The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Just finished another pair of custom Quill headphones. :cool

20141228_193445.jpg

20141228_193248.jpg

20141228_193722.jpg

Haha it seems the MDR-5A of yours have arrived. Awesome! By any chance they do work??

If so, do you mind if you can sharing the knoweledge of your wisdom, master...:lol

I couldn't find any MDR-5a's while in Japan, Tokyo. So sad :cry

Seems I will have to buy the set from Shapeways and assemble it too. I noticed you changed the adjusters to aluminum one to. All that's left is the MDR-5a's labels at the side and you got yourself a clean exact one that could be sold for 1,300$ dollar on eBay.

Haha that was the last one I found on eBay. :lol

Awesome job! Soulinertia :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, these are not actual MDR-5a. Just a pair of realistic vintage headphones which are relatively rare to start with that I've heavily modified. They are by no means an exact match to the real deal Sony. They do work and they sound great for this style of headphone, especially considering they are 20-30 years old. The only piece that is 3D printed is the black part I attached to the headband which I printed myself.

So, I've seen people working on Spats/boots for their costumes, and I've seen Project Runs for every one of Peter Quill's accessories, but I have to see one for the boots or more importantly the spats, has anyone seen anyone doing runs on those?

I just ordered 70 square feet of distressed brown/tan leather from Italy. (I'll be adding just a tinge of red with an airbrush and dye to match the on-screen color grading and shifting tones.) I just hope my machine is up to the task. Sewing a couple arms for the short jacket is one thing, but this will be a bit of a challenge for it...

I just ordered 70 square feet of distressed brown/tan leather from Italy. (I'll be adding just a tinge of red with an airbrush and dye to match the on-screen color grading and shifting tones.) I just hope my machine is up to the task. Sewing a couple arms for the short jacket is one thing, but this will be a bit of a challenge for it...

I'd love to watch your progress on that! How much experience do you have with patterning, forming, and stitching leather?

I'd love to watch your progress on that! How much experience do you have with patterning, forming, and stitching leather?

I'll be doing some form of documentation of the build but I might not post it all until after it's done. (I've documented my scratch-builds of the short jacket and pants as well but have held off on posting too much about them due to all the ongoing Star Lord threads. It's easy for them all to drown out each other, haha.)

As for pattern-making; I've made a few suits, blazers and other things over the last 20 years. (Prop-wise I've done a Trek DS9 uniform, Hellboy's trench, Johann Kraus's suit and a bunch of other stuff. The trenchcoat isn't all that difficult pattern-wise; it just has a lot of panels to sew and surface stitching that makes it look complicated. It doesn't even appear to have lining! (I absolutely hate doing lining. It's fiddly, you almost never see it and if you don't get it close to perfect it affects the whole garment.) The embossing shouldn't be harder to do than on the short jacket; there's just more of it. My main worry, even with thin leather, is that it'll be hard on the machine, even with proper leather needles and all.

Hi guys, the harbor frieght ones have no finger covers, they have another set but the base color is black fabric about 11.99. I too a pic of those i'll post righ now.

btw great job. What was the base glove you use? You almost got me on the sticking. Looks convincing. Glad you added the top parts

these are the ones at harbor freight. Im make some for fun i may use the yellow deer skin basic gloves and a set of champion fabric gloves and sew them together.

i was having some fun on some old deer skin gloves and a sharpie. Sorry about the skewed phot not sure why that is happening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone still looking for the Sketcher Diameter shoes, a bunch of them are on sale on Amazon right now. Still cost around $40-$50, but that's a bit better than the $65-$75 they normally cost.

The skechers seem to go on sale pretty regularly.

I've seen them priced at that at least twice since the movie came out.

I bought skechers - then realized the movie only used the soles......so went with a boot with a similar sole - but which will accomodate spat attachment.
1914842-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

For the gloves - I am using these:

10835348_10205341597318798_6654164095477149606_o.jpg

Attachments

• 10887643_10205389339272317_4500740558270142833_o.jpg
    10887643_10205389339272317_4500740558270142833_o.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 188

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back