS if you wanna finish it yourself.

spartani.jpg

And, the 1st one on here was for HALO 1, THIS one is for Halo 2. (or 3...)

I got some downloads for you LOYAL fans out there. (they're not complete)

I still havent printed them myself, but if you guys would like to, and keep me posted on your progress, and let me know of any tips or problems with them, then you can download them below....

BUT, just know that the modeller has requested that NO ONE use these models for their own purposes. Just use the. pdo to make costumes and what-not....

SO, for that, i've put a password on them, so you'll only be able to change the TEXTURES. THAT is why you'll have to let me know of any problems, so I can fix them.

Mean-Eye Helmet

Left Arm

Right Arm

Left Boot

Right Boot

Left Glove

Right Glove

Helmet 2

Neck

...And a SPECIAL THANKS to Robo for helping me find a modelling program (besides Rhino) that I can easily use. THAT WAS A BIG HELP ! ! !

Now i'm able to complete the work on the legs:

34651973.jpg

:love :love :love ( COMPLETE WITH KNEE ARMOR ! ! ! ) :love :love :love

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back