Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

"In 3 ABY, a crack unit of Imperial commandos was sentenced to 10 years in the spice mines of Kessel for a crime they didn't commit. These soldiers promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Nar Shadaa underground. Today, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, maybe you can call...the I-Team."
Basically, yes. But it takes three seasons to get to the point of rebelling against the imperials. Those guy are more like believers of a cause. Then the cause leaves them behind.

In my mind, a lot of this is inspired by das Boot, Firefly, and the walking dead.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I like the basic concept. Particularly, showing the war from the Imperial side, but making it not quite so cut and dried.

I think it's less likely that we'll see this any time soon, but who knows where the franchise will go in time.

Stormtrooper walking outside the shield gate.

space%20trooper_zpskrv90xyr.jpg

Rogue.One.2016.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.mp4_snapshot_01.24.28_2017.04.13_14.17.26_zpsp63ilcrz.jpg

I like the basic concept. Particularly, showing the war from the Imperial side, but making it not quite so cut and dried.

I think it's less likely that we'll see this any time soon, but who knows where the franchise will go in time.
One of the things that interests me in this is that the "team" is composed of officers as well as troopers. How does that work when it doesn't matter anymore?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Its pretty crazy to realize in ANH, R2 is driving around INSIDE the Death Star with that very same data card inside him that was rushed off in front of Vader. Wheeling around, mere feet from Vader himself at some points.

How many times do we see the Ghost from Rebels in this movie. I counted 3. Twice at scariff space battle and once parked outside the temple base at Yavin.
Any other times?
Now that we have the extra explaining they call out General Syndulla's name that pretty much makes it canon that is her ship correct?

What is the deal with the death troopers voices? Is it said somewhere in any books what or who they are. Are they a special alien group? Humans that speak a different language?

What happens to Raddus? Did anyone make it off Scariff? Blue Squadron?

Just curious if this mentioned anywhere or in any books connected to the movie?

Also chances 2 tubes makes it of Jeddha? He was cool.

Its pretty crazy to realize in ANH, R2 is driving around INSIDE the Death Star with that very same data card inside him that was rushed off in front of Vader. Wheeling around, mere feet from Vader himself at some points.

Surely the sandtroopers reported the "look sir droids" incident. And R2 actually hooked into the deathstar mainframe!
Vader sort of not so effective really. He kind of messes up a lot and misses opportunities. LOL

How many times do we see the Ghost from Rebels in this movie. I counted 3. Twice at scariff space battle and once parked outside the temple base at Yavin.
Any other times?
Now that we have the extra explaining they call out General Syndulla's name that pretty much makes it canon that is her ship correct?
The prequels really put a twist on the OT.
Vader had to have recognized 3PO on Bespin for example.

R2 was basically Anakin and Padme's pet droid, that's poetic justice R2 was the McGuffin for the DS plans and riding in Luke's X-Wing blowing up the DS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any screencaps of the A280 Rifle used by the Rebels which has been "cutdown/sawed off" into the smaller compact version? The visual guide only offered one small picture of it being held. :/

I was just looking at screenshots the other day and saw that exact gun. I really like it. It reminds me of a M4 carbine, just a short CQB weapon. Hopefully someone can start a thread in the SW props section on all the variants now that the movie is out.

R1 introduced serious moral ambiguity to the majority bi-polar Star Wars universe with the bad overly fanatic rebels.

I watched this again last Sat. with my 13 yo. nephew and he wanted some clarification on why Cassian shot that guy he was meeting with. I explained he was liability and had to be killed to protect everyone else. I like that it shows, as Cassian says later on, that even the Rebels had to do some bad things to protect the galaxy.

They did that with the old TIE Fighter game and it worked. I'm not sure how it would work in a full movie where the bad guys are seen in a good light. I would love to see it though!

What is the deal with the death troopers voices? Is it said somewhere in any books what or who they are. Are they a special alien group? Humans that speak a different language?

I don't know if that was the Death Trooper voices, or if we are just hearing the muffled communications coming from their helmets. I think the wookieepedia page said they had cybernetic enhancements, so maybe it has something to do with that?

I really wanted to see Raddus activate a self destruct once Tantive IV launched. They couldn't do it because Vader was on there though. I would assume he would commit suicide depending on how much he knows.

Not even cool people survive the Death Star! :lol ;) There was at least one X-Wing parked there though.

