Wig Help (Luna Lovegood)

tarma7

So I'm a brunette but I want to dress as Luna Lovegood (who is VERY blonde lol) for the 8th Harry Potter movie midnight showing (in July). I looked into dying my hair, but my hair is far too dark to do that with temporary dye and I don't want to permanently dye it. So, I am left with one option...a wig.

I want this costume to look as realistic as possible, so I want a really good quality wig that doesn't look incredibly fake even from a distance (although I don't want a real hair wig because those are too expensive as far as I know). I'd like to spend up to $75 on it. is that a feasible goal? I could go a little higher if I had to. I really have no idea about these things. XP

Does anyone have a suggestion for where I can look at wigs like that? I've found a couple of sites that seem good, but most of the pictures are so small that I can't tell if if they are what I'm looking for.
Also, are you guys aware of any wigs in particular that would work for Luna? For anyone who doesn't know what her hair looks like, it is a very light blonde and very long. It is usually pictured as wavy.

Luna Lovegood Hair - Google Search She's the one with the funny glasses. Also the one wearing wizarding robes.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

PS: also, *happy dance* because this is my 20th post and now I can finally post in the Junkyard! :cool

personally I always like to go out to store to find a wig.....it's just part of the process being able to touch and possibly try it on because things like the wig cap size etc and thickness of the hair can really make or break a wig. I don't know where you live but in if you're in the los angeles area there are definitely lots of wig shops. If not look online for stores that may be around your area and if you can only get something online then try to find info about the cap size and if there is a scalp piece in it. I would say that if you're willing to pay $75 for a wig that you'll probably get a pretty decent fake wig. Ebay tends to have quite a few wig dealers on there and you can read the reviews of the seller and their product. You might also look at etsy because sometimes there are simple wig makers on there that might make a somewhat custom wig to fit your head for that price or a little more. That's my two cents lol!! Hope it helps!

I go to school near Philly. I'll definitely look into that, though, because I would certainly feel a lot less nervous buying something I saw physically before paying for it lol.
but yeah, if there's nothing out there, then ebay and etsy are great ideas, I didn't even think of that. thanks!! :)

Last edited:
i saw this wig actually and thought it looked like a great luna wig....it doesnt say if it has the scalp part in it but for $30 including shipping......sometimes it's worth it to see. Overall it looks like itd be decent enough for first starting out. If you're really dark haired too you might want to pin curl your hair and then put something like a bald cap over it. You wouldnt need to glue it around the edges or anything.....it would just keep the dark hair from possibly showing through the wig.

~FINAL FANTASY XIII 13 ~ JIHL NABAAT BLONDE COSPLAY WIG - eBay (item 270655266782 end time Nov-08-10 19:29:37 PST)

I live in CT but go to school near Philly. I'll definitely look into that, though, because I would certainly feel a lot less nervous buying something I saw physically before paying for it lol.
but yeah, if there's nothing out there, then ebay and etsy are great ideas, I didn't even think of that. thanks!! :)

There are a few wig shops, as I recall, down in the Fabric Row area of Philly. Around 4th and South Street. I haven't bought from them though. I do Harry Potter costuming and I've bought my wigs online or through the cosplay.com marketplace.

As the others have said usually trying something on in person is the best but, I've had FANTASTIC luck on ebay! As long as the picture of the wig is on a mannequin head and it says in the description "skin top" which means they put a thin latex facade on the scalp to make it look like a real scalp you shouldn't have too many problems.
I usually do a generic search of the color and the length I want so I can see as many possible options. Check out my blog (link below) and look at my Black Cat and Domino, both are wigs I got on ebay and I love them! I have black hair so going to white for Black Cat was scary at first but I loved how it turned out!
Also invest in a wig cap in flesh tone, this is probably the biggest mistake people do when they wear wigs. They're 2 bucks at any costume store or wig store.

Good luck! Luna was always my favorite!

So I'm a brunette but I want to dress as Luna Lovegood (who is VERY blonde lol) for the 8th Harry Potter movie midnight showing (in July). I looked into dying my hair, but my hair is far too dark to do that with temporary dye and I don't want to permanently dye it. So, I am left with one option...a wig.

I want this costume to look as realistic as possible, so I want a really good quality wig that doesn't look incredibly fake even from a distance (although I don't want a real hair wig because those are too expensive as far as I know). I'd like to spend up to $75 on it. is that a feasible goal? I could go a little higher if I had to. I really have no idea about these things. XP

That's a VERY acheivable goal - my stepdaughter wanted to do Luna for Halloween (and Farpoint and DragonCon next year, as well - we're a costuming family, and we take it relatively seriously), and we got her an appropriate wig at a shop on Hollywood Blvd while we were on a family vacation out in L.A. this past summer. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the shop OR the style of the wig, but it came in at under $75, I DO remember that. IIRC, it was about $65. Color was dead on, and off-the-shelf style was close to correct, requiring minimal work to finish it off.

Definitely go to a store and try them on, though. Second the advice for wig caps, as well.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice, I don't know what I would do without this website hahah...definitely be a lot more lost and confused!

Very blonde, long, natural movement slight wave, not dead straight. no fringe/bang.

Ive bought some amazing wigs on ebay - these are ones id recommend from past experience -
Sonya Wig .. Very Modern .. Color 613 on eBay (end time 23-Nov-10 18:20:44 GMT)

if the curls in that wig are too much, you can relax them by pouring very hot, but not boiling water over them..it will take out the curl set into the synth hair and straighten them out slightly without the wig becoming too straight.

other good options -
JUST IN LONG LAYERS Side Pale Blonde WIG TRCO 613 on eBay (end time 28-Nov-10 00:38:08 GMT)
NEW Silky Straight Long Side Skin Top Pale Blonde Wig on eBay (end time 24-Nov-10 07:25:41 GMT)
NEW! Awesome Sexily Soft Wave Wig Platinum Blonde on eBay (end time 24-Nov-10 13:57:14 GMT)

Id avoid most 'cosplay' wigs as i find the hair thats used tangles very easily. These ones above are highest quality fibres used and look like real hair.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back