mpp

That's ESB. Belt boxes and gloves, helmet and part of the chest box gives it away

Thanks! I'm not as familiar with the details of Vader's costume (although the glossy helmet should have been the dead giveaway d'oh!), and now I do discern the wires coming out of the sync ports near the shroud, so ESB it definitely is.

how do the master replica MPP's compare to a real one? not even worth modding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately my MR is in my Detwolf under its display case and would be a real pain in the ass to take out to do a comparison shot. But, here's my two-step shroud in sunlight:

987548EE-9AA2-49B5-A3E7-5C925EC5355B_zpsl8lkblwb.jpg

25048975-E506-42F1-98C7-B463006326CF_zps4btfbe71.jpg

Why are the MR sabers so much? When these are compared to original parts, they are off. It seems the true replica parts made exact to the originals like Romans should be the more expensive. I guess it's the COA and limited availability, but still

kurtyboy Ask Roy at wannawanga or via PM ... I made him search for the better accurate Vader D-ring than the one he uses for Luke ANH/OB1 ... he may have some spares left.

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are the MR sabers so much? When these are compared to original parts, they are off. It seems the true replica parts made exact to the originals like Romans should be the more expensive. I guess it's the COA and limited availability, but still

There are collectors out there that only buy licensed goods. I have a buddy that's like that; he'll pay a premium for something that has the "Lucasfilm" trademark on it that might not be 100% accurate vs. the fan-made product that is because it is "official".

Case in point, I could probably sell my MR weathered Obi lightsaber right now either on eBay or here on he junkyard for at least 2 times - if not 3 times - what it would cost for a Roman's saber even though Roman's saber is as close to the real thing you can get in terms of accuracy.

You have to remember that we're really a niche market; most Star Wars fans don't even know the RPF exists let alone Roman. For them, "close enough" is good enough...

And he found them? I wonder why he doesn't offer them on his site. @roygilsing?

I HAD them; I offered them in my shrouds. They are a little smaller than the other D-ring. But unfortunately I ran out and haven't been able to get new ones yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are collectors out there that only buy licensed goods. I have a buddy that's like that; he'll pay a premium for something that has the "Lucasfilm" trademark on it that might not be 100% accurate vs. the fan-made product that is because it is "official".

Case in point, I could probably sell my MR weathered Obi lightsaber right now either on eBay or here on he junkyard for at least 2 times - if not 3 times - what it would cost for a Roman's saber even though Roman's saber is as close to the real thing you can get in terms of accuracy.

You have to remember that we're really a niche market; most Star Wars fans don't even know the RPF exists let alone Roman. For them, "close enough" is good enough...

Exactly. Some of the licensed collectors won't even look at the accurate stuff, which we, the "rivet counters", are interested in buying. They are happy with their licensed stuff, with a nice edition plaque, shiny display case, and COAs. They want to play safe, and to be sure what they own holds value for resale. They are not even slightly interested in the idea of researching for a more accurate prop, or how that screen used prop was made in the first place.

They might even consider the unlicensed stuff inferior, due to the lack of those shiny trinkets listed above. If you show them a good accurate fan made helmet, a nice blaster/lightsaber/prop made with original parts, or a true studio scale they simply don't connect with them the same we do.

All this fine by me. More good stuff to remain to the people who care about them

Exactly. Some of the licensed collectors won't even look at the accurate stuff, which we, the "rivet counters", are interested in buying. They are happy with their licensed stuff, with a nice edition plaque, shiny display case, and COAs. They want to play safe, and to be sure what they own holds value for resale. They are not even slightly interested in the idea of researching for a more accurate prop, or how that screen used prop was made in the first place.

They might even consider the unlicensed stuff inferior, due to the lack of those shiny trinkets listed above. If you show them a good accurate fan made helmet, a nice blaster/lightsaber/prop made with original parts, or a true studio scale they simply don't connect with them the same we do.

All this fine by me. More good stuff to remain to the people who care about them

Had a friend like this, except, for costumes. He was always interested in joining the 501st but didn't "understand" why the licensed, mass-produced costumes weren't "approvable" in the Legion. His thought process is that the licensed products are "more official/star wars than fan-made armor" completely devaluing the concept of accuracy

Part of me wanted to believe he was just trolling me, but part of me knew he was quite serious about that too.

We need to remember that the licensed props (and many collectibles in general too) are made in China many times by uninterested and underpaid workers, who don't know, neither care, what is that thing they are working on. On the other side most of the fan made items, besides being more accurate, are made by true talented artists who really care about the items they make to every minute detail, and even put a part of their soul in each of those props/collectibles they create.

We need to remember that the licensed props (and many collectibles in general too) are made in China many times by uninterested and underpaid workers, who don't know, neither care, what is that thing they are working on. On the other side most of the fan made items, besides being more accurate, are made by true talented artists who really care about the items they make to every minute detail, and even put a part of their soul in each of those props/collectibles they create.

Without a doubt. There are just people who never will comprehend that part of it.

Do you have a nifty blueprint with the D-ring's dimensions you can share so we all know what to look for and can keep our eyes peeled?

This is the D-ring I'd recommend for Vader's MPP based lightsaber ... it's 2 mm in diameter and just a little more subtle than Luke's ESB D that goes into his Kobold clamp-clip :

Just so you are aware . . . I don't claim the above pictured size to be absolutely screen-accurate . . . for those measurements I gladly step aside for Mr. Kurtyboy :wacko

Chaim

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back