Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Awesome work! I finally managed to get my hands on a Black Series helmet, so I will definitely be reviewing this thread for tips! Thanks for sharing your work!

Yeah I've been thingking about that too. I think it can work. The magnets keep it shut but the only problem is how to make it open by holding it on the sides like kylo does. It would have to be electric or something. The hinge parts should be easy.

Sithcamarow made his move but it looks like he's using some kinda thumb leaver inside the helmet. It's not really very smooth

Hey, back with more questions! Do you have any recommendations on paint type? I got some of the Krylon plastic paint but am not sure if that would be my best bet or not. Also did you paint the silver parts too? I ended up sanding all the exposed parts so i will need to repaint everything t some degree.

Sithcamarow made his move but it looks like he's using some kinda thumb leaver inside the helmet. It's not really very smooth

I'd like to see how he approached his, do you have a link to it?

Hey, back with more questions! Do you have any recommendations on paint type? I got some of the Krylon plastic paint but am not sure if that would be my best bet or not. Also did you paint the silver parts too? I ended up sanding all the exposed parts so i will need to repaint everything t some degree.

I used enamel paint as thats what I had on hand. Any type would work but I would steer clear of latex spary paints theyre soft and gummy. Any enamel or lacuer would work fine.

Which silver parts? I painted the entire helmet, a few times actually, everything except the inside.

Love seeing these Black Series Mods. Gives me the itch to Mod mine. Great work!

Got my BS yesterday, and it's pretty good! Couple questions for those that are doing mods.Here's a picture of a supposed production prop from Celebration:

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107.jpg

-Both the BS and the Anovos have a MUCH shorter "parallel line" section at the very bottom just before the rear flares out. Is there any more reference on this section? Is anyone extending it?

-Speaking of that back flare, with the BS helmet it never detaches from the helmet in the front like it does with the production and Anovos props. It also seems to be slightly shorter and flare out less. They obviously made it this way so it could be molded better, but is anyone modding this to look a little more accurate?

anovod.png

-Lastly, on the pic from celebration it looks like the front "snout" piece has a different finish from the rest of the helmet. More graphitey and less metallic. The Anovos seems to have a uniform finish all over. It's so hard to tell from trailer shots, but is there any more reference for the finish itself?

Attachments

• Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107.jpg
    Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 231
Got my BS yesterday, and it's pretty good! Couple questions for those that are doing mods.Here's a picture of a supposed production prop from Celebration:

View attachment 574861

-Both the BS and the Anovos have a MUCH shorter "parallel line" section at the very bottom just before the rear flares out. Is there any more reference on this section? Is anyone extending it?

-Speaking of that back flare, with the BS helmet it never detaches from the helmet in the front like it does with the production and Anovos props. It also seems to be slightly shorter and flare out less. They obviously made it this way so it could be molded better, but is anyone modding this to look a little more accurate?

View attachment 574863

-Lastly, on the pic from celebration it looks like the front "snout" piece has a different finish from the rest of the helmet. More graphitey and less metallic. The Anovos seems to have a uniform finish all over. It's so hard to tell from trailer shots, but is there any more reference for the finish itself?

The parallel lines from that helmet seems to be so long because it connects to the base of the helmet that flare outward much like the bs helmet. The anovos and I think the hero helmet dont do that. I refered to this in my original post, I think I called these side jaw pieces. I made these so they extend further back into the helmet so the silhouette of the helmet is closer to the last pic you posted.

IMAG0472[1].jpgKylo F.jpgKylo G.jpg

The parallel lines from that helmet seems to be so long because it connects to the base of the helmet that flare outward much like the bs helmet. The anovos and I think the hero helmet dont do that. I refered to this in my original post, I think I called these side jaw pieces. I made these so they extend further back into the helmet so the silhouette of the helmet is closer to the last pic you posted.

View attachment 574918View attachment 574919View attachment 574920

I have seen many mod`s all over the place. you going to attempt to reconstruct the front to have the moveable section? that was the best mod on this I have seen. I wont be doing a major modification to mine, I`d love to close the seam. maybe remove the plastic in the eyes and cover that and the holes with cloth or another material. I wont be doing any major reconstruction to it I just want it to be a 1 piece instead of two.

I have seen many mod`s all over the place. you going to attempt to reconstruct the front to have the moveable section? that was the best mod on this I have seen. I wont be doing a major modification to mine, I`d love to close the seam. maybe remove the plastic in the eyes and cover that and the holes with cloth or another material. I wont be doing any major reconstruction to it I just want it to be a 1 piece instead of two.

the front on mine is already removable with magnets holding it in place, I just decide to make it that way, it was a happy coincidence that the movie one was movable. I think i'm gonna make mine move up using some kind of mechanism, just don't know exactly how yet. I got a bunch of ideas, I guess I'm just filtering them out.

Fantastic work on the Helmet!

One thing I have been trying to figure out is how mirror like is the the metal on the prop at celebration and in the movie. I kind of feel like the chrome on the BS is almost too reflective. I was thinking of ways to dull it down a bit without making it look like it's just dull silver paint. Any thoughts on that?

the front on mine is already removable with magnets holding it in place, I just decide to make it that way, it was a happy coincidence that the movie one was movable. I think i'm gonna make mine move up using some kind of mechanism, just don't know exactly how yet. I got a bunch of ideas, I guess I'm just filtering them out.

No way.. that's one I have not seen yet.. Only reason I`m not going further is lack of skill, lack of knowledge and lack of balls to try it lol!

No way.. that's one I have not seen yet.. Only reason I`m not going further is lack of skill, lack of knowledge and lack of balls to try it lol!

Yeah I made it removable just because. I didn't even know the movie helmet would do that. Hahaha I was scared it wasn't gonna turn out good when I did it too, it was a first time I tried replicating something.

Here's the magnets at work.
IMAG0481.jpgIMAG0480.jpg

View attachment 574918View attachment 574919View attachment 574920

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to separate the jaw pieces from the rest of it, and I'm thinking of extending the flare out with some reshaping and styrene as well.

I have a feeling once the Blu-Ray is released, we're all going to have a second go at this :)

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to separate the jaw pieces from the rest of it, and I'm thinking of extending the flare out with some reshaping and styrene as well.

I have a feeling once the Blu-Ray is released, we're all going to have a second go at this :)

careful when you cut it out as it leaves very little of the black plastic left. Especially if you take off the chrome part when you're doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic work on the Helmet!

One thing I have been trying to figure out is how mirror like is the the metal on the prop at celebration and in the movie. I kind of feel like the chrome on the BS is almost too reflective. I was thinking of ways to dull it down a bit without making it look like it's just dull silver paint. Any thoughts on that?

A really light wash of a matte or even satin gray color can bring the reflectiveness of the chromed plastic down I think. Or maybe if you're careful some light duty white scotchbrite.

I would go the mash route first.

OK, I finally started my mods. I have both the Disney and Black series (sorry, I just can't call it BS, lol). I have taken both apart and started to do some dremel work.
20160108_164456.jpg20160108_234217.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back