Is there a market for concept props?

It's the emotional attachment; that link between the film, it's characters and that particular prop that completes the sentimental connection that translates into a need to have a given piece on one's shelf.

Interesting summary of why props are bought in the first place, but even there there's the last thing missing, and coincidentially, the most important in movies: THE STORY. Props have a story.

Still what about what I mentioned:"concept art of props that never made it into the movies", even though those didn't appear on film, they still have a story, albeit a smaller one.

I'm a person obsessed with Star Wars.

I read the books. I buy the toys. I build/buy the props, wear the costumes, watch the movies, do the research and absorb all things Star Wars.

At this point, I own about 30 lightsabers. All of them are replicas of movie, seen-on-screen sabers.

In 10 years in the hobby I've easily seen over 150 custom, imagined, concept, and 'personal' sabers. I think I'd might have dropped the $250-$400 for one of those sabers.

I want the props from the movies. Same with Harry Potter wands, Star Trek Phasers, etc.

But, that's just one guys opinion.

Preach what? Artistic integrity and doing it all for 'the art' has nothing at all to do with the OP's question.
A question was asked regarding the viability of concept props; not why one might make them.

Of course people can, should and will make whatever they like, but when you're looking to build a client base around it, you're not going to get far with concept props.

More to what you seem to be implying though. Are you suggesting that a prop maker should not or it's somehow in poor form for a prop maker to profit from the sweat of their own brow?

-Rylo

Case in point. :thumbsup

I'm a person obsessed with Star Wars.

I read the books. I buy the toys. I build/buy the props, wear the costumes, watch the movies, do the research and absorb all things Star Wars.

At this point, I own about 30 lightsabers. All of them are replicas of movie, seen-on-screen sabers.

In 10 years in the hobby I've easily seen over 150 custom, imagined, concept, and 'personal' sabers. I think I'd might have dropped the $250-$400 for one of those sabers.

I want the props from the movies. Same with Harry Potter wands, Star Trek Phasers, etc.

But, that's just one guys opinion.

Preach what? Artistic integrity and doing it all for 'the art' has nothing at all to do with the OP's question.
A question was asked regarding the viability of concept props; not why one might make them.

Of course people can, should and will make whatever they like, but when you're looking to build a client base around it, you're not going to get far with concept props.

More to what you seem to be implying though. Are you suggesting that a prop maker should not or it's somehow in poor form for a prop maker to profit from the sweat of their own brow?

Uh. I think you're ready a little too much in to a single word reply.

But to clarify what my implications were, exactly, is that I consider myself an artist far more than an entrepreneur, and in general have no real interest in turning a profit from my hobby. Like, at all. As long as I make something that I am in love with, then I'm perfectly happy. I also agree with pretty much everything PotionMistress said, and I don't feel the need to quote a 6 paragraph post and vertically poison the thread just to say "this". The same reason that I edit out people who manually put a signature in their posts when I quote them (which, by the way, why do people do that? There is a signature option built into the forum that does it for you).

People can make whatever props they want for whatever reasons they want, and it literally makes no difference to my life. My suggestion to FLM Concepts , and again what I think PotionMistress was getting at, is to simply make something you enjoy making and worry about the rest later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I have to agree with Rylo, I really started out doing my own props (The Beldorn Blaster ETC.)

See: RacProps Issue 7 - This is your Life, A Personal History Richard A. Coyle and here are a few of those old Beldorn Blasters at work:

RacProps Issue 7 - This is your Life, A Personal History Richard A. Coyle

Things went slowly..but I was selling out at first to the older fandom for cosplaying games at cons, (war games) and for fans whom were doing costumes for the masquerade. I was only able to build a small number of models, and wondered how well I would do if I could make more..

Sales dropped off and more and more I was asked to make copies of "real props".

The one thing that did work out was my original props were bought by a prop shop and a few were rented and got into real TV shows and films.

These were my ticket into making props for real. BUT The truth is it was really more my being able to do electronics in the 80s that gave me my career, I often "got the Job" for the model after I got the job to make it light up and do things....

For the 80s and 90s a prop with lights (and sound at cons) was often known as a "Coylized" prop.

Even with my rep, a few years ago I offered a concept Phaser that I had shown to Paramount here and on another site.

I was only seeking 10 orders.

I did not get them.

I have also seen a few frustrated prop makers who did a rethink of such things as Classic Phaers, and others cry why will no one buy...

