Decoder Ring from Christmas Story

SHIMKO

Was the Little Orphan Annie Decoder ring used in the movie Christmas Story a actual piece or made up prop? I seen a few on ebay, but they dont resemble the one in the film.

Was the Little Orphan Annie Decoder ring used in the movie Christmas Story a actual piece or made up prop? I seen a few on ebay, but they dont resemble the one in the film.

Someone should chime in soon with the website that is selling them.

AFAIK they were the same.

All those old radio premiums ( Captain Midnight, Dick tracy, etc.) would have newly designed decoders, handbooks, member cards, etc each year.
Here's a page about Annie's: http://www.radioarchives.org/annie/

I didn't realize that repros were being sold at a reasonable price. I'll have to keep checking back.

The Wolf

If you buy the one from the Christmas Story house site, it doesn't match up with the movie, but it's still a fun little piece.

If you buy the one from the Christmas Story house site, it doesn't match up with the movie, but it's still a fun little piece.
Correct, the scale is off. The originals are larger (I own both), and on the back, instead of the serial number and the year of manufacture, it has a Christmas Story House logo.

All those old radio premiums ( Captain Midnight, Dick tracy, etc.) would have newly designed decoders, handbooks, member cards, etc each year.
Here's a page about Annie's: RadioArchives.com

I didn't realize that repros were being sold at a reasonable price. I'll have to keep checking back.

The Wolf

Thanks for that awesome link:thumbsup One of my favorite Christmas films:)

You can pick up originals on Ebay all the time. Just type in Little Orphan Annie 1940 Decoder pin and you can buy one. i bought an original for $49, but they can go as high as $150.

You can pick up originals on Ebay all the time. Just type in Little Orphan Annie 1940 Decoder pin and you can buy one. i bought an original for $49, but they can go as high as $150.

yeah they are all over , but like most just don't buy from mid oct through Jan. because prices are sky high. I have collected " a christmas story" fpr years and love the dept 56 things from SEARS...

I'm working on a some ACS stuff right now. Have Zeppelin, bowling trophy, tank, Simoniz, decoders, big little books, magazines, rifles, script, leg lamp, and am working on the console radio.

I'm working on a some ACS stuff right now. Have Zeppelin, bowling trophy, tank, Simoniz, decoders, big little books, magazines, rifles, script, leg lamp, and am working on the console radio.

I have hunted around for the Zeppelin, but no luck. Is your screen accurate? I bought two old console radios, but they are not accurate. One was bought in Cleveland back in the early 1990's.... it would have been cool if I came to find out it was the one used in the movie... but sadly it is not.

I have hunted around for the Zeppelin, but no luck. Is your screen accurate?
Mine is a screen accurate piece, but it is missing the front wheels, as well as the rear propeller mechanism. They are rare as hen's teeth, and I missed out on a more-complete one as the price was simply too high.

Here is mine:

DSC_9636%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

Picture5.jpg

I bought two old console radios, but they are not accurate. One was bought in Cleveland back in the early 1990's.... it would have been cool if I came to find out it was the one used in the movie... but sadly it is not.
Its not an American Radio. The interiors were shot in Canada, which is where most of the interior props were sourced. I'm having difficulty reaching a shipping solution on the console radio right now.

I need to put together a small light box and shoot the whole collection one of these days, but here are some more of what I've got.

Mother's Look Magazine.
DSC_9637%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

The bowling Trophy (it had a frosting spray applied in the movie so you wouldn't see the reflection of the stage crew):
DSC_9639%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

The magazine from the coffee table:
DSC_0410%20(Large).JPG

trophy.jpg

The correct size major award.
DSC_9846%20(Large).JPG

Here is an original 1983 Christmas Dream rifle:
DSC_9866%20(Large).JPG

I have a 20th anniversary edition, and two 25th anniversary editions, one of which is singed by Ms. Shields, Scut Farkus, Grover Dill, Randy, Black Bart, and Flick.
DSCN0473%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1229%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1233%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1235%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1238%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1239%20(Large).JPG

A few pics, one of black bart, signed, and one of the two elves, signed by both.
DSC_1245%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1246%20(Large).JPG

Two of the Big Little books from Ms. Shield's drawer:
DSC_0041%20(Large).JPG

DSC_0424%20(Large).JPG

DSC_0425%20(Large).JPG

Ace_of_Test_Pilots.jpg

Tank from the Higbee's display (mine doesn't spark anymore as the strikers are worn, but it moves under its own power.. or atleast did when I bought it):
DSCN1042%20(Large).JPG

I've got a signed Script as well.

DSC_1242%20(Large).JPG

And Ms. Shield's book on the movie:

DSC_1244%20(Large).JPG

DSC_1243%20(Large).JPG

And some random stuff from the convention:
DSC_1247%20(Large).JPG

I don't have pics of the decoders online, but I have 2 replicas and one original.

I've identified the big-little book on Ralphie's desk in his room when he's writing his theme, but no reasonably priced ones have come up lately. I'd like to try my hand at resin casting, and do a screen-accurate lifebouy soap out of red resin. I'd also like to try my hand at the fabricated Red Ryder ad on the back of the Boy's Life magazine which Ralphie slips into his mother's Look magazine. I'll probably require help with that however.

And Higbee's. I couldn't fit the Brass Plaque in my carry on.

DSC_0964%20(Large).JPG

Last edited:
very cool...saw those images on the Christmas story board. I look off and on for some of the props like that but never too serious unless it's out of the holidays. I had bought a script years ago and gotten Bob Clark to sign before his death . Still need a couple of the cast but don't really want to fight the holiday crowd..lol

several years ago I tracks Robert Taunbaum ( sp) down to sign my original poster..great artist for sure.

Who made the tank..that is one I would like to find..

very cool...saw those images on the Christmas story board. I look off and on for some of the props like that but never too serious unless it's out of the holidays. I had bought a script years ago and gotten Bob Clark to sign before his death . Still need a couple of the cast but don't really want to fight the holiday crowd..lol
I was saddened when he and his son were killed in that accident. Great man.
several years ago I tracks Robert Taunbaum ( sp) down to sign my original poster..great artist for sure.
I would love to do that. Any info you could provide on him?

Who made the tank..that is one I would like to find..
It is a Marx. They are hard to find in good condition (and very expensive if you do). There were also two different styles which varied slightly, around the front of the tank. This one is the screen-accurate version.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back