Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 15 June - eye lenses and shutters

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 6 Dec - accurate foam liner

I'll be watching for your foam run. ;) This whole thread has been inspiring as heck over the last couple years, but I keep being daunted by availability/cost of the original parts and replicas. I have an annoying knack of stumbling across a run just after it's been closed, or finding a vendor who's just decided to retire from the hobby and no one's picked up making what they'd supplied...

One of these days I kinda want to make a diagram charting the elation of various scores and the agony of missed opportunities and seeing where it all averages out. :p The only piece I'm working on that has anywhere near so many hard-to-find bits is my Supertrooper project.

--Jonah

Thanks Marcus ... your name popped up several times whilest catching up on my reading at yuku : The Darth Vader Reveal Helmet.

So I'm more than willing to share that former forum with anyone who's about to start building a DV ROTJ Reveal in the near future :

http://darthvaderrevealed.yuku.com/...et/The-Darth-Vader-Reveal-Helmet#.VLRCLSfdPLV

There's plenty of good information ... as well as some pics available . . . and about 20 pages to really browse through thoroughly :)

Chaim

Finally, after months of trials and tribulations I have the foam liner done. This is 100% screen accurate medical foam CNC cut to a pattern I spent weeks working on. Thanks to Gonk27 for his help!

No problem Marcus :) love those front-on photos of your mask!

Thanks Marcus ... your name popped up several times whilest catching up on my reading at yuku : The Darth Vader Reveal Helmet.

So I'm more than willing to share that former forum with anyone who's about to start building a DV ROTJ Reveal in the near future :

http://darthvaderrevealed.yuku.com/...et/The-Darth-Vader-Reveal-Helmet#.VLRCLSfdPLV

There's plenty of good information ... as well as some pics available . . . and about 20 pages to really browse through thoroughly :)

Chaim

Wow that link's blast from the past! ahh, enjoyed that forum!

Hi gonk27,

Great to see you pop up in here, will you come join and assist us once more in having our dreams come true of owning such an iconic prop?

And with above picture from the design team for Ep.VII I foresee a certain revival and interest of Darth Vader's mask and helmet for the near future :)

Chaim

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 26 April - Crown 'keys' attached.

A little more work finally. Crown keys attached. Tempted to rip the crown off and make a new one because the raised etched rings are no longer as prominent as they once were due to wiping primer overspray off the crown with white spirit :( They are still visible towards the back but very faded towards the front. All that work blending the crown to the mask :cry
kbrev175.jpg

kbrev176.jpg

kbrev177.jpg

Looking great Marcus

May I ask what crown keys you used?
The black plastic ones and/ or the aluminum ones we got back the days were inaccurate reg. size/ dimensions I´ve read...is this true?

Markus

Awesome thread & awesome dedication to uber accuracy!
Subscribed.
hoping I can progressively join any runs you may offer on parts and greeblies. Have been inspired to take an old vader helmet and creating my own one-off version of one of the holy grails of my Star Wars memories

thanks for sharing all of your efforts, research & experience

Lol, sorry. But yeah. Ta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 20 Sept - Lower mask tubes.

Added the large and small lower mask tubes today. It's really starting to look like Vader now!

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/reveal/kbrev127.jpg

Hi Marcus

Startet cutting away my own CKing DV a few days ago and plan to install new tubes on both, the upper and lower mask...
Did you just glue the new tubes to the lower mask or did you secure it with addtl. pins or something?
I would be afraid to break these off with just a little handling if they were glued only.

Markus

- - - Updated - - -

Another question, if you don´t mind...

Since my crown keys are not 100% accurate to use them for scaling...what diameters did you came up with for the two scribed rings on the crown?

Thx, Markus

Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 7 April 2016 - Major reworking

I'm back at my Reveal attempt. Spent the last six weeks working on it every day and making slow progress. There were a lot of things I just wasn't happy with so I made some changes...

Originally I had only replaced the front part of the upper tubes based on the visible seam on the original prop.
kbrev20b.jpg

kbrev20.jpg

But then Gonk27 found this picture in an issue of Star Wars Insider and you can see that they actually replaced the entire upper tubes with grey Plastruct tubing.
kbrev20c.jpg

So, off the tubes came.
kbrev178.jpg

kbrev181.jpg

kbrev183.jpg

kbrev185.jpg

The gap on th left side of the mouth always bugged me as well so I filled it.
kbrev186.jpg

kbrev187.jpg

kbrev188.jpg

I will install a new crown but hope to do a better job of the etched rings next time...
kbrev189.jpg

I had to re-do the grooves and rails as they were no longer lining up well. I don't know if this is some kind of crap fiberglass or something but each time I leave the mask for a few months and go back to it, something is out of shape!
kbrev190.jpg

The neck and face were too long so I cut them down.
kbrev191.jpg

kbrev192.jpg

kbrev193.jpg

kbrev194.jpg

kbrev195.jpg

Also smoothed out the texture on the neck...
kbrev196.jpg

And ran a little filler along the seams between neck and large tubes.
kbrev197.jpg

kbrev198.jpg

While trying to fit new upper tubes I noticed that the Reveal's tubes are much less curved than an original Vader mask. Red is the original Vader tube, blue is the Reveal.
kbrev199.jpg

So the cheeks need to be filled out a bit. To get it right I heated one of the tubes in boiling water and bent it into the correct shape and used that a guide for how much filler.
kbrev200.jpg

kbrev201.jpg

A lot of work to go!!!

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 7 April 2016 - Major reworking

Looking fantastic Marcus! The filling work on the cheeks has really paid off.

As you know I'm just about at the same stage as you now and will be adding my upper Plastruct tubing soon. You're my guinea pig for this procedure so I'm glad it's working out lol!
It's why I suggested you experiment with plasticine first in the areas that needed filling in - the last thing I wanted to do was advise adding car filler only for it not to work out and cause you more stress undoing it all! I'll have this same step to go through shortly. To begin with I tried adding filler to my cast-in tubes to make them straighter thinking that's what had been done on the original, until I realised they were replaced with plastic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back