Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

supposedly the director had to fight to keep classic period songs in this movie.

Stupid production company (come on disney, thought you had more sense than that) wanted to add in more current kid friendly songs like britney spears..

ugh.

I hope the marvel movies don't suffer from hollywood itis, and the onslaught of stupid decisions.

If they forced that better to go with no classic tunes than anything new.
But thankfully things are going to be ok.

Those early reviews sound great!

It kind of boggles my mind that some people flip out over a mix-tape. Come to my house, I've got a couple hundred old home made mix-tapes of songs of that era.

It kind of boggles my mind that some people flip out over a mix-tape. Come to my house, I've got a couple hundred old home made mix-tapes of songs of that era.

I think the flipping out has more to do with classic songs, played by proper old-school musicians, being given A-list coverage in a modern summer blockbuster, instead of using music from modern so-called "stars" (that wouldn't know how to carry a tune if they didn't have an auto-tuner implanted in their heads) as a promotional vehicle and not to enhance the movie.

It's kind of like this. would you make a big deal about cab calloway singing mini the moocher in your movie, or would you accept havin g the studio want justin beiber to cover the same song instead?

I'd fight for cab any day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the flipping out has more to do with classic songs, played by proper old-school musicians, being given A-list coverage in a modern summer blockbuster, instead of using music from modern so-called "stars" (that wouldn't know how to carry a tune if they didn't have an auto-tuner implanted in their heads) as a promotional vehicle and not to enhance the movie.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I certainly wasn't trying to belittle the music or the fact that it is in the movie. It is kind of a shame though, that it takes a movie like this to actually get some people into the music. It's good that it does, but still kind of a shame, especially with what passes for music these days. Go to pretty much any of these songs on Youtube and most of the comments will be like "Hey, whose here just because of Guardians of the Galaxy?"

Don't think it's a shame at all. It introduces people to music they might not have run across otherwise. Just like how I wish I could go back to before Sir Alec Guinness died so I could tell him he had no cause to be bitter about being recognized by a whole new generation as Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's a gateway. I liked him in the Star Wars movies, so I paid attention for him elsewhere. If not for his recognition factor, I might not have hung on my local PBS station to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on Masterpiece Theater, or had any interest in seeing Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai as young as I did. If it puts this music on the radar of a new audience, awesome.

--Jonah

Don't think it's a shame at all. It introduces people to music they might not have run across otherwise. Just like how I wish I could go back to before Sir Alec Guinness died so I could tell him he had no cause to be bitter about being recognized by a whole new generation as Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's a gateway. I liked him in the Star Wars movies, so I paid attention for him elsewhere. If not for his recognition factor, I might not have hung on my local PBS station to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on Masterpiece Theater, or had any interest in seeing Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai as young as I did. If it puts this music on the radar of a new audience, awesome.

--Jonah
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was magnificent as a miniseries as was Smiley's People. But, yeah, I might not have been drawn to them if it hadn't been for Alec Guinness. I have both on DVD - best cold war thrillers I've ever seen period.

If you haven't already done so I strongly recommend his Ealing Studio comedies of the 1940's and 50's. Kind Hearts and Coronets got Alec Guinness on the map - it's the quintessential British comedy. The Man in the White Suit is an equal favorite. Also excellent are The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers. If you want to see more of his range you must watch these.

I haven't looked at the song choices for GotG 2. I'd rather be surprised.

What I liked about Gunn's music for GotG was that he mostly used lesser known 60's and 70's music.

When another film tries to evoke the era they typically choose the most iconic tunes from that time. The problem is that very famous songs tend to have a life well beyond their generation and, I argue, lose the power to evoke the era.

James Gunn brilliantly brings in music that was loved and mostly forgotten. I probably haven't heard "Come and Get Your Love" since 1974 and I was instantly transported emotionally and felt bonded to Quill from that moment on.

Last edited:
90% on Rotten Tomatoes. FIVE end credit scenes. I had no idea that Sly Stallone was in this. Can't wait to see this next Thursday with my son.

rotten tomatoes lost all credibility about a year ago ;o)

Touché. The good thing, is that the majority of reviews having those who have seen it, saying it is better than the original, for the most part. From what I have read, they missed an opportunity with a guest star, that should have been a no brainer, and there are some things that happen to one of my favorite characters and a new character that annoy me, but I am still excited.

rotten tomatoes lost all credibility about a year ago ;o)
Well, to be fair, I'd say it's the film critics that lost their credibility.

Fight Club is at 79% and when I read the negative reviews it seems like those critics didn't even get what the film was about.

I think it was Roger Ebert who said that a lot of professional film critics get so burnt out from watching so many films they sometimes actually write their reviews from watching a trailer or don't bother to finish watching a franchise film before releasing a review.

Watched the film in IMAX 3D this morning and it is INCREDIBLE!
Very funny, great story, amazing visuals, kick-ass soundtrack and score and very emotional.

Definitely going to watch it twice again!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back