I really hope both of us are wrong, and would say, Build what you what to have for your self.

Enjoy building them.

Offer them to others, and see what happens.

BUT At this time I cannot even sell "real props" like Logan's Run, Battlestar Galatica, The 6th Day, The Hidden, Timecop, Forbidden Planet and others.

Models that I have done over the 35 years I have been doing props.

Don't put your life savings into this...

I really hope you do alright, but felt you really needed this story and warning.

Rich

I guess it depends what you're looking to accomplish. Making your own custom props to sell will not make you independantly wealthy. What I meant was that you can do something you love and sell the occassional one on the side. A lot of times people buying original concepts are, as Coyle said, making low budget movies or fan films.

I, personally, do this as a hobby. I make what I want, and occassionally sell something. It is very hard to make a buisness out of this hobby, and if you become too successful at reproducing screen used props the big companies will shut you down. I agree with Coyle that I wouldn't quit my job and put my life savings into a prop making buisness. If you can make some money on the side doing something you love, I think that should count for something. I wish you luck, whatever you choose.

Thank you all for your replies, especially those with experience in this. I value your opinions and first-hand knowledge.

I'm not trying to make a living right away. I'm not quitting my day job immediately (wait, I don't have a day job), but I would like to get as much experience in this as possible, to hopefully make it one day in this industry.

Other than one prop I have in mind, which is a direct copy of an existing and popular prop, mine will be ideas either from my own head or others, on commission. I want to make them for me, but if others want them as well, all the better.

As to making money with my art, well, we all need to make money, and this is what I want to do for a living. Painters often sell prints of their paintings, but that doesn't devalue the original. We all pimp ourselves out so we can pay for food and housing and a few extras to make our lives better. Why not do it with something I love?

I should know better within a couple of weeks if people might be interested in my wares. That's when I should have this concept I'm working on right now molded and cast to show on this site.

Well here is more sad news:

Even back in the 80s there were too many prop makers.

True story: I was up for a possible job doing props for Star Trek the Next Gen.

I was asked if I belonged to the propmaker union, I say I wasn't and told I will have to join to get this job.

So I called asked about joining, and was told (words to this effect) that sorry they were not taking any new members as they had some 5000 card caring unemployed members.

But I said I have my own shop (which I did..) and they then said: "Come right on down and we will sign you right up" You see if I became a member I would then only be able to hire OTHER members to work in my shop..(Sadly at higher wages than my current workers got..and they would not be allow to join either...)

Well I did not get the job and so did not join.

And I had a lot stronger position than you and most do as in the 80s, I was someone that could make WORKING props, props that lighted up and LED displays and working numbers etc that were in high demand, THEN.

BUT going into the late 90s that fell off, check out "Minority Report", they started CGIing in the hand props, and thus got much more complex and real looking props.

So what I was doing in the 80s is so old hat and no longer wanted.

And as CGI took over the big time model makers whom used to build miniatures start taking prop jobs to make ends meet, so it got even worst.

And there is less special props used now a days, the classic phaser would be replaced by a 44 hand gun, look at Battlestar Galatica, they used off the shelf guns and other props, there was nothing for a prop maker to make.

There has hardly been any new TV shows/Movies with neat new props, other than Agents of Shield with a couple of props and the new special hand gun, which will most likely be licensed soon.

Even back in the late 80s I was telling people to go into make up and make up effects...

Sorry I hate to rain on your dreams..but I do not think it has improved any.

Rich

Thank you, Richard. No rain, just a little drizzle. ;)

Even if I can 't make a living with props, I have the tools and abilities I need to make my own, and as I keep saying, if others are interested in them, I'll be able to provide those to them. :)

We run a sign shop, first, but if I can make props, all the better. :)

Coming from the perspective of someone who, again, has no real interest in making any sort of money from making plastic space guns, I can only suggest that you make the sort of things that you yourself want to own. If there is a market for those things, it will find you. But I think if you go into it trying to find a business model from the get-go, you're probably going to wind up chasing fads more than anything else.

I said about the same earlier, build models that YOU want and enjoy.

Show them and if anyone wants to buy them you will hear from them.

I have been at it for over 35 years (OMG):eek and for the past six I have been looking for a way out, trying to find a way to work at home at the hours I do and still make a living..so far no luck.:(

Best of luck.

Remember have fun, that may be your only pay.

Rich

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back