ILM U-Wing

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Not sure if screen used, or...

15203246_1471953459484835_4076943966877166840_n.jpg

Sweet! I wonder if that was a reference model for a CGI version?

The whole reason (not sure if canon or not) for having an astromech is because small fighters don't need to dedicate space to a huge navicomputer. So a larger ship wouldn't need one because they have space I guess. That an A-Wing doesn't need an astromech seems to contradict that though.

It's got be a maquette, there is no where near enough detail for an actual filming miniature. I mean it's cool, but no cockpit detail, just blacked out windows? There is also very little surface detail. It's got to be reference for the CGI. That's what I think

It's got be a maquette, there is no where near enough detail for an actual filming miniature. I mean it's cool, but no cockpit detail, just blacked out windows? There is also very little surface detail. It's got to be reference for the CGI. That's what I think

This was an art department concept model, The reason it is unpainted and in primer is due to George Lucas signing it! The lack of cockpit detail was due to time restraints and I can tell you for a fact this model doesn't lack details up close.

Looks like they reused a old PT concept fighter, at least some important design elements. Made it bigger, made the rounded shape longer and with straight lines, but still recognizeable.

It seems like Lucasfilm (Rebels in particular) are looking back through a lot of concept stuff and adopting some elements that weren't used. They said they went through a LOT of concepts while designing the U-Wing so I'd think it would be hard for an artist not to be influenced by things they've seen.

It seems like Lucasfilm (Rebels in particular) are looking back through a lot of concept stuff and adopting some elements that weren't used. They said they went through a LOT of concepts while designing the U-Wing so I'd think it would be hard for an artist not to be influenced by things they've seen.

I think when you are designing a new ship to fit into an already existing and much-loved universe you have to look at what's come before. It has to feel like it fits in with the OT and to do that is a tough job, I personally feel things need to be designed outside of a computer in an analog way, kit-bash, simple models then passed on to the 3d artist to master, I hate the over-designed look of ships these days, I was the model maker who made this model by the way

I think when you are designing a new ship to fit into an already existing and much-loved universe you have to look at what's come before. It has to feel like it fits in with the OT and to do that is a tough job, I personally feel things need to be designed outside of a computer in an analog way, kit-bash, simple models then passed on to the 3d artist to master, I hate the over-designed look of ships these days, I was the model maker who made this model by the way

And you waited until the middle of the thread to say so? :lol I would have been telling everyone that hadn't told me to shut up yet! :)

And you waited until the middle of the thread to say so? :lol I would have been telling everyone that hadn't told me to shut up yet! :)

Ha ha ha

I am talking to people at ILM to get some better images when I do I will upload here, as there is a lot of details that you can see!.

I am looking forward to seeing people building their own studio scale versions

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back