Bandai Y-Wing - Finished!

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ive started on a few fun 1/72 builds. Im on the Y Wing currently and i'm not sure what base color to do because of the smaller scale. Ive scoured the site and I see a few colors mentioned but it would really help to hear thoughts on what you all used.

Greys?
Whites?

Last edited:
Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Base color question

How about keeping the kit's color, keep it unpainted? My experience with the Bandai kits is that the color is spot on. My X-wing was kept with its original color.

32022048776_faa9ab7da4_z.jpg
IMG_5123 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

31251629173_f66331baf5_z.jpg
IMG_5154 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

nice job on your X Wing. That's the 1/48 I believe? The poured colors and finish on the 1/72 Y look off to me so I'm going to paint all colors.

I used Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White on mine for the body and white for the L'eggs cones.

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9056.jpg

SB

if you're going to film it in front of a bluescreen, pick a grey to minimize blue light spill. insert winking emoji/ smilie here.
after many generations of rephotographing through optical printers and finally getting to a final image at the end of the process, grey values will wash out making it appear white.

Last edited:

I used Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White on mine for the body and white for the L'eggs cones.

I used the same for mine. Tamiya AS-20 straight from the rattle cans is a near dead on match to the actual plastic color of Bandai X-wings and Y-wings. I skipped primer since I wanted as thin a coat of paint as possible and it was really hard to tell where I actually sprayed the color on

For the Y-wing I used Army Painter white primer for just the cone parts on the engines and the head. I used the Insignia white everywhere else

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=270363&p=4156365&viewfull=1#post4156365

I went the Tamiya AS-20 route as well on the Y Wing. Turns out a bit bright to begin with, but dulls down nicely once the weathering is applied.

Although the last few Bandai ship kits I've completed, I've left unpainted and just applied weathering over the top of the raw model. Just as nice IMO.

Y%20wing%20r%20mod_zpsnvzipmil.jpg

I went the Tamiya AS-20 route as well on the Y Wing. Turns out a bit bright to begin with, but dulls down nicely once the weathering is applied.

Although the last few Bandai ship kits I've completed, I've left unpainted and just applied weathering over the top of the raw model. Just as nice IMO.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/S4Simon/Star Wars/Y wing r mod_zpsnvzipmil.jpg

Is this one with base coat or un painted? Im guessing un painted because of the slight sheen?

Foe some reason I decided I wanted a lot of contrast on mine, between the cockpit/eggs and the exposed frame. I went with AS20 for the lighter parts, like a lot of other people, but then I used AS16 for the frame. AS20 is like the go-to tamiya star wars color though. Heres a pic from before weathering.

20160911_163415.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, black primer was used on the whole model.

I went with the grey airbrush primer from Vallejo for all my rebel stuff. Looks pretty good. After all the filters and washes it does not really matter imho.IMG_20170123_210842307[1].jpgIMG_20170123_210903081[1].jpgIMG_20170123_210931639[1].jpgIMG_20170123_210941701[1].jpg

Tamiya AS20 is a good choice for color but I don't like using paint bombs on my tiny 1/72 models.

I just mix my own with Tamiya acrylics. About 5 parts white to 1 part deck tan.

00403dcbf94d3b0e2280797646db29c9.jpg

After a wash snd some dirtying up, it looks the part:

bf0cbd2cda5cdf8dd0a9f20c0c16cf94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't feel like I've ever had any trouble with tamiya obscuring detail at any scale when spraying from a can, as long as I'm very careful. But maybe I've had it happen and just didn't notice.

Is this one with base coat or un painted? Im guessing un painted because of the slight sheen?

No, my Y wing actually has the AS-20 base coat. I think it's the led lighting in the photo that's added the sheen.

Here's a pic of the model with the AS-20 undercoat and yellows and greys added, prior to weathering.

From now on I use the oil paint base on all my Bandai kits. It's a lot simpler to get a good effect. Last kit I finished a few weeks ago was the original Tie. Came up really nice.

6F40599D-8781-4373-8E17-5D14940DF490_zpsvqd86lc5.jpg

9C270BAF-5CD3-4146-8F38-C3AC5BDC1B67_zps9k0jy8cb.jpg

I don't feel like I've ever had any trouble with tamiya obscuring detail at any scale when spraying from a can, as long as I'm very careful. But maybe I've had it happen and just didn't notice.
If your carefull, yes. I'm just not so carefull :). I like using an airbrush, gives me lots more control. Airbrush also works great for pre-shading or black-basing first and lots of other color mix variations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sculpting a galaxy. Huge book on the star wars model workshop and every model produced - actual original photos from the day - great book.

Note however, that picture of Gold Leader in Sculpting a Galaxy is of an unfinished paint job

More weathering and "battle damage" was added prior to filming

D5giPCE.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back