Avengers: Infinity War (Pre-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War

It's fascinating to hear the commentary track on Civil War where Markus, McFeely and the Russos discuss the writing process and how they navigated the inherent pitfalls with a project this complex and how they were able to subvert audience expectations. So I've been contemplating the problems with dealing with Infinity War which, in the comics, seems a fairly typical villain/macguffin vehicle but on a grand scale. In the MCU Thanos shouldn't just be some giant cosmic megalomaniac, which is kind of what we expect.

I think they need tune up Thanos' motivations and make them interesting if not completely novel or unexpected. His infatuation/romance with the literal embodiment of death can be approached in some interesting ways. The scale of Thanos could be conveyed by keeping him distant (emotionally and/or physically) and enigmatic, perhaps like how Galactus was sometimes portrayed in the early comics where even the presence of humans in his craft were as inconsequential as houseflies.

His nature and abstract motives (e.g. romance with death) might be revealed through Dr. Strange. I see Thanos as a being omnipresent in multiple planes of reality and whose enigmatic psyche might reflect his perception of multiple (all?) planes of reality.

While Thanos' portrayal in GotG seemed more conventional, there are a number of ways to contrive an explanation for that departure. Of course we can also simply presume much of his development occurred as a result of him possessing the stones - in which case we have every excuse to reinvent him from the ground up. It also separates him further from Gamora and Nebula (I always felt like the existence of two "daughters" could attenuate Thanos' "stature" as a big bad. i.e. How enigmatic can he actually be if he has two "daughters" who seem entirely relatable as characters?). His possession of the stones could corrupt him into a transdimensional omniscient being - but that premise, at face value, also is already a well-worn device (LotR etc.).

I'm just going to spitball my ideas in this thread.

With the scale of this film we might also use the opportunity to also allude to or introduce grand cosmic beings, like Eternity, the Celestials, etc.

We have technically been introduced to the Celestials.

I think they need to go full throttle with his back story. If you don't go full throttle on this one, Thanos will suffer. If you don't get into the idea that he worships the physical embodiment of death (that concept alone will be difficult to portray with the right gravitas on screen) to such a degree that he willingly murders his family for her (ultimate mistress) and then essentially nukes his own race, then it's going to feel like Thanos-light. We don't want that.

Take us to Titan, show us Eternal parents, nice little voice over explaining the Celestials creating life on earth, and life elsewhere. Link it to the Guardians head mining scene. Show Thanos upbringing as a Deviant Eternal hybrid scenario, and his growing hatred and obsession with nihilism over the years as a short montage.

As much as I absolutely adore GotG, it does feel like they have slightly stifled what they might be able to do with him. His words are impressive so far ("I will bathe the star ways in your blood" is a particular favourite) but his actual actions don't feel like someone that should be the biggest threat to the ******* galaxy the MCU has ever faced.

However - some of what you're saying I think can be conveyed by his physical threat. If he literally is easily able to swat aside the Hulk, severely injure Thor, crack open Iron Man like a sardine can etc. That would be very, very interesting. What happens when the Avengers are genuinely outmatched physically? We haven't seen that yet. They've always had fodder to fight (which will happen again I imagine, with another alien race).

Speaking of which, we've never seen what planetoid Thanos is on when he is in his chair - I've just thought for the first time - is it a ravaged/desolate Titan already?

With almost each film there has to be some unexpected big surprises. Deep down inside I'm hoping Marvel struck an inside deal to give Fox the TV rights for The X-Men in exchange for getting back the Fantastic Four which would be revealed in Infinity War.

Could be promising...but has good chance at being a poop stain too. Saddly a good junk of the marvel movies have been terrible. Yet I still Cant wait to see more to get a better idea of what direction it's going in. Sounds like I'm a downer, but hey it's what they put out already to sway me this way.

def looking to be epic and hopefully thanos will not dissapoint.

I'll admit I have had concerns. I liked Thanos in the sting at the end of Avengers. I was drastically less happy with his tweaked appearance at the end of GotG. But the (concept art? maquette?) in that video has me hopeful again.

