spray paint help

Wes R

Legendary Member
I never have luck with Rustoleum or krylon and they're the only ones with colors i need. Here's the issue. I'm working on those two halo helmets from the halo 3 collector's edition. The first one I was and covered in primer and when I sprayed it with the Krylon paint it beaded up and pooled all over the helmet parts. So with the other helmet i washed the parts, covered them with primer, washed them again and everything went okay until the paint started orange peeling on me. I don't know what else i can do. I've done everything I can think of. Its infuriating me cause this is going to take forever to sand down and the paint's 5.00 a can wasted.

The first helmet was washed and unprimed that's why i thought it beaded and pooled was the lack of primer. It went on good on most of the pieces except this large one it suddenly went all wonky on it and the rest had the same primer. If she'd have a red spartan i could just use the red spray primer lol. I found every color of primer except pink.

a little secret, Krylon isnt that good of paint. Its ok, its cheap, the old formula resisted drips well. Try flexible paints available in rattle cans at auto supply stores. For a deep black I use "trim paint". There are multiple bumper colored rattle cans, thats a flexible paint.

The funny thing is i use alot of the .97 spray paints from walmart and they work better than the 5.00 cans of krylon and rustoleum. I use the red and gray primers for paint they're so good. Ace hardware has colored primers that work better than the real paints but they don't have the pink she wants her spartan to be. I should have went with plasticote as they've always been okay.

The funny thing is i use alot of the .97 spray paints from walmart and they work better than the 5.00 cans of krylon and rustoleum. I use the red and gray primers for paint they're so good. Ace hardware has colored primers that work better than the real paints but they don't have the pink she wants her spartan to be. I should have went with plasticote as they've always been okay.

Acetone will easily remove unwanted paint without damage to a cast.
With the grit you have to use in order to remove a coat by sanding, some detail and possibly minute parts of the cast will definately be altered.

If you don't have access to a spray gun I'd recommend Duplicolor in can form from an auto parts store. It's a high quality Acrylic Laqueur formulated to not to lift as long as no enamel paint is used for the base. Dont waste time n effort with cheapy enamels... Their unpredictale, not to mention taking forever to air dry. Keeping to only only one brand for your primer and the finish is the key.

yeah. i just use the red or gray cheapo primer for most stuff and the yellow works amazingly. Isn't it funny that the primers are better quality (the 1.00 black walmart paint isn't bad either) than the expensive stuff? I think i'm out of acetone but i'll have to raid the makeup drawer in the bathroom to see. If all else fails i have goo be gone or something like that.

Yeah, I've used only Duplicolor for the last few years.

They have a cleaner spray, an adhesion promoter and a self etching primer.

I use all 3 and don't have any issues. To match a paint, use an airbrush and mix your own. I use auto car paints for weathering etc and they dry really fast.

FB

I need to find the airbrush. My buddy sold us his nice one years ago dirt cheap and we never used the thing. I have used the walmart cheapo brands for years on stuff and never had so much as a run or anything which is why i've been sticking to them but they only offer like 5 colors. I think i used to use Duplicolor.

One of my local automotive stores makes custom color spray cans - you pick the color, they mix it up and "bottle" it for you. I've never actually done it, and I'm sure it's not nearly as cheap as an off-the-shelf color, but it might be something to look into in your area.

I'll have to check. Most of the affordable car parts places are owned by a guy we know and its pretty bare bones but since he's into classic cars he may know a source for odd colors.

if you want more colors check out this place
Art Primo: Belton Molotow Premium[Spray Paint]
its a graffiti paint seller that has loads of choices.
i found them a few years back when i was really into graffiti art.
the paint has a dull finish so if you want a shinny finnish you can use any gloss clear coat. I would use the low pressure molotow premium its earyer to avoid runs and drips.
it is hands down the best rattle cans on the market. if you have any questions let me know i have dropped 100$ to 200$ at a time at this place so i know this brand inside and out.

its not like they are telling you to vandalize they just sell paint. the true graffiti culture is about the art and getting your work seen more than breaking the law. trust me I was in the game along time and i know my spray paint lol.

lol. You don't see much graffiti around anymore. Well except that kid in pittsburgh who got busted the day of having a show at an art gallery lol.

Yeah didnt hear about that one. sucks for that kid. rusto and krylon do stink and the walmart off brand or dollar cans they sell there are mostly mistints or cast offs form the rustoleum or krylon companies. Oh about the orange pealing problem you have been having. how long after washing the part did you hold off on painting? Id hold off a few days just to let it dry fully. if there is any moisture on the part it will do that. even if its painted in a damp basement, garage or if it has been raining out sometimes you have that.

Last edited:
It was about a week since i washed it. basement was about 65 which is about normal for when i paint down there. it only happened on 2 parts and on the one not only did it orange peel but it did the pooling and running thing again. I'm going to get them prepped and next time we have the wood stove on and its hot down there i'll try. Maybe this paint is picky.

untitled-21.jpg

spray paint plywood
03eb7d14.jpg

2cee1c2b.jpg

e324dce1.jpg

spray painted a mural for a church

old drawings in my black book aka blue prints
untitled-4.jpg

and if you cant read it
untitled-4-1.jpg

untitled555-1.jpg

untitled-13.jpg

blue2.jpg

sorry i didnt want to derail your thread

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back