Firefly, new additions, Zoe, Jayne and Mal, lots of pics

Does Jayne's knife have the "Liberty or Death" motto and logo on it, like the Liberty Bowie described in the FF companion? I read somewhere that Baldwin once commented that there were no markings of any kind on the knife.

you know its the exact same knife thats in the companion book right.

Jayne's knife is an off the shelf item isnt it?
That's always been something I have questioned because my Liberty knife and all the photos I have seen of other peoples' don't really match screen shots of the hero knife. The hero knife looks longer and the "notches" on the back edge seem to be in different places (matching the longer assumption).

you know its the exact same knife thats in the companion book right.
Unless I am missing something, the only photos of Jayne's knife in the companion book are of the stunt knife, which, as I mentioned, seems to show the same differences mentioned above. Since you have the hero knife, this could finally be put to rest. ;)

dr_slurpee,

seems ive shared too much info about the knife. The owner of it would rather not share any info at this time. Maybe sooner than later, just not at the moment.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that the stunt knife was molded off of the hero. Given that, and given that the stunt knife appears in the visual companion, I have to say that my Liberty Bowie lines up pretty well with the stunt knife in proportion and notch placement.

That's about all I can safely say as I don't have any photos of the hero to compare to.

But it's also my understanding that the Hero is an off the shelf Liberty Bowie and so any Liberty Bowie should fit the bill, unless for whatever reason there were different notch placements on different runs of the Liberty Bowies.

Just my small bit of information that I can verify.

Is the Mare's Leg a none functioning firearm?
I've always loved how that type of rifle looked ever since I saw the one on The Rifleman.

Here is a working firearm.
I always thought that it would be an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) but this one is classified a pistol.

NICE!

http://maresleg.com/maresleg.htm

Scot

Goodwolf,
its my understanding that Jaynes hero knife is an older model where they were retooled and re-released as what you have and are still for sale.

Zoe's Mare's Leg was fully functional in the tv series as it had been a prieviously used item in various other films and tv shows.

After comparing a photo of my knife and a scan of the stunt knife, they are the same length. However, as Rob just mentioned, there are differences from being retooled.

knife-compare.jpg

Rob, you should cast the hero knife and offer up some stunt knives. ;)

The main issue of molding and casting knives in "user friendly" rubber is the cost. I doubt enough people would be intersted in paying double the cost of an off the shelf item to get it in rubber. Knives are notoriously difficult to cast in rubber. It took me lots of trial and error to master and thats on someone elses dime.

If you guys have never molded and cast anything, there are small starter kits out there that sell enough silicone and resin to do the handle. Could be a great starter project to learn with.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back