Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

Great job!!

No offense to the MR owners but for such an expensive replica, paint job / weathering on the grenade portion is just terrible.

Thank you sir!
Yeah, it's funny, when I first got the MR version - ages ago when it first came out - I thought it was perfect. But now I know better. & yeah, it looks like junk.

well junk is a bit harsh lol I think the prop overall is great just the paint job on that grenade section could have been a lot better

I see its a signatures edition. thats awesome!

well junk is a bit harsh lol I think the prop overall is great just the paint job on that grenade section could have been a lot better

I see its a signatures edition. thats awesome!

Yeah, "junk" was a bit harsh. But the painted on "scratches" we're done a bit thick. & yes, it is the signature edition, which kinda makes up for all the painted scratches. & this is one of the few times it's been out of its case. :lol

here are my two humble attempts. One of them as you already know is finished as the traditional V2 and the other one is the props original form as the Obi Wan spinning blade stunt. I cant remember what forum member I stole the idea from but I could have picked a better way to finish my second Starkiller hilt. The red plastic cover should be on a toggle switch but I still havent found the right one, so I'm using a bolt as a place holder covered wit a red toggle switch cover.

DSC_1387.jpg DSC_1388.jpg DSC_1391.jpg DSC_1392.jpg

DSC_1394.jpg DSC_1393.jpg

Awesome job Juan! I love the "before and after" display with the two versions.

One thought... and I may be totally wrong. But if the ROTJ V2 is the same saber as the Obi-wan stunt from ANH and there's black paint chipping off of the emitter plate on the V2, wouldn't that mean the Obi-Wan version should have a black emitter plate? I haven't studied that prop enough to know what it looked like, so I'm just asking.

I've thought about painting the emitter area, but I'm just not sure how much of it is supposed to be black. Also knew about the cable but for some reason I prefer the look of the mystery chunk. Although I have though about trying to find a close to accurate cable to insert in there.

any information as to how much I should paint of the emitter and the type of cable used would be hugely appreciated :D

As far as I know, the emitter face should just be black (barring the nipple). There is some debate whether it was just black or if it were more closely painted to resemble the hero Obi hilt, I.E. - a dirty, gray color for the emitter, black on the grenade section, and dirty-brass on the neck.

Personally, I lean towards the latter, with some exception, and both the V2 and Stunt looked exactly the same at one point pre-sequels and made to look a lot like the hero saber. Again, that's just preference. As far as the black wire, a part of me feels that it's two wires wrapped in electrical tape, but that's just me.

I think in the shot of Luke with the wire going up his sleeve you can see it's two wires. Makes sense, there was so little room inside the sabers for the motors that the were probably just straight connected to a positive and negative power supply.

Well alright, I had been putting this off for a bit but you guys convinced me. So I've pulled the mystery chunk and found some wire to use as a place holder while I do some more research. I'm finding images of double gray cables as well. Either way here is a crapy shot of the place holders for now.
c1d9d96a31307a05897c6b3ae0b7e9d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well alright, I had been putting this off for a bit but you guys convinced me. So I've pulled the mystery chunk and found some wire to use as a place holder while I do some more research. I'm finding images of double gray cables as well. Either way here is a crapy shot of the place holders for now. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/c1d9d96a31307a05897c6b3ae0b7e9d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I wish there'd be another run of these lightsabers. I wanna build one of these!

1124357244270113_1456752923862642383_n_zpsw0qgfo19.jpg

Ben%20vs%20Darth%20ANH_zpsxmmzon1w.jpg

OB1%20Shared%20Stunt%20Clamp_zpsbot4efcy.jpg

obi2_zps87c5b427.jpg

It is said that Alec Guinness guided the speed of the rotating emitter + fx rod with his thumb and forefinger by squeezing them tighter together and/or loosening them ... I also think the windvane, and perhaps even the 'grenade' section, is more brownish than all black ... see my attached pictures for all OB1 stunt reference vs. all the nice V2's :)

Chaim

Thanks for all the useful information you guys! I'm glad to see this spark some interest in this particular saber.

Well here is what I was able to do today after looking at the images provided and a few other I found online. I agree that you can see some sort of a brown-ish tone on the neck and windvane. However because it is still not clear to me I am gonna leave it all black. I did finish painting the emitter, leaving the nipple alone. This realy gave the piece a more finished look that it was missing. Also I switched the cable for two strands of gray cable and used black electrical tape to hold them together. I do see more pictures of the gray colored cables on the original prop so I'm guessing at some point they decided to tape the cables, giving it the black braided look we spot in other pictures . I went for a more subtle approach with the tape and do enjoy seeing the light gray, as it gives the piece a bit more contrast.
DSC_1398.jpg DSC_1400.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

the one thing that is obviously left for me to swap out is the clamp lever. does any one know where to find the straighter Obi Wan style lever, instead of the V2 curved?

Are there any clear pictures of the clamp and lever. I would like to know which lever was on the clamp. I think it is likely that there still was the real Graflex lever in place or am I wrong?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back