How interested would be people be if they followed the same formula as Rogue One and made prequels for TESB and RotJ? E.g. 'Imperial troops have driven rebel forces from their secret base and pursued them across the galaxy' and then a re-telling of 'Many Bothans died to bring us this information' line. Both stories have been told in the EU (comics, video games and novels) but that didn't stop them from coming up with a new story for R1. How would y'all react if they announced stand-alones based on those short snippets?
If they made "mezzanine" shows it would suddenly seem that Disney was being formulaic. R1 told a good story and enhanced the universe but also fixed some loose ends. Additional episodes might, at best, open up more of the universe but this could be accomplished with other stand alone movies without looking so much like a simple cash-grab.

I would watch a movie all about regular troopers (either side) just fighting a war. Everyone called Rogue One a "war" film, but I would literally like to see Saving Private Ryan in the Star Wars universe.

Ive always thought that the death troopers were special forces and that their communication was scrambled so only they could understand each other.

Raddus's ship was disabled so I guess he was just destroyed along with his ship.

I don't think anyone made it off scarif. Only ones who escaped were the rebels that jumped before Vaders ship arrived.

Ben

Rewatching "Rogue One" at home is a much better experience. For one that strange "where is the other film I saw in the trailers " sensation has totally gone. Secondly its frequently stunning visuals are so much better, with the CGI'd figures ,particularly Leia, looking overall much improved and very realistic, though Tarkin occasional suffered by being over worked and too detailed ,though it varied from shot to shot.
What was even more rewarding was to watch "A New Hope" immediately afterwards. The exciting ,adventerous and "hopeful" tone of that movie was heightened for me and set against what happens in "Rogue One" it had an even fresher and more optimistic feel that really surprised me. It also brought out the strengths and weaknesses of both movies,making a couple of the rather blunt cameos levered in to R1 feel worse ,the most obvious being the canteena pair. Compared to the subtle glimpses of the Ghost they should have learned that less is sometimes much more. Don't do it again ,we won't love you for it. And they should have kept the crawl, it would have worked to fill in the detail much better than some of the earlier scenes. Afterall , seen together its basically two halves of the same movie anyway.
But these are really minor gripes. Kudos to the production teams for getting the old look of the OT so well regenerated in terms of design and cinematography. Not much of it felt out of place or odd and that more than anything else made it seem like a proper SW movie to me, though again I would implore them to declutter some set and effects shots, there is simply just too much up there on the screen. Not half as bad as the prequels or TFA and alot closer to the OT.
It IS a minor miracle this movie turned out as well as it did. Considering how much was reshot and modified so far along in the filming timetable and ultimately changed completely its virtually impossible to see the joints. And theres no doubt that the addition of that Vader scene at the very end is an iconic moment in SW history.
I have to say it because of that and the overall care they took with this film its knocked ROTJ out of third for me. Now its TESB ,ANH and RO. Bravo..
MY deepest wish now is now that the pressures on Disney and Lucas to bang something swiftly out in the early years have largely disappeared, the stories can now be developed and finalized well BEFORE shooting the scripts, so only the lightest of finishing touches need to happen afterwards. And please, if you can get somebody to design better space ships do it, although the U wing and Walkers worked well , Krennics shuttle still looked dafted.
Personally I think they have plenty of great opportunites left out there if they really think about it. Not only with one or two of the older characters (and what I wouldn't give to see Tom Hardy cast in the role of Boba Fett in a couple of movies) but also the newer ones as well.
At the very least I can say that Disney and Lucas film have succesfully brought one new thing back into the franchise for me about the future of SW..........
They brought hope.

Ive always thought that the death troopers were special forces and that their communication was scrambled so only they could understand each other.
But there would be no reason for scrambled communications to be broadcast audibly outside their helmets like regular stormtrooper speech; it would just be over the radio to each other over their headsets/inside their helmets (however it canonically works).

But there would be no reason for scrambled communications to be broadcast audibly outside their helmets like regular stormtrooper speech; it would just be over the radio to each other over their headsets/inside their helmets (however it canonically works).

Yes but how do you convey that to the audience?Just have them silent? It's easier to just do it the way they did.

Ben

I agree that the CGI Tarkin and Leia did look better on my 55" than it did in the theater, but I could still tell. I kind of wish I could go back and watch it for the 'first time' on the tv, just to see if I would notice it as much.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back