The Iron Patriot Costume - build progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
bahahaha i totally made that connection earlier while reading through this. The other guy wanted to make the nomex (sp?) Survival Suit from batman begins. haha

I seem to remember it being something even more ridiculous, like the "acceleration suits" from GI Joe or something. Whatever it was it needed nanotechnology and carbon nanotubes to even be feasible.

IronPatriot:

Will it fly also? And will Jarvis be uploaded to the suit?

I think you may want to change the location on your profile to something other than "Earth" - cause I don't really think you're living here with the rest of us.

***** you guys... what a posting frenzy. None of you think I can do it eh? I have many projects like this that I've completed before, for WAY less than it should've cost.

Guess you'll all just have to stay tuned to see if I can do it.

@ Loganallenwolf:

- I plan on it flying. Yes. And you're right. I dont live on Earth. Great Observation. Not being a Closed-minded Human is what allows me to attempt projects like this.

You... you understood what I wrote, right?

The cost of the load cells, actuators, actuator drivers and control system components that run fast enough to make you able to walk without feeling like you're stuck in tar wouldn't just be prohibitive, it would be enormous.

And, to top that off, there's no power supply you could fit inside the suit that could run it for more than 20 seconds (now, if you're willing to entertain the idea of an umbilical supplying power, ok, cool, that's some Neon Evangelion level stuff right there, and i think a lot of people would think that's cool).

What is your background? How much study (institutional or self directed, either is cool) do you have in control systems and negative feedback loops? How are you going to tune the unit? How are you going to solve the issue of the sheer number of actuators required to simulate human dexterity in a shell configuration?

Why are you not just showing us all up by building totally badass metal armor in the knight fashion, but made to look like Iron Man? From your bicep frames I'd say you have the skills to do it, and it would completely rock.

I mean, unless you address those issues, I gotta say:

trollinglines.jpg
|/

it's a word bubble.

***** you guys... what a posting frenzy. None of you think I can do it eh? I have many projects like this that I've completed before, for WAY less than it should've cost.

Guess you'll all just have to stay tuned to see if I can do it.

Cool. Can we see some pics of those completed projects?

Since just the framing of one bicep has cost $10 and you have 3 other limbs to frame up, that would be another $30. Then add the lower halves of your arms and legs for another $40. Which would bring you to $80 total, without even getting into the outer skin, feet, back, chest, waist and helmet let alone mechanical parts to make it move...

To be fair Jed, he did say that the metal armor itself would comprise the $100. He freely stated that the other components involved in power, motion, etc would be additional costs.

But, like, a half million in additional costs. Additional costs that would have to be umbilicaled to a large power supply. Also probably a computer, since the number of control systems required just to walk would require a decent sized computer. Maybe like, 5 iPads interlinked into some sort of networked parallel processing could be shoved into the back armor, but... well...

wow things got pretty harsh pretty quick kinda uncalled for at least wait until hes further along to slam. who knows he might know a make shift way to make it work innovation what i like most about this site we should encourage his goals as far fetched as they may be

@ Loganallenwolf:

- I plan on it flying. Yes.

wow...so..let me get this straight

you're going to try and make something that not even a multi-billion dollar military force has been able to do....

how old are you?

i'm thinking this is some kind of joke, it seems that no matter what forum there's a thread every few months with people that have delusions of grandeur....

wow things got pretty harsh pretty quick kinda uncalled for at least wait until hes further along to slam. who knows he might know a make shift way to make it work innovation what i like most about this site we should encourage his goals as far fetched as they may be

i'm all for encouragement and ambition.....but to claim he can make a fully functional mechanical exosuit that FLIES in a shed with some tin snips and 100 bucks is not a realistic ambition in any way shape or form....if people could do that then everyone would have one...

if he were to make a full metal suit that replicated the understructure and outer look of the iron man suit I would applaud him till my hands broke, but what he's proposing just isn't possible....

Last edited:

I agree. I give some people the benefit of the doubt...and I hope that he can do this. The problem is, is that we have seen our fair share of new members making outrageous claims of what they have and can do and they ALL fall flat....

We shall see.

I'm also gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his post at the top of this page is basically 100% sarcasm.

even if the flying was sarcasm he's sounded deadly serious about the rest of it....which is just as implausible

Keep it coming guys. I love it. I love to hear people tell me it cant be done. AWESOME.... I live for this stuff. Any more??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back