Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

I'm assuming the 10 inch star is more film accurate on the sled build than the 8 inch star? If so, how do you make a template with standard a4 printing paper?

For the star I grabbed Valor's picture off this thread, thanks again by the way, and then ran it through microsoft word and used the margin rulers to guestimate the size, looking for a 5" radius from a tip to the star's center. when full size one of the points will be off the paper, but with a good ruler and pencil it's an easy fix. and as for the citristrip- you really need to put on a thick coating, but once you do you shouldn't have to wait more than an hour and a half tops- 30 minutes usually covers it.

For the star I grabbed Valor's picture off this thread, thanks again by the way, and then ran it through microsoft word and used the margin rulers to guestimate the size, looking for a 5" radius from a tip to the star's center. when full size one of the points will be off the paper, but with a good ruler and pencil it's an easy fix. and as for the citristrip- you really need to put on a thick coating, but once you do you shouldn't have to wait more than an hour and a half tops- 30 minutes usually covers it.

Ok thanks, will .020 aluminum work or will it be too thin?

Not sure, I just grabbed a sheet from ACE, their selection is not exactly huge. But the star can be thin, as long a as it's sturdy enough to work with, since it sits on top and you don't want it to stick out too much.

Thanks again Valor, hmm I recall reading in the thread you cut the brackets using a jigsaw, what did you use to cut out the little openings on the braces for the leather straps? Dremel?

Drilled holes at the ends of the slot then used a jigsaw to connect them. FInished it with hand files.

Thanks again Valor, hmm I recall reading in the thread you cut the brackets using a jigsaw, what did you use to cut out the little openings on the braces for the leather straps? Dremel?

I have been around here to gather info to build my own shield, and see you turn that sled into a very nice one its something.

How did you do to make the cut even around the sled, and to make the effect of spun aluminum on it?

I have been around here to gather info to build my own shield, and see you turn that sled into a very nice one its something.

How did you do to make the cut even around the sled, and to make the effect of spun aluminum on it?

It's in the first post on this thread.

You can use essentially the same method to draw a line around the edge of the sled to trim it off with the jigsaw.

Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

Alright guys, thank you all so much for your interest and support of this project. Tonight I built the leather harness and attached it to the back of the finished shield. I bought an 84" piece of leather strap from the site below and it was exactly the amount I needed. Strapping this thing on my arm felt great. It's really comfortable and has a nice helt to it. And there is no indication that the brackets will ever come loose from the shield. So, in conclusion, while I did not track the cost to the penny, I believe I spent somewhere between $150-$200 for the finished product. Mission accomplished!

Here's my source for the leather:

Medium Brown English Bridle Leather Straps, 9-11 oz-Outfitters Supply

Same site had these super affordable buckles:
210 Conway Buckle-Outfitters Supply

How wide on the straps from Outfitters Supply? Thanks Valor!

Hey everyone, I'm Ryan. New to the forum, and just wanted to say how amazing the build on this is, Valor. The Captain is my favorite comic book character, and I've wanted his shield for quite a while, now. I've showed a bunch of my friends this thread, and they've also been very impressed. I'm still trying to scrounge up the funds for the parts, but once I acquire them, this is going to be my first project. So, I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you, Valor, for the inspiration and instructions, as well as everyone else who has contributed ideas and links.

Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

I've been dying to make a very accurate shield. I never wanted to do this method until now because I rely wanted the ridges but one idea i have is, what if you sculpt them with bondo, prime and then spray with the duplicolor, does that process sound like it could work? My only worries are that this paint is translucent to a degree, but is that the purpose of anodized paint?

Last edited:
Two concerns. First, like you mention, you will be covering the metal with bondo and primer, eliminating the ability for the transparent Duplicolor Metalcast to really work. Second, the thin sled has a fair amount of flex to it. I would worry about a layer of bondo simply cracking and flaking off as the shield bends and flexes.

Not having engraved rings is definitely a drawback with this method.

What exactly is the propose for the different based paints and do you rely need that transparent look? Chris Evans used fiberglass and rubber shields, so is there any way you can us a nontransparent paint but still get that anodized look?

The movie shields still used an aluminum veneer over the fiberglass, which was then painted. The translucent paint allows the metal to show through, giving the anodized look. The only way (I know of) to achieve the anodized look is translucent paint over metal.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back