My Blade Runner collection (NEW: Deckard's sawfish rostrum)

Re: My Blade Runner collection (NEW RAC-props kit!)

Thanks guys...to polish this kit that it looks like stainless steel is a work for days.Really hard work.

I poliseshed the parts with fine wet sandpaper and steelwool later(Steelwool not wet because it gets rusty very fast).With the sandpaper I worked in a big bowl of water because its easyer to wash it every workstep to show how it worked.

But you must be very careful that you don´t remove the fine markings on the receiver.If you sanded a little bit too much you can scratch the details a little bit deeper back in the material with the tip of a compass.

I worked halogenlights that you can really see the smallest artifacts in the surface.At the end work with steelwool from the front to the back and back.So you have a great and realistic surface pattern.
Work slow with not too much pressure.

I think it was worth all the work...but I would not do it again.:lol

Last edited:

Thank you very much for posting the instructions - the result speaks for it self! :thumbsup

Thanks guys...to polish this kit that it looks like stainless steel is a work for days.Really hard work.

I poliseshed the parts with fine wet sandpaper and steelwool later(Steelwool not wet because it gets rusty very fast).With the sandpaper I worked in a big bowl of water because its easyer to wash it every workstep to show how it worked.

But you must be very careful that you don´t remove the fine markings on the receiver.If you sanded a little bit too much you can scratch the details a little bit deeper back in the material with the tip of a compass.

I worked halogenlights that you can really see the smallest artifacts in the surface.At the end work with steelwool from the front to the back and back.So you have a great and realistic surface pattern.
Work slow with not too much pressure.

I think it was worth all the work...but I would not do it again.:lol

No problem.Oh and when you have some very big/deep artifacts in the surface(that I had) you can sand (only on this point) with rawer sandpaper but after that go back to the fine and polish it like before.

So..now you you everything!:lol

There's a tiny little hole on the receiver of the kit I'm building.... what's the best way to fill it up?

I can't get the damn solder to stick in the hole... any tricks?

I suspect my solder iron doesn't get hot enough, it's only 15W...

Any ideas?

I've been using a standard, cheap solder containing flux...

receiver.JPG

There's a tiny little hole on the receiver of the kit I'm building.... what's the best way to fill it up?
I can't get the damn solder to stick in the hole... any tricks?
I suspect my solder iron doesn't get hot enough, it's only 15W...
Any ideas?

If this was on mine I would leave it because it then gives me an excuse to describe it to people with reference to a particular scene in the movie such as 'damage caused when Leon knocks the gun from Deckard's hand in the market square', or 'damage from when Roy knocks the gun from Deckard's hand in the roof of the Bradbury' (I like to be able to reference a replica to a specific scene or point in time because it adds to 'the story' of the prop).

But I see above that you're going for an as-issued look so ignore everything I just said, I just like weathered guns.

Have you asked Rich Coyle?

Last edited:
Re: My Blade Runner collection (Solder advice needed!)

Hi guys! Thanks for chiming in...

Yes, I got in touch with Mr Coyle and discussed how to fix the hole.. pretty simple really, just never heard of the technique before... basically you melt a tiny bit of pewter down in the hole using a flux and a mini torch... sounded a bit scary at first because you have to heat the receiver itself to get the metal to melt together.. but I tried it a few times on some pewter scraps so I'm optimistic! Rich is sending me some of the exact metal type so the fix won't be visible. He is as mentioned a good and helpful guy!

@ User1402: I definetly have a thing for weathered blasters as well! Last one I build looked pretty beat up at the end... so this time I'm going for a more clean look :D

A picture of today's work... test fitting the slotted screw and binding post!

Update.jpg

Last edited:

Getting there Anders and yes, I love that slotted screw: more screen accurate!

Getting there Anders and yes, I love that slotted screw: more screen accurate!

No doubt in my mind that I had to go with the slotted screw on this one! The screw is from a Tomenosuke and the biding post is real vintage... I'm pretty happy with the look!

Re: My Blade Runner collection

One of the things I have to tackle next are the markings on the receiver... especially the MOD SL part and the Steyr logo are unclear and almost disappeared during sanding... So I bought new letter punches and had a Steyr logo punch costum made to freshen up the markings :D I'll start by filling the remains of the old markings with new pewter....

FullSizeRender_2.jpgFullSizeRender_1.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

I need to do some filling on mine as well so will be good to hear exactly how you did it.

I need to do some filling on mine as well so will be good to hear exactly how you did it.

I'll post some pictures when I get to it!

You'll need the same kind of metal and a flux to keep it clean and bind properly when you melt it in place...

That is a hell of a collection! Great presentation, it feels very Blade Runner in aesthetic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back