Sadly a good [chunk] of the marvel movies have been terrible.

hqdefault.jpg

I have some issues with Iron Man 2, but I still love watching it. I think IM3 should have been two films, but I understand the crunch they were under. I feel AoU should have been called just Avengers: Ultron (and I have more extensive musings as to whether it should have been after Ant Man, so Pym could be involved, as he created Ultron in the comics...). Incredible Hulk was okay, but I don't watch it often due to the glaring recasting of the main character -- I don't object, I think Mark fits better, I understand why... it's just a bit of a jolting change if one is marathoning them.

But none of those do I consider "terrible", far less any of the others. What's your metric?

--Jonah

Lmao, nice guys. Love the scooby doo.

Not all the movies were terrible, but some are pretty bad. I think it has to do more with the characters than the story line. Some elements of what happens to the character or story is just too silly for even a 80's flick.

best : iron man & Ant man. Both told great stories with character development. Had some action scenes as well.

good : Thor & Thor 2. The brothers made a the story workable and classic rivalry / betrayal of a kingdom
The winter soldier--bucky killed this and saved the movie from the problems of BW & Nick angry fury

ok: The hulk - not too bad of a story. They left a ton of stuff on the table tho. Which could have been great if Ed was at the helm still.

Starting to be terrible: The avengers - not as cool as it could have been. But ironman picking on capt was great. Moar nick fury dumb stuff. The sudden end of an alien attack is basically independents day style. Ok we blew up the mother ship and the threat is over. Come on done before and who wrote this ending, JJ Abraham??

Capt America : boring, took me 4 times to finally watch the whole thing. Capt is such a boring and dumb guy that the Red Skull decided to kill himself than have to deal with Rogers. That's not a joke, it's true.

terrible : Iron man 2 & 3...wow just move long

AofU : more black widow & Hawkeye craziness. Both members should be dead by now. Only a few years from the 1st avengers flick. Hawkeye has 2-3 kids/teen now?? Someone. Iron man, Thor and hulk was ok. Scarlet witch & quick silver were tight and saving grace.

havent watched CW cause I've been told I'll break my TV since everyone outside of here has hated it. Which some loved the other movies
haven't watched Dr. Strange yet either, but heard it's pretty good.

i find Nick Fury as being terrible and he should have died during the WS. I like my old one eye nick as bad ass..not a Bad mother f'er
capt America / Rogers drives me crazy as well. Talks a mean game of not wanting to hurt or kill people. Yet uses his super strength to punch, kick, head butt and throw a big ass metal shield at everyone he sees not in the group. Plus shoots ppl like it's not a biggie.unless he is using rubber bullets. Star Wars Flynn and him are best buddies.

Black widow & Hawkeye should both be dead. Simple as you have no powers and are plain humans ( no cool body suits of armor)

* only talking movies in the marvel connection chain.

But I do hope this one is a good one. Just not geeked about it and it would need a main character or two kick the bucket for once.

*watches the video*

Oh, wow. This video is like a reassurance to everyone that diversity in the MCU is here to die.

Lmao, nice guys. Love the scooby doo.

Not all the movies were terrible, but some are pretty bad. I think it has to do more with the characters than the story line. Some elements of what happens to the character or story is just too silly for even a 80's flick.

best : iron man & Ant man. Both told great stories with character development. Had some action scenes as well.

good : Thor & Thor 2. The brothers made a the story workable and classic rivalry / betrayal of a kingdom
The winter soldier--bucky killed this and saved the movie from the problems of BW & Nick angry fury

ok: The hulk - not too bad of a story. They left a ton of stuff on the table tho. Which could have been great if Ed was at the helm still.

Starting to be terrible: The avengers - not as cool as it could have been. But ironman picking on capt was great. Moar nick fury dumb stuff. The sudden end of an alien attack is basically independents day style. Ok we blew up the mother ship and the threat is over. Come on done before and who wrote this ending, JJ Abraham??

