greatest moments in TV

I still get kinda of weepy when I watch the Doctor Who episode "Vincent and The Doctor.

https://youtu.be/ubTJI_UphPk?t=1m2s

I was literally going to post this scene. As a creator, this episode speaks to me on so many levels, and this scene is just such a beautiful gift to those of us who fear that we're just shouting into the maelstrom and wonder if anyone will remember us or our creations when we're gone.

- - - Updated - - -

To me one of the best hours of TV ever done was the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Episode "The Body" Buffy finds her Mother Dead and how she and the rest of the characters deal with it is just a study in human psychology.

God, yes... this too. I saw that episode for the first time about 3 months after my mother died. It is, by far, the most honest portrayal of grief I've ever seen on the screen.

I have two more:

TOS Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World: The moment we see the Colonial Movers for the very first time in combination with the epic score still gives me the chills.

TNS BSG: The battle at the beginning of season 4 is one of the finest Gary & Co have created since DS9. Sooo cool!!! :)

God, yes... this too. I saw that episode for the first time about 3 months after my mother died. It is, by far, the most honest portrayal of grief I've ever seen on the screen.

It aired about six months after my own mother died. Did the episode help you like it helped me?

I remember an interview with Whedon where he talked about this episode. He deliberately chose to have no background music because music helps inform you how to feel about something. He wanted to show exactly how raw, numb, and out of sorts a person could be when faced with the death of a loved one, so he insisted on no music to help convey that. He wanted the audience to be as utterly uncomfortable as the characters would be, and it worked amazingly so.

The whole series is one of the greatest TV work of modern times, littered with great moments, but that moment was just insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
The televised landing on the moon in July, 1969... It still thrills me to think about it! It has to be one of the most memorable and iconic moments in TV history! Seeing that with Walter Cronkite's voice narrating the events as they happened will never be topped, IMO.

It aired about six months after my own mother died. Did the episode help you like it helped me?

I remember an interview with Whedon where he talked about this episode. He deliberately chose to have no background music because music helps inform you how to feel about something. He wanted to show exactly how raw, numb, and out of sorts a person could be when faced with the death of a loved one, so he insisted on no music to help convey that. He wanted the audience to be as utterly uncomfortable as the characters would be, and it worked amazingly so.

I do feel like it helped. The thing about grief, is even when you have other family members who are also suffering around you, it can still be very isolating and it very much feels like you're the only one in the world that feels this way. Seeing those emotions and conflicts externalized onto characters who are so capable, it was empowering in a way I didn't realize I needed.

we got lucky enough to attend this taping, totally at random :)
i remember reps from the REAL mayors office where lucky enough to get a set tour at the time.
MJF almost answered one of my questions from the audience, and had two huge ass bodyguards beside him when he was taking questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 34
That's the one I was thinking of too the look on his face when Sammy just randomly kissed him. I'm glad O'Connor stayed in character. So many great moments come from shows that never get broadcast because of crybabies. I remember on the Jeffersons and Sanford & Son there were 2 instances where they used the N word and nobody got enraged. Another great moment is when they killed Henry Blake on Mash. Another was an episode of Captain Power when they killed off a main character which was a shock for a kid's show (just look at the uproar over Optimus Prime dying in the 1986 movie).

NmNhYzBiYzc0MiMvZXZXVzd6M1ZuSEVKLUdTYU9kOExXb1VhWTJJPS8yOHgzMToyMTgweDEwOTUvOTAweDQ0NS9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvbGZodDEzZXQzdm16eWtia3kzd2Vla2NuajhhbXkxY252YjF3ZWQ1aDhneGl1Mm54bnV6YWptOW9rbmxkb2NzeS5qcGc.jpg

Never in my life, despite the many, many hours I've invested in TV/film etc had I imagined that I would feel so much emotion at a character changing their eyeline from one point behind the camera, to the camera. Chilling (in the context of the scene), brilliant, novel without being silly, meta, phenomenal.

I have no idea, so I will just leave this here:
giphy.gif

The televised landing on the moon in July, 1969... It still thrills me to think about it! It has to be one of the most memorable and iconic moments in TV history! Seeing that with Walter Cronkite's voice narrating the events as they happened will never be topped, IMO.

Yeah, but, you do realize that they filmed that in someone backyard, right?
Like, you could even see the strings, and where the set ended.

:p :lol

It might not be a big moment for tv, but I will never get tired of the time that SG1 destroyed an ori mothership in the episode "the Pegasus project". They had been losing all season long and they finally got a win

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The episode of news radio where they dealt with Phil Hartman's death

They did that with Suddenly Susan too when they lost an actor and wrote it that he went missing going to a concert and at the end the phone rings and they find out he died. I'd have to say was Sesame Street when Mr Hooper died when his actor died and they used to as a moment to explain things. I was four and only vaguely remember it.

They did that with Suddenly Susan too when they lost an actor and wrote it that he went missing going to a concert and at the end the phone rings and they find out he died. I'd have to say was Sesame Street when Mr Hooper died when his actor died and they used to as a moment to explain things. I was four and only vaguely remember it.
That Mr. Hooper moment was one the greats

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back