Luke ROTJ brass vs copper

I personally feel a polished bronze, which is somewhere between copper and brass in color, is most accurate.

And before anyone says, "but bronze is too dark," realize that most things we see nowadays in bronze from Wal-Mart, Lowe's, or Pier One is antiqued bronze, darkened to give it a sophisticated aged/vintage look. Polished bronze is only a bit darker than brass.
And bronze can range from an orangey hue to a more gold one depending the ratio of metals in the alloy. I play and sell drums for a living, and I've noticed that cheaper cymbals that have less tin are more orangey than the nicer cymbals with the higher tin content, which tend to be more on the gold end of the spectrum.

I wonder what this means for paint? I understand the original Yuma stunts were solid pieces, so they must have been painted?
LukeRealBlank2.jpgLukeRealBlank.jpg

I think it's a fairly safe bet to say they were painted. The reason why they went with new hilts based on the OWK, despite the script having the Emperor referencing how Luke's new saber looks "much like his father's", and painted it similarly is beyond me unless it was all a matter of keeping production costs low (working with what you've already got and making spares to match).

wow I've never seen this pic before!! I like the pommel with out the cubes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i forgot where I picked those images up - they're really cool I know!
It looks like MR made a v2 with dark copper paint on the neck and one with yellowish brass. Wut.

I have had a few people ask me about the Icons saber. Here are some better pictures for you reference.

Attachments

• ROTJ 1.JPG
    ROTJ 1.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 175
  • ROTJ 2.JPG
    ROTJ 2.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 139
If your neck is made of copper then you could coat the outside with tin, then heat it up and the two metals will fuse together making brass. I was thinking of doing this for another part that I had in copper that I wanted to be brass.

If your neck is made of copper then you could coat the outside with tin, then heat it up and the two metals will fuse together making brass. I was thinking of doing this for another part that I had in copper that I wanted to be brass.
Um... I'm certainly no metallurgist, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

I'm beginning to think the ROTJ Hero saber was re-decorated when the shared stunt became a copper necked saber.

The card is original, but I think the rails were painted copper. maybe the neck too, over what it used to be. I bumped up the saturation on this photo and ..well the card is brass. I feel like the idea was to have it match at first

hero box.jpg

I think all of this copper confusion started with the publication of From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives, which was a companion book to the exhibition that toured Japan starting in 1993. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was the first good look that we all got at the hero saber (as well as the shared stunt, and Vader stunt). Everyone thought, "oh look - that's copper," and that's what stuck in everyone's mind (plus the shared stunt neck clearly being copper didn't help matters).

6269358a123e11e6963bf23c910800e5.jpg

Well, not so fast... look at how drab the green triangle LED on the control box is - clearly something is "off" with that photo.

In 1997 the Smithsonian Institution launched the Magic of Myth exhibition - I believe this pic was from their website back around that time (that's a National Air and Space Museum watermark):

ROTJHero05.jpg

To me this looks like a much better-lit and better color-balanced photo - the green LED appears more bright and vibrant. And that neck looks like dirty brass-colored paint to me. And the rails look like the golden-brown of tarnished brass.

According to Jason DeBord this pic was taken at the Lucasfilm Archives sometime in 1996 or 1997:

Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpg

Again, that looks like brass-colored paint on the neck and tarnished brass rails.

I didn't even think of the LEDs, thats a good marker, thanks!

I also legit didnt know where those pics (first two) came from, is there anything else on this from the NASM?

Last edited:
is there anything else on this from the NASM?
Well that was 20 years ago, so I'm sure there wouldn't be anything about it there now.

Back then they probably wouldn't have had much of anything to say about it either - the exhibit was about the history and tradition of myths in storytelling, and how the Star Wars films tapped into that... it wasn't an exhibit about the history and construction techniques of the props and costumes (unfortunately :p).

The book that they put out back then only had two small photos of the hero - shown with the Obi-Wan costume (rusted tri-ring) - and a resin casting of the hero shown with the Luke ROTJ costume (shiny tri-ring). So in that respect the book was a bit of a letdown.

MOM Obi Wan.jpg MOM Luke.jpg

Lol well they got one thing right - Luke's saber was based on the grenade, balance pipe and sink knob that hung from that belt!

Correct, it would be chemically bound, but you would buy zinc powder and lye to do this. I was going to do this to turn a copper spacer for my ESB Han Hoth DL-44 to brass, but the cost of everything I needed to this was way more than just buying a piece of brass.

I thought I had a reasonably good idea of metals, but I never thought that would work. Thanks a lot for the video!

Making this work require a very thin layer of chemically bound zinc. I'm fairly sure just coating a copper part with zinc powder won't do.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back