Risu's Star Lord build

Soulinertia, I got the Makergear M2 3D printer. They have real good support and supportive forum. I really haven't seen any bad reviews on it plus it's a solid looking printer. I did get there kit version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on two things besides general cleanup on the helmet while I wait for my electronics bits to come in. First, I downloaded Google Sketchup and made new eye sockets for the helmet. The tolerances were very tight on the existing helmet, so to avoid potentially ruining it while attempting to properly hollow it out, I just made entirely new eyes that I can pop in from the back after removing the current ones. I've uploaded them to Shapeways to display the design better than a single photo could.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2903300/star-lord-eye-socket.html?materialId=25

I haven't marked them up at all, I just want them to be available.

And the other thing I worked on for quite a while today was making an extended version of the Awesome Mix volume 1. I made it to fit the full 90 minute run time of the accurate tape, which fits what Chris Pratt said of the tape given to him by James Gunn as well. i removed Ain't No Mountain High Enough and I Want You Back, as those both belong (with reasonable certainty) on Awesome Mix volume 2. And I added a bunch of songs. Wichita Lineman, Magic, Livin' Thing, and Mama Told Me Not To Come all come from interviews and deleted scenes as intended to be on the soundtrack but removed for various reasons. And the rest I just felt like adding, although I do think they're each relevant to the theme of the tape with the exception of the Queen song, which is my Cherry Bomb. It makes no sense and shouldn't be there, but I like the song.

Side A:
Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me (Not to Come)
The Raspberries - Go All the Way
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - American Girl
Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
Elvin Bishop - Fooled Around and Fell In Love
The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
The Five Stairsteps - O-O-H Child
Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light
10cc - I'm Not in Love

Side B
Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
ELO - Livin' Thing
David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
Elton John - Rocket Man
Pilot - Magic
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Seals and Croft - Summer Breeze
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia

Last edited:
After listening to side b, I've decided to change Mr. Blue Sky back to Livin' Thing. Mr. Blue Sky just didn't sound right with the other tracks.

I've gone through 3 different CD/tape players now and haven't been able to record the tape. The first one was one I had sitting around since I was a kid, the tape deck portion of it was inoperable. The second I got fro ma thrift store after very minimal run testing. Turns out it could record, but you couldn't fast forward or rewind. And the third one I got from a guy on Craigslist and despite testing all the functionality I could before taking it, turns out it doesn't actually record anything. The technology isn't that old, it's kind of mind-boggling how poorly these things were made.

After listening to side b, I've decided to change Mr. Blue Sky back to Livin' Thing. Mr. Blue Sky just didn't sound right with the other tracks.

I've gone through 3 different CD/tape players now and haven't been able to record the tape. The first one was one I had sitting around since I was a kid, the tape deck portion of it was inoperable. The second I got fro ma thrift store after very minimal run testing. Turns out it could record, but you couldn't fast forward or rewind. And the third one I got from a guy on Craigslist and despite testing all the functionality I could before taking it, turns out it doesn't actually record anything. The technology isn't that old, it's kind of mind-boggling how poorly these things were made.

I had a similar problem when making up a tape. I ended up finding a small RCA dual tape deck/radio that had only one of its decks functional. I managed to wire into the line-in, and hooked it directly to my computer...but that was the 4th or 5th device I tried.

Good luck! You will likely need to get creative.

-Nick

OK, my LEDs came in today and I 3D printed an eye socket. I need to make some changes, including getting the lighter blue acrylic and changing the shape and sizing of the recessed area inside the eye socket to hide the LED better and sandwich the lenses together more closely around the LEDs. But here's how they look right now.

And here's what it's like looking through them with the lights on. FYI, the power supply has all kinds of red LED numbers displaying on it, you just can't see them at all, completely invisible.

It's a stock blue tinted clear acrylic. I'm actually debating whether or not I want to use the lighter blue. Every reference picture I have of the helmet with the lights off, it looks like this shade, not the light blue.

Risu, how did you make the lenses for your helmet? I'm working with the same model as you. Should I just buy some sunglasses or what?

It's mostly here in the thread. The lenses themselves are laser cut and engraved. I'll have more details once I get them fully figured out. I'm doing some more laser cutting on Thursday, so I'm going to cut and engrave a few more pieces to perfect the effect.

Oh, and I tested today, edge lighting a piece of acrylic ruins the effect, they're definitely not edge lit.

OK, so here's the final draft of the eye socket. I switched the engraving around a bit and made everything fit together better, and now it's perfect.

Anyway, keep an eye out for a thread in the project runs forum this weekend, where I'll be offering kits.

Beautiful! Did you end up staying with the darker blue or switching to the lighter one? How deep is the whole assembly?

I kept the darker blue. The eye socket model is a little under an inch deep total, but the lenses don't take up all that space, that's because the eye sockets in the MDuckett helmet are at a bit of an angle and I didn't want any gaps. From the front of the socket to the back of the blue lens is about 9/16".

The helmet is progressing slowly, and the eye socket run will have to wait a week while I sort out a couple things with my 3D printer and try to wrap up some of the easier props before my Guardians party this weekend. Here's the Tony Youngblood orb, after 4 heavy coats of filler primer.

The insides are painted with Krylon oil rubbed bronze and old gold rub n buff. After a final coat of black Krylon primer tomorrow night, I'll paint the outsides with satin black, then use silver rub n buff. Once my magnets come in, i can stick the whole thing together.

I haven't printed my TY orb yet. Happy to see how well the stone fits inside :thumbsup

Did you have to make any special modifications to get it to fit?

now all you need to do is print out the claw separator thingy........crap i forgot who made it already........(facepalm)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back