Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but what about one hit kills? Guy gets into a fight with 10 other men, hits them once and they lie on the floor bleeding never to get up again. Or along the same vein, how about deathly blows/shots that hit the hero in a critical region that would have killed any other person only for them to pull thru it with his arm in a sling. That stuff drives me crazy!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but what about one hit kills? Guy gets into a fight with 10 other men, hits them once and they lie on the floor bleeding never to get up again.
OPW, One Punch Wonder. Actually a lot more common than you'd think.

Speaking of punches, I'm tired of phoney baloney boxing sequences, like in Rocky, when the fighters take and trade full punches and just keep on going! Here's a thought: how about a realistic match from film makers who pretend to know about the sport.

I know, geography is a hard thing for americans and the german language, but this is totally insulting an international audience.

Reminds me of "Slow West", particularly the scene when Jay gets lost and doesn't know which way is west.
The movie takes place in Colorado - I'm from Colorado. It's impossible to not know which way is west in Colorado.
But, it was a film made by kiwis in kiwi land, who've probably never been to Colorado, so I can forgive them that.
It was still a darn good movie.

But in this context it's not a one on one sparring match of brawl, it's one guy (our hero) vs. multiple opponents, often trained to nearly the same level as our hero. It also doesn't happen with just hand to hand, you see this a lot with guns as well, our hero shoots the bad guys and shot takes them out where as our hero takes multiple shots and survives not all that much worse for wear.

Just watched this movie on Netflix the other day called Dragon Wolf... the hero at the end is trying to get to the bad guy. He's been thru pure hell... First encounter is a fight with someone wielding a sword, and gets sliced several times by a sword, blood gushing everywhere arms, legs, back, sides, etc... then had to fight his way thru a gauntlet of bad guys... this is directly after getting sliced now... gets up to these two trained assassins who beat him down to within am inch of his life, and all the sudden he remembers what he's fighting for, the revenge over the main bad guy killing the one he loved. And all the sudden gets a tremendous burst of energy and of course defeats the two assasins easily. I mean comon, the guy has lost so much blood by now, his muscles and brain are starving for oxygen, but yet he can continue fighting and move fast enough to defeat seasoned fighters who were waiting for him the whole time and jumped in fresh and rested? So tired of that old diatribe!

Speaking of punches, I'm tired of phoney baloney boxing sequences, like in Rocky, when the fighters take and trade full punches and just keep on going! Here's a thought: how about a realistic match from film makers who pretend to know about the sport.

There have been a few fights over the years were they really have gone balls to the wall. Check Hagler v Hearns, or Ward v Gatti 1. And all the british middleweights of the early/mid nineties were basically trying to kill each other.

Rocky gets a by, they're not really about the boxing.

The problem is a lot of boxing matches can be quite dull if they went too realistic it would be boring. Also, boxing films always have the fights as a montage, in my mind I just think of them as highlights reel of all the decent bits of a fight.

There have been a few fights over the years were they really have gone balls to the wall. Check Hagler v Hearns, or Ward v Gatti 1. And all the british middleweights of the early/mid nineties were basically trying to kill each other.

Rocky gets a by, they're not really about the boxing.

The problem is a lot of boxing matches can be quite dull if they went too realistic it would be boring. Also, boxing films always have the fights as a montage, in my mind I just think of them as highlights reel of all the decent bits of a fight.
I do like the Rocky movies but not for the "boxing."
My problem with the fighting in Rocky isn't just that they're brawling, but they're often trading punches with absolutely no form whatsoever. I disagree that real boxing matches are necessarily boring to watch for anyone other than a boxing fan. Is it asking too much for them to even keep their gloves up?

My suspicion is that decent boxing choreography is simply very difficult to film because actors usually don't have the discipline to develop the muscle memory to throw punches with speed and good form. Either that or directors believe the audience is too dumb to follow action if the punches aren't telegraphed dramatically.

Two guys trading haymakers makes it hard to suspend disbelief for a pro boxing film.

I do like the Rocky movies but not for the "boxing."
My problem with the fighting in Rocky isn't just that they're brawling, but they're often trading punches with absolutely no form whatsoever. I disagree that real boxing matches are necessarily boring to watch for anyone other than a boxing fan. Is it asking too much for them to even keep their gloves up?

My suspicion is that decent boxing choreography is simply very difficult to film because actors usually don't have the discipline to develop the muscle memory to throw punches with speed and good form. Either that or directors believe the audience is too dumb to follow action if the punches aren't telegraphed dramatically.

Two guys trading haymakers makes it hard to suspend disbelief for a pro boxing film.

I didn't mean all matches were dull, you do get a lot of stinkers though.

I tend to agree with you on the actors, I think they get way over invested in getting the look/body type of a boxer. There are a lot of fighters out there that aren't ripped. In fact on some forums I saw people complaining that Pretty Ricky Conlan in Creed didn't look enough like a boxer because he wasn't ripped enough!!! The real life cruiserwieght champ doesn't look like a boxer!! It s easy to see why directors might think the audience is dumb!

