Batman Beyond: Shriek - Costume Build

Tiptop

Hi all!

This is a costume I have been wanting to attempt for quite some time as I absolutely love the design and theme of this villain.
Also, speakers + costume = fun!
First off, a look at this noisy baddy:
shriek_model_sheet_i_by_nes44nes.jpg

Really simple, sleek-looking outfit that makes for some difficult(to me) construction. Rather than having many detailed stiff parts, this requires large smooth flexible sections. I've been grappling with how to create the chest and arm sections for some time. I was thinking of using a base layer of EVA foam with upholstery foam for outer flexibility, then covering the outside in white/black spandex. I mostly have experience working with papier mache and expanding foam, so flexibility is foreign to me.

Does anyone have some ideas/pointers for creating these large flexible arms?

I'm no expert on these things at all, but an idea of mine would be make the majority of it out of stiff parts, then joints or parts that need to move out of silicone or urethane or something like that. Put it all together "seamlessly" then cover it in white spandex so that it can all move flexibly but still seem like it's all one piece. Again I'm no expert at all, it's just an idea that I feel may work. Best of luck!

If you do not want to modify the original silhouette too much, I would look into plated armor, much like you'd see on the shoulders and wrists of medieval knights. That would allow for directional movement (even multi-directional movement if you built them the right way) while still keeping much of the same look.

The only other idea I came up with when I was originally building the costume was to cast the arms in urethane rubber. This would provide a flexible cast while still retaining its shape, though I think it would need some skeleton support on the underside to keep it from collapsing due to its own weight. However, those are LARGE pieces. They would take a while to master (probably easiest out of clay), and it would be a very expensive endeavor considering how much molding and casting materials you would have to purchase. This method is really only viable if money is no object, or you do not mind saving up for long periods of time and building this costume over a long time span.

I am glad to see someone else tackling the character! I look forward to seeing how your build comes together.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back