The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

WP_20160511_09_32_59_Pro.jpgI did mine in anodized colors.

Last edited:
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but I didn't see it so I figured I'd ask. I saw someone said to clear coat the aluminum shields when finished. But I had two quick questions. 1. Front and back? 2. How many coats? I'll be using a Kylon satin clear. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

First of all the common 'I'm sure this has been asked before'. Now I clear coated my shield and it really dulled the spun look for a general silver grey. I'm so scared to sand in case I dull it more or take off paint. Any suggestions or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. (See above photo)

Quick question... how are people doing the 5 "Peggy" bullet marks on the TFA shields out there?

I would go similar to the battle damaging of shields, get a matte black spray can with a line nozzle, (practice several times first) one quick squirt to give the burn mark. Then wrap the end of a wooden spoon in an old cloth and dip it in acetone and wipe out the mark the bullet would have made.

I would go similar to the battle damaging of shields, get a matte black spray can with a line nozzle, (practice several times first) one quick squirt to give the burn mark. Then wrap the end of a wooden spoon in an old cloth and dip it in acetone and wipe out the mark the bullet would have made.

Awesome didn't think of that. I will try when I get my shield in.

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

View attachment 630373

- - - Updated - - -

First of all the common 'I'm sure this has been asked before'. Now I clear coated my shield and it really dulled the spun look for a general silver grey. I'm so scared to sand in case I dull it more or take off paint. Any suggestions or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. (See above photo)

BUMP!!!

the clear filled in your spun look. a very light high grit sandpaper will restore the scratches. be very slight as not to sand through your paint and sand with the direction of the circle.

Hey, so I got my sleds ready! XD It finally arrived, it's pretty good. I bought 2. I have 1 that's brand new, that I'll be using to make the final shield, and one that I bought for 20 euros because it was already used, so I have something to practice with.

Couple of questions, however! First of all, how do you guys cut the sled shields? Jigsaw? If so, what sort of tip/blade do you use? I don't know much about those things. Would a Dremel do the trick, given the right blade?

Second, my used Sled has bumps in it. Now, I knew this while buying it, and had no intention of actually making it a nice 'smooth' shield, I was only going to use it to test paint strippers and paints without messing with my good shield, but I was wondering; is there maybe a way to get rid of the bumps? Who knows, they're not TOO bad, and I COULD make a super battle damaged shield, but I don't know how to restore the used sled's shape.

Use a jigsaw with a fine-tooth metal cutting blade. I will take a couple minutes. A Dremel will work but will take MUCH, much much longer.

Use a jigsaw with a fine-tooth metal cutting blade. I will take a couple minutes. A Dremel will work but will take MUCH, much much longer.

Oh okay. Is there a particular jigsaw you'd recommend? Aren't they all a bit different when it comes to power/strength or whatever?

Starting painting my shield this weekend. Heres the centre being masked ready for a lovely candy blue ive found. Ready to spray in a bottle.

20160703_114646.png

All painted with the candy blue. Not sure it shows up in the pic but you can still see the machining marks on the surface through it which is exactly what I was after.

20160703_123124.png

Gonna leave that for a few hours to really go off before unmasking. Then its time for the shield with same type of candy paint in cherry. Then I'll assemble the shield and cover in gloss 2k laquer.

Wish me luck.

Centre unmasked, im quite happy with it. Gonna paint the shield today as well... wasnt going to but hey.... what the heck.

20160703_125022.png

First coat applied, quite thin just to ckeck there are no frog eyes appearing..... then larup it on....lol.

20160703_132326.png

And paint laruped. Going to assemble it tomorrow and laquer it. I'll see what it looks like gloss but I might put a final satin laquer coat on but I'll test it all on a scrap piece of ally first. Its much more red in real life not the orange it appears here.... I really must buy a better camera.

20160703_133352.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back