Capt America : boring, took me 4 times to finally watch the whole thing. Capt is such a boring and dumb guy that the Red Skull decided to kill himself than have to deal with Rogers. That's not a joke, it's true.

terrible : Iron man 2 & 3...wow just move long

AofU : more black widow & Hawkeye craziness. Both members should be dead by now. Only a few years from the 1st avengers flick. Hawkeye has 2-3 kids/teen now?? Someone. Iron man, Thor and hulk was ok. Scarlet witch & quick silver were tight and saving grace.

havent watched CW cause I've been told I'll break my TV since everyone outside of here has hated it. Which some loved the other movies
haven't watched Dr. Strange yet either, but heard it's pretty good.

i find Nick Fury as being terrible and he should have died during the WS. I like my old one eye nick as bad ass..not a Bad mother f'er
capt America / Rogers drives me crazy as well. Talks a mean game of not wanting to hurt or kill people. Yet uses his super strength to punch, kick, head butt and throw a big ass metal shield at everyone he sees not in the group. Plus shoots ppl like it's not a biggie.unless he is using rubber bullets. Star Wars Flynn and him are best buddies.

Black widow & Hawkeye should both be dead. Simple as you have no powers and are plain humans ( no cool body suits of armor)

* only talking movies in the marvel connection chain.

But I do hope this one is a good one. Just not geeked about it and it would need a main character or two kick the bucket for once.
I cant take anything you say seriously now if you think The Avengers is where it started to "get terrible". Youre the only person I have ever HEARD that didnt think that movie was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

*watches the video*

Oh, wow. This video is like a reassurance to everyone that diversity in the MCU is here to die.
Why do you say that? Just cause they showed their biggest stars that happen to be white, youre going to say that? You do realize there is going to be a Black Panther stand alone live action movie right, which is produced by Marvel?

I Why do you say that? Just cause they showed their biggest stars that happen to be white, youre going to say that? You do realize there is going to be a Black Panther stand alone live action movie right, which is produced by Marvel?

Agreed, how would they make it more diverse when all of the main cast of characters have already been cast years ago? Should they fire Chris Evans and cast a black, lesbian, transsexual to take the role of Cap? Recast Iron Man with an Asian Male, change Thor to a Hispanic Female? How do expect the main cast to be more diverse without completely recasting the roles?

Just not geeked about it and it would need a main character or two kick the bucket for once.
You are not the first and only one to fixate on the idea that a character should die. However, I subscribe to the belief expressed by the Russo's during an interview - that killing characters is often a cheap and easy way to inflate the stakes in a film (c.f. "fridging"). Did we ever think for one second that James Bond, Indiana Jones or Rambo (or Riggs and Murtaugh) could ever die in their movies? Did it ever detract from our enjoyment that the possibility of death wasn't on the table? I feel that superhero films have been unfairly singled out for this criticism.

You are not the first and only one to fixate on the idea that a character should die. However, I subscribe to the belief expressed by the Russo's during an interview - that killing characters is often a cheap and easy way to inflate the stakes in a film (c.f. "fridging"). Did we ever think for one second that James Bond, Indiana Jones or Rambo (or Riggs and Murtaugh) could ever die in their movies? Did it ever detract from our enjoyment that the possibility of death wasn't on the table? I feel that superhero films have been unfairly singled out for this criticism.

They are a super hero tho. Some do have to die at points to push forward the story. Even if they must die protecting someone else or the whole earth. To be a true super hero the ultimate sacrife must be done at some point. This shows who and why they chose this life style, it's not about them. But it's about the reason for doing it..to raise up and protect each other big or small. Even jean & Logan knew she must die to save everyone. Jean even stayed behind to allow the rest of team to escape from the dam breaking. Marvel / Disney has yet to allow a team member to die beyond a shield member. Watching another friend face death to save them is a powerful tool. It's something they will never forget and would make sure everyone understands why it happened good or bad.

indy , bond and other are deaths that are not needed. Look what it did for luke in Star Wars. It's some powerful ****.

Agreed, how would they make it more diverse when all of the main cast of characters have already been cast years ago?
Oh, I don't know. How about showing off more than the white male cast and crew in your sneak peak preview? Thanos is the big bad of this story, right? Wouldn't his daughters, Gamora and Nebula have a say in this? Where's Zoe and Karen? Or Scarlett? What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back