Not getting political but...this is like the movie cliche that American gun owners are all fat, redneck/hillbilly types and always unsophisticated. Or anyone who is wary of their government is always paranoid, not just healthy skepticism but a straight up "everything's a conspiracy" type. No middle ground for any of it.

Oh, and in horror movies, anyone who has/finds a weapon or shows any type of confidence/competence with said item is quickly killed or shown they are anything BUT proficient with it...yea I know, it would be a short movie if someone had a concealed carry weapon but I digress lol
It's been mentioned before in this thread but it bothers me so much that I think it can't be said often enough.

It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't encounter so many people who actually believe this was predominantly true.
That gun owners are characteristically:

1. paranoid - to the degree that they lack common sense and see everything as a potential threat
2. psychologically insecure -
2. irresponsible - parking illegally, flicking cigarette butts into dry brush
3. amoral - blasé about taking life
4. male -
5. obese/unshaven/slovenly/alcoholic -
6. uneducated -
7. gullible - first one dumb enough to get killed by the monster/alien
8. impulsive - pulling a gun whenever he's startled by a sound
9. hot-tempered - pulling a gun if someone insults his intelligence (which is characteristically lacking)
10. irrational - can't understand that the monster/alien is, not only impervious to firearms, but that it came in peace (until shot at)
11. are bigots
12. are racists
13. are sadists
14. sexually impotent - why else would he need a gun if he isn't compensating for something?
15. drives a huge pickup truck (see 14.)
16. wields an impractically large firearm for personal defense
17. cowardly - is the first to abandon the party in the interest of self-preservation. He's usually the guy who shuts the door leaving everyone else to face the monster/alien. Of course he gets killed anyway (see rule 7.) - often because he finds he's locked himself in with the threat. In true cowardly fashion he screams hysterically and dies with less dignity than any other victim.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned before in this thread but it bothers me so much that I think it can't be said often enough.

It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't encounter so many people who actually believe this was predominantly true.

1. paranoid - to the degree that they lack common sense and see everything as a potential threat
2. irresponsible -
4. male -
6. uneducated -
9. hot-tempered - pulling a gun if someone insults his intelligence (which is characteristically lacking)
10. irrational - can't understand that the monster/alien is not only impervious to firearms but that it came in peace (until shot at)
11. are bigots
12. are racists
13. are sadists
14. sexually impotent - why else would he need a gun if he isn't compensating for something?

That and guns are evil death dealing devices that kill with a single hit to anywhere, unless you're the hero then any shot they get hit with is a just mere flesh wound or is stopped because they're conveniently wearing body armor, even though there's no way that they could have concealed any body armor under the clothes they were wearing without it showing.

2. irresponsible - parking illegally, flicking cigarette butts into dry brush
4. male -
6. uneducated -
10. irrational - can't understand that the monster/alien is, not only impervious to firearms, but that it came in peace (until shot at)
11. are bigots
12. are racists
13. are sadists

Yup, and another thing: Obviously, insecure, fearful people who hate guns and gun-owners have never met Lucas McCain!

perfect teeth!

you look at a medival movie: stars have perfect simetrical teeth and whiter than snow.
you see a alien female in a series: perfect teeth with hese modern day fake facings

ok bad teeth look awefull but the fake perfect, way to white teeth movie stars have now. yuk!

Like the recent episode of Marvel Agents of Shield, where the astronaut had been marooned on a desert planet for 14 years, without food or water, but somehow managed to find the only hairdressing salon on the planet, as his beard was neatly trimmed and hair styled to within an inch of perfection. I look worse getting out of bed each morning! Couldn't hair and makeup for the shoot have found him a wig or something?

And on the hero punch: how many times will the wimpy hero slug the bad guy with a sock to the jaw, and then turn away shaking his hand and grimacing in agony. Every *bleeping* time!

That and guns are evil death dealing devices that kill with a single hit to anywhere, unless you're the hero then any shot they get hit with is a just mere flesh wound or is stopped because they're conveniently wearing body armor, even though there's no way that they could have concealed any body armor under the clothes they were wearing without it showing.

heh i have a collectors license for odd caliber guns. here you only get such a license if you get accepted by a group of collectors and want to collect something that is not common so there wont be hundreds of collections that ar basicly the same. my neigbors lived here for 7 years till they heard i collect guns.most people here in town dont even know at all about the collection. most know i am in a club for target shooting only. most of my collection i lend out to a museum btw.

and no, my guns never shot someone spontaniously and are just as dangerous as a teddybear on steriods :p only if used in wrong way you can kill someone with it, but a brick will do that as well.

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but it bugs me (seen more often in TV shows clearly budget-saving) Bad "day-for-night" effect. No, I don't believe it's night-time, it's clearly a dark filter because the background clear, is there are strong shadows or bright-lit clouds and (here's the worst one) that fire/torch/light is clearly darker than it should be (because: filter)

When some object is being levitated but you can notice an ever so slight axial wobble as if it's being suspended by a single monofilament.
e.g. Dagobah training scene where a stone is placed on another stone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back