Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432118702.881494.jpg

Not one single mention of the past from the OT is borne out by the story told by the prequels. They're really irrelevant trash well before you get down to considering ship designs.

The lightsaber thing bums me out. Much like Luke hearing about his real mother for the first time, there's so much significance in this hilt being deliberately passed from father to son which is erased by the prequel story. Once again - they didn't even try.

Yet, it's the same lightsaber TFA is apparently deciding to use as a key plot device? I guess that's okay... because ya know, it isn't the prequels.

I don't get the complaint about Obi Wan giving Luke the lightsaber as he did. Seemed to work pretty well along with Obi Wan's other stories "from a certain point of view" - which is established in the OT. But, again -- it's the prequels - and since it didn't live up to the hype and the nostalgia that makes the OT so great.

After all, it's fashionable and trendy to hate the PT - while so many of us are worshiping at the feet of JJ before seeing a movie and while ignoring the obvious and glaring faults with the movie already evident in the trailers (because - ya know, it isn't George and because... squee! Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters and X-Wings and practical effects!!)

I'm going to leave this link here, hope some take the time to read it (the dude makes some great points - even if it's not all spot on) and quietly back away from this discussion - as the PT bashing thing has been done to death, it's way to trendy to blindly hate on the it; but, most importantly - I want to back away from the spoiler game and hope to have some surprise left come December 18th (I've been wanting to do this for a while).
Bryancd has got an amazing handle on this movie - and I hope it's as awesome as he thinks it will be. Keep up the good fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I have a problem with the saber being in TFA just because I wish the prequels had connected in any way with what the OT said about the past? I see the Graflex as Star Wars' Excalibur in a way - I love that it's still in the story. I wish the last time it had been seen in theaters it had a better role to play, but they couldn't be bothered to mention the thing outside of Anakin being told not to drop it. At least the sequel saber looks like the originals...

I don't know if it's a fair knock on Ep.III that we don't see Anakin making the Graflex saber or that there is no meaningful focus on it. I think it's value in the saga is simply the physical connection Luke can have with his father he never knew. So the "Excalibur" element really doesn't become meaningful until the OT and now more so in the ST.

We articulate clearly what we don't like about the prequels and yet always hear those refrains of "trendy prequel bashing" or told we're not being able to enjoy "fun" movies in our adulthood. I'm a bit envious of people who can find enough to like in the PT, but my absence from that camp isn't due to any bandwagon. They're bad movies. When told why someone you don't know doesn't like something, it's kind of strange to respond by telling them why they REALLY don't like it.

With most art that's as widely derided as the prequels, the people who do like it acknowledge the consensus and the overwhelming flaws and consider it a guilty pleasure of their own. For some reason, that's not enough for some prequel defenders. The criticisms have to be wrong! It seems akin to defending the artistic merits of a boy band's glossy cover of a beloved classic, but to each their own...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know if it's a fair knock on Ep.III that we don't see Anakin making the Graflex saber or that there is no meaningful focus on it. I think it's value in the saga is simply the physical connection Luke can have with his father he never knew. So the "Excalibur" element really doesn't become meaningful until the OT and now more so in the ST.

I don't need to see him make it, but it would have been great if better writers than I could have mapped a course for the object where it is somehow intended for Luke.

I don't know, I just don't think that really needed to be part of the PT story. The value of the saber to the OT is that it symbolizes Luke's first step into that larger world.

There should have been some sort of connection between Anakin and his children before he started to turn to the darkside. The saber could have served as great device in telling that story.

There should have been some sort of connection between Anakin and his children before he started to turn to the darkside. The saber could have served as great device in telling that story.

But that would have clearly have contradicted the OT where Vader's barely aware that he had a son, much less a daughter as well.

I'd like to type what I mean in greater detail, but I only have one hand to type with for the next 4 weeks so it would be a bit cumbersome to type out a TLDR novel. But I think there is a scenario that could have worked. One which involves Padme living past giving birth, and one where the children are separated and taken from Anakin prior to his complete turn. And really it doesn't matter because all the fan fiction in the world can't change what is, I guess.

My fan theory is that GL knew full well that he was going to make the PT horrible. Everyone always gives him flak for seeming disinterested and lazy in the BTS footage, but what if he just really didn't care? What if it was all a plot to advance both digital and physical effects to the point to where he could make his REAL vision? The movie he REALLY conceived 40 years ago?

That vision? The Force Awakens.

...except that he's not making it. He sold the rights to Disney.

Flaw in theory. :p

I think George didn't write a story because he wanted to, he wrote something he thought he needed to sell. He didn't take time to write the story as a whole, and missed continuity. I believe he had too many "yes" men who let the PT turn out the way it did, and George just ran with it.

maybe selling the whole thing to di$ney should have been a wake-up call to abrams and kennedy to redo the whole bloody thing. the PT could have been
redone to match up better with the OT which (if by accident or design) george ****ed up royally!

George turned ROTJ into a joke with the Ewoks and turning Fett into a (once awesome character into a silly character)... He was already into the mindset of "Star Wars is for children"...Which is BS.

Fett is a nobody. Writing off the whole of ROTJ over Fett is silly. He's BEYOND a minor character, no matter how cool he looks. The Ewoks were the primitive force against the machine, symbolically, and I am 100% in favor of that. Go Ewoks. Luke's rage as he attacks Vader, and that MUSIC. Oh man. ROTJ is a great movie, and except for that awful Leia/Luke/Han "hold me" Ewok village dialogue, which is over in a bathroom break, ROTJ is fit to go head ot head with the other two films in the OT. Is it the weakest of the three? Yep. Is it "bad"? Oh HELL no. Not at all.

And it's friggin Hemingway next to anything in the soul-less crapfest of the